Jack Monroe #76 £300 mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the poorest of us all?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why’s she making dinner now?
It’s probably not 'dinner' it’s probably for the web, 'pretend dinner' that will go stone cold whilst she photographes it. Then she will upload it. then they will have proper food courtesy of the Ocado delivery

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Jack: I'm not hysterical

also Jack: everything she's posted on twitter ever.

and surely I'm not hysterical would be a good thread title!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
It’s probably not 'dinner' it’s probably for the web, 'pretend dinner' that will go stone cold whilst she photographes it. Then she will upload it. then they will have proper food courtesy of the Ocado delivery
I have a sneaking suspicion all has not gone well with the tuna, courgette and dead squirrel bake.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
I honestly don't get her beef with another lockdown, she works from home so she can look after her kid, she's up in the middle of the night so she can work (tweet) then. He's a big kid so can entertain himself for a few hours while she works. In fact he would probably prefer it, more time for gaming etc.

She actually had work during the last one and got paid well.....🤷🤷🤦🤦

No not squirrel nutkin
Possibly because she thinks that’s what most of the slightly lefter leaning general working class think, so she’s saying that’s how she feels too.

Or, possibly more likely, we had a lockdown recently and haven’t even fully left it yet, and because she’s miserable with whatever situation she’s in and that was one she was most recently in she attributes her misery to that. Even though, as we can all see, she doesn’t go out and works from home so why should she even care. Surely like any self respecting lefty (like she likes to pretend she is) she should be more concerned about the greater good/general populace.

Also she’s one of those irritating blindly anti-Tories, and don’t get me wrong, I didn’t vote for them and I’m not a fan, but she’s the type that is just anti any decision they make no matter how necessary it is or if the opposition would have almost certainly done the exact same thing.

She’s just not as clever as she thinks she is.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
No dinner pics yet!
This whole £20 a week thing is pointless. Showing your shopping and your receipts and then not bothering to showing how that actually feeds 2 people 3 times a day for 7 days. How is that helpful?

Where’s my slop of the day picture anyway...
The £20 budget thing is not very well thought out anyway.
For example, for people who are genuinely on a budget, a one-pot meal is going to be cheaper than one that needs two hobs plus the oven on for 40 minutes (as well as a blender) - like that sausage and mash thing.
I also don’t think it’s right to cost the recipes up based on the yellow-sticker price. That doesn’t help her followers, cos they’ll not be sure they can get the items for the same price. Discounted items are a bit arbitrary.
I wonder whether these sort of things occur to her?

Reactions: 37
I am absolutely buzzing for tonight’s tuna curry with added dead squirrel she foraged for in Waitrose car park. Hope she posts it soon so I can copy for my tea.
oh pur-lease Jack has neither the skills nor the ambition to forage a squirrel alive or dead! Only dead foraged yellow sticker squirrels picked up in the Tesco chilled section.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Jack: "I'm not hysterical"

Also Jack: *collapses on the floor for hours at the sight of a 'for sale' sign before getting the saw out*

It's half past six, Brenda's absolutely starving, Jack! Get it together.
tbf Brenda probably isn't hungry this evening because she's been chucking her guts up all day....

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 31
You mean SB won’t declare it - the best dinner ever!!

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 24
Maybe her famous salmon paste pasta will make an appearance soon. She ‘cooked’ it on This Morning for Eamon & Ruth.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 22
My father's speciality dish of corned beef hash (saved for those luxury camping holidays) play a major part in why I am now vegetarian.
My Mum would not have corned beef in the house. That and parsnips. She was traumatised in the war having to eat various corned beef concoctions.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Possibly because she thinks that’s what most of the slightly lefter leaning general working class think, so she’s saying that’s how she feels too.

Or, possibly more likely, we had a lockdown recently and haven’t even fully left it yet, and because she’s miserable with whatever situation she’s in and that was one she was most recently in she attributes her misery to that. Even though, as we can all see, she doesn’t go out and works from home so why should she even care. Surely like any self respecting lefty (like she likes to pretend she is) she should be more concerned about the greater good/general populace.

Also she’s one of those irritating blindly anti-Tories, and don’t get me wrong, I didn’t vote for them and I’m not a fan, but she’s the type that is just anti any decision they make no matter how necessary it is or if the opposition would have almost certainly done the exact same thing.

She’s just not as clever as she thinks she is.
But that's the thing Nicola sturgeon has even locked down and even more so than bojo and Nicola cannot stand the bones off Boris, so if there was a way she could do the opposite I am sure she would have.

It's not like he's gone off on his own and done this the rest of the UK as done so too and although they are ultimately ruled by him they have their own policies. She's just an angry Harpy.

Really? What could possibly go wrong ?!
Takeaway pizza??

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I’m Northern Irish and I’ve never had instant mash — not keen (love champ though), but definitely agree. Surely actual potatoes are easier, cheaper, more nutritious — unless ... you’re living in the Space Station?

Hmm, maybe JM is an actual Space Cadet
OSLO. Outer Space Liaison Officer.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Oh my god, she's turned into the worst parts of the Mumsnet AIBU forum.

Am I being unreasonable...to say that Boris is a posh bleep who is using lockdown to genocide the poor while lining Gordon Ramsey's pockets?!

Yes you are. HTH.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
My Mum would not have corned beef in the house. That and parsnips. She was traumatised in the war having to eat various corned beef concoctions.
Babe same! She thought it was common too! When one of my mates introduced me to corned beef and piccalilli on a massive white oven bottom muffin I thought I had landed in heaven 😋 But probs haven’t ever bought a tin of corned beef in my adult life.
My mother cooked like Jack...Fuxking horrifically. She, like many others mums here, was also a narc...still is in her 90s!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Can I just say, as hilarious as your posts are, I usually start laughing before I've even read them because I catch sight of Audrey's fearsome visage. Jack cooking for the Chawners, now that's something I'd happily pay my TV licence for.
I honestly think the show where the chawners got bullied by Lorraine Kelly into losing weight is one of my all time tv highlights.
ALMOST as good as Matt Tebbut almost boffing up at the sight of anything Jack cooked.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.