Jack Monroe #76 £300 mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the poorest of us all?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You poor thing! Take lots of pain and try and get some rest. Hopefully the root canal will ease much of the pain. At least you’ve got Tattle to keep you entertained.

I was getting all the feels at the loveliness of the cabal when I was catching up on the threads this morning. You’re all such a bunch of wonderfully warm, talented and caring fraus. I so wish we could all meet each other some day; I’d love to put some names to faces. Perhaps someday we might.
Thank you, I have been existing on pain killers, soft food and naps.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I’m very fond of tuna so can’t wait to see what monstrosity she comes up with.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I’m not bothered by age differences per se, but 18 years older, wealthier, more respected within the same field, posh background etc etc etc it does feel icky now thinking about it. As the much older and more experienced of the two, Allegra shouldn’t have had someone who was that much younger (and says she’s got PTSD/is vulnerable) moving in with her so quickly, especially with small child in tow. It does look a bit like she picked up a waif in the street and kept her as a pet 🤢 should add that I like Allegra still, I just think that their relationship was a huge mistake, clearly, on both sides. Like I don’t think Jack necessarily fucked it up on her own, I think A was outrageous moving J in, in the first place.
Maybe she spun a tale about her housing situation? 🤥🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 14
ok, I’m on a grunka and unless I skim read too fast I don’t think anyone’s mentioned the weirdness of this (apologies if I’m wrong).

Why the duck does she bang on about her son’s “agency” so much? Heard her say it on the Venetia Faulkner podcast as well (where she was horrendously rude to Venetia’s now husband).

Such an odd terminology to use exclusively when talking about him.
I strongly suspect she's read "A Very Brief Introduction to Marx" and thinks that banging on about agency makes her sound clever.

What she's missing is that agents generally only act within the bounds of structures or systems, and the micro-system that she's created for SB is so fucked it doesn't matter whether he feels he has "agency" over his sandwich shape, the poor little sod is being brought up (up to 50% of the time, anyway) by a narcissist. That'll leave him disempowered no matter whether he's eating bollock sausages on square or rectangular bread.

I also wonder whether she's making a bit of a dig at her own parents by making out that she's so free and easy and allowing SB to make all these Very Important Choices. Can you imagine the rage when she was told no? Still simmering away two decades later.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Sending get well vibes to you and hope you are able to get some sleep between now and tomorrow.
My ouchy jaw is doing better, on final day of antibiotics here. We need to have a separate group for ouchy mouths 🤗
Thank you. I hope you're feeling better soon x

Reactions: 13
I have never seen her recipie for corn beef hash. I know loads of people low on funds who make that. You can actually make one tin of corn beef, beans and a few spuds make a pretty decent sized filling meal. Also colcannon is another good way to use up leftover food and also is quite fashionable ( weirdly) at the moment.
When I was pregnant with my daughter I had a craving for corned beef hash with beans and had it at least once a week. The corned beef would be fried with diced potatoes and onions until everything was crispy. It was heavenly. No added fat was needed as far as I remember - just preheat the pan!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I'd develop a passion for cookery pretty damn sharpish too if my only alternative was eating Jack's slop.
Good grief, reading this just made me lol so hard I've given the game away at work that I am in fact not as busy as I was pretending to be :LOL:🙈

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I’m very fond of tuna so can’t wait to see what monstrosity she comes up with.
Just give the lad chicken nuggets, chips and beans ffs. Home made nuggets, hand cut chips if you like. Then some fruit. For pudding, not randomly cooked in breadcrumbs or chucked in with the beans.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Good grief, reading this just made me lol so hard I've given the game away at work that I am in fact not as busy as I was pretending to be :LOL:🙈
My eyes completely skipped over the word "lol" in your comment, so I was thinking "Steady on there!"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
As someone said earlier-anything populist & she’s on it like a fly around tit. Never actually bothers to put in any effort to make a difference. Just jumps on and off bandwagons she knows will get her likes.
It's the same as people in the West going on about dog meat festivals in China. Seriously, we have enough animal welfare issues of our own and unless you are a perfect, longterm vegan who is zero waste and rescues battery hens you really shouldn't shout about what everyone else (the elite! The Chinese!) is getting wrong. It's the laziest of all activism because it only involves furiously typing with your sausage fingers and no action.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Fraus I've just made myself the loveliest panzanella with avocado and red onion. I add roasted sweetcorn to it and honestly it's like summer in a bowl. Sod off grey skies!

Can't believe we've almost made it through another thread already.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Fraus I've just made myself the loveliest panzanella with avocado and red onion. I add roasted sweetcorn to it and honestly it's like summer in a bowl. Sod off grey skies!

Sounds a bit...textured? Maybe you could blend it? xx

• Haha
Reactions: 50

Add stuffing and vinegar and scamper away

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Correct me if I’m wrong fraus, however wouldn’t it have been more beneficial for her to do like a homemade pizza?

So when Covid first hit, you may all remember I did some volunteering in a food bank. And as part of that we put together a pack for adults and children with a ‘create your own pizza’. A fun activity where parents can spend time with their children creating their own pizza and putting toppings on and having a chat over what’s the best flavours. They went down a treat, the feedback was great and it cost on average about £1.50 per pack and that was with juice cartons for children - all using donations from the local supermarkets. We’d put the cheese and tomato and pepperoni and ham in little containers for them to do it themselves and some pizza dough.

Now considering the fact JM apparently spends her evenings with her son, wouldn’t it be great for him to have an input on the foods he eats, coupled with some time with Mama and discussion. Oh and something that isn’t a bake or slop?! This sort of thing would be great to go to her jackolytes with, but I think it requires far too much brainpower for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
On the restrictions, they aren't as non-sensical if you think about it.

A children's birthday party of 30 people - even outside - is likely to involve far more close, personal interaction than a grouse shoot on a moor (not advocating grouse shooting, just pointing out it's not a close contact sport.)
Also a shoot is usually a business and pays wages, hires catering/beaters, brings in consumers to stay and spend locally. We used to live on a country estate (in the peasant accommodation) and the country sports were a thriving enterprise that employed people and benefited the local businesses.

Reactions: 11
I hope she goes with something like a tuna pasta bake, simple cheap and filling and of you like tuna ( unlike me) tasty.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.