Jack Monroe #74 The 19th most important gay in 2014

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
although I think it’s fair enough for someone to use their wealth or successes to improve their lives, this is it- someone like Marcus Rashford or Jamie Oliver will acknowledge their privilege and say look I want to pay this forward while still being able to use their roots as evidence of their knowledge of a situation.

Jack implies in various ways that she is still suffering from poverty and disadvantage and this is simply not true.

I do feel conflicted often posting on tattle because I see that the thread subjects read here and are affected by what’s said. I also see that she does clearly have mental health issues, as do a lot of us here. And I genuinely wish her no malice. I just feel that here we can discuss things openly without any confrontation or invading of space. She chose to come here that day we (the Royal ‘we’ of the cabal) don’t go to her.

People in the public eye asking for money for nefarious reasons need to be monitored and there is insufficient regulation.

her behaviour may be influenced by her ADHD, autism, etc however these may also be being used as excuses. there’s been such a lot of great advice on these threads she could really turn things around. Have a private personal account I’m sure a lot of people inc. Nigella would still follow that and blow off your steam there. Have a large professional account run by management and share any scathing essays you want to go viral via it.

apologies for lack of capital letters I CBA correcting them.

one thing to add is I’m also one who worries about her potentially harming herself in some way, the mentions of CF etc weighed heavy, and I’d like to remind people that we are not to blame. Saying these things is quite abusive really and is designed to just get us to stop discussing the inconsistencies and shut it down. there are an awful lot of very kind people here and I know they are being caused moral and emotional harm by the allegations and suggestions made.

no influencer or blogger needs to read this forum, I’m sure it’s very tempting but it’s a choice.
I agree wholeheartedly with you, dear Alan.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
one thing to add is I’m also one who worries about her potentially harming herself in some way, the mentions of CF etc weighed heavy, and I’d like to remind people that we are not to blame. Saying these things is quite abusive really and is designed to just get us to stop discussing the inconsistencies and shut it down. there are an awful lot of very kind people here and I know they are being caused moral and emotional harm by the allegations and suggestions made.

no influencer or blogger needs to read this forum, I’m sure it’s very tempting but it’s a choice.
Her way of harming herself is by destroying her relationships with other people. She is far too vain to hurt herself directly.

Reactions: 12
I am constantly confused as to why Cat Deely is still in the news and treated as a celebrity - literally what has she done since SMTV live? Or was it Live and kicking?
She had a few years of success in the states presenting reality TV shows.

Peter Kay's Britain's Got the Pop Factor and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly on Ice was probably the best thing she's been in. Although maybe shouldn't mention that show, it's probably seen as transphobic, class phobic and disableist these days.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Her way of harming herself is by destroying her relationships with other people. She is far too vain to hurt herself directly.
Perhaps. I wouldn’t like to say, I imagine sometimes she’d see it as a challenge when we laugh it off or a way to draw attention or lay blame and sometimes I think she’s really lost control. It is worrying watching sometimes but I do think some of her behaviour is very manipulative and has evidently worked to produce this mad echo chamber on twitter where she snaps the head off some poor person who then responds by bowing and scraping to her for fear of having caused offence.

Reactions: 20
Perhaps. I wouldn’t like to say, I imagine sometimes she’d see it as a challenge when we laugh it off or a way to draw attention or lay blame and sometimes I think she’s really lost control. It is worrying watching sometimes but I do think some of her behaviour is very manipulative and has evidently worked to produce this mad echo chamber on twitter where she snaps the head off some poor person who then responds by bowing and scraping to her for fear of having caused offence.
I might be very hard-hearted, but I cannot abide mental health being weaponised. It's emotional blackmail, and I ain't paying up.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I might be very hard-hearted, but I cannot abide mental health being weaponised. It's emotional blackmail, and I ain't paying up.
Yes I agree it has been weaponised. But then it visibly still exists, so I do also worry, tbh my worry is more for people here who it’s being weaponised against though. I don’t want anyone here thinking they’re in some way responsible for what she may or may not do or be going through. Our commentary is sometimes taking the piss out of her personality but as a media personality really, the real irritations with her are professionally & that’s fair bloody comment.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
From what she’s said, I suspect her real life relationships are much like that too.
I remember that comment from her son’s dad saying that he had to “keep the peace”. And we saw all the pass-agg comments directed towards Louisa when Jack was doing DKL. I imagine everyone has to walk on eggshells around her.

• Sad
Reactions: 37
Yes I agree it has been weaponised. But then it visibly still exists, so I do also worry, tbh my worry is more for people here who it’s being weaponised against though. I don’t want anyone here thinking they’re in some way responsible for what she may or may not do or be going through. Our commentary is sometimes taking the piss out of her personality but as a media personality really, the real irritations with her are professionally & that’s fair bloody comment.
Ah I get you. The "be kind" thing became a handy shield for bullies, in a sick gaslighty way, didn't it? If we stick to facts and fair play, we do no harm.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
From what she’s said, I suspect her real life relationships are much like that too.
I remember that comment from her son’s dad saying that he had to “keep the peace”. And we saw all the pass-agg comments directed towards Louisa when Jack was doing DKL. I imagine everyone has to walk on eggshells around her.
This is where those of us who grew up with narc mothers find it so triggering I think. You can imagine that if she’s like she is in public with her followers then she’s got to be similar at home. This may not be true. She exhibits behaviour which is quite terrifying emotionally, extremely unpredictable and deliberately worrying. She gaslights and like you say it makes you walk on eggshells.

Here our ground is pretty firm and she doesn’t like that. So I think the last week or so she’s been doing things to try to create those eggshells here like this disappearing act and I want to reassure people that we are being manipulated and aren’t the ones creating any drama.

Ah I get you. The "be kind" thing became a handy shield for bullies, in a sick gaslighty way, didn't it? If we stick to facts and fair play, we do no harm.
Yes, exactly this dear heart.

ETA: Back to talking bobbins now I’m EXHAUSTED

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Oohhh let me lay into Jack Monroe! :LOL:

My main issue with Jack is that she is apparently all things to all people. She's claimed so many heritages and illnesses it's fascinating! Greek, Cypriot, Irish, Jewish (not saying you couldn't be a mix of all these identities but it's funny to me she claims them and will spend 3 weeks a time banging on about being a Greek immigrant, being oppressed because of her Irishness, etc) - you name it, Jack has that heritage/background. She's also done some wildly cringey things like change her Twitter name to her name in Greek (desperately looking for a way to look special, highly doubt she speaks any of the languages from all the different nationalities she claims to be). And her illnesses - sure, I'm not saying she doesn't have some illnesses, whether mental or physical but the woman has EVERYTHING. She's almost as bad as J*meela J. Everything with JM is the Oppression Olympics, and she came to win. She swings between "I'm a hot shot bestselling author" to "I'm poor and ill, also I'm Greek and people are racist to me for that :(" (although her "Greekness" is easily substituted for being Irish, or Norwegian, or Russian, or Armenian, depending on what 'identity' she wants to try out next).

She is so so cringe, I don't know how people can stand following her on Twitter, Instagram etc. No wonder she's depressed when she's always finding reasons to be depressed and getting into arguments and detailing her personal mental health issues (whether true or imagined) for sympathy all over the internet. A very messed up individual who is desperate to be seen as an idol and a hero. She's not a bad writer, and some of her recipes are ok, but it's the desperation and manipulation of her identity/history in order to make her as different, unique and oppressed as possible that irks me. I don't care where your parents are from, Jack. Mine were immigrants, I don't constantly bang on about it and think people need to bow at my feet. Also, she's white! Sure, some white immigrants faced xenophobia when migrating to the UK/America or whatever, but the way she speaks about it whenever she gets on this topic is so embarrassing to the point it's offensive. I'm surprised she hasn't tried the "I'm a person of colour" card yet, using some thin link between Greece and Syria or something. (I've seen the woke mafia do this so often, claiming they're POC because they're Italian/Spanish/Cypriot). It's only a matter of time, I'm sure. :sick:

• Heart
Reactions: 47
She annoys the ever-loving duck out of me and I find much of her behaviour online to be manipulative and disingenuous, but I don't wish her any harm and do worry sometimes when she posts about her mental health. As someone who also struggles (as many others on these threads do) I'd hate to think that my posts were contributing to her feeling low about herself. I'm genuinely always taking the piss rather than attempting to be cruel. Having said that, she really doesn't help herself and she can't reasonably expect people not to comment on or question stuff she puts online (often to the point of over-sharing).

Now duck off.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Absolutely bloody right! In my opinion, a lot of her behaviour is likely down to innate personality traits as opposed to her being 'unwell'. She gets excused of an awful lot because people are concerned she isn't well.

A look back through her history shows us she's always been pretty much the same, same behaviours throughout.
I dont feel sorry for her.. I do feel sorry for her son though.

Trigger alert.. mental health discussion..

As someone who grew up with one parent with severe mental health issues depression, hypochondriac, munchausen syndrome, gad, sectioned multiple times through psychotic episodes etc. The other parent had the opportunity to take me away from it and didnt. Mental health issues are awful but do children deserve to be subjected to it ? No they dont and are they able to understand and effectively process the emotional side of all these things no they are not.

While they may show no issues at the time for years after it leaves you dealing with many issues yourself in later life. The sons father should take him away from the chaos of her life and the behaviour she displays and see he with supervised visits until she gets the help she needs and is stable enough to be calm enough to look after her son properly for at least the majority of the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I know she has mh problems, that is indisputable, but I spent a few miserable years attending drop-in groups, post-hospital, and I know how it works. It’s pure and utter manipulation, fostered and enhanced by staff who allow this because they are terrified of being brought to court for failing their duty.
The mistake that a lot of the Woke Brigade make is in assuming that the person concerned is less intelligent, and more vulnerable than they actually are. So they patronise and coddle the ‘victim’, to the extent that said ‘victim’ remains in a dependent state of mind. But an intelligent ‘victim’, as Jack is, knows that this is a good thing and can be utilised to their advantage. Thus , the situation continues in perpetuity. If anyone here, who has been in the same situation, thinks I’m wrong then I will absolutely accept that - it’s just my personal experience. Sorry for the long post.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
It's a bit like the classic "if you leave, I'll kill myself" threat that keeps people in toxic relationships, innit.

I think a lot of us here have mental health issues, just from reading the comments (myself included.) And I think in life, generally, a lot of people do. It's mad to use it as an excuse for tit behaviour because the Venn diagram for those with MH issues and those who are arsewipes probably looks similar to the Venn diagram to those who think ducks are quite cute, really, and those who are arsewipes. I'm not sure there's much correlation, not least causation. So it grinds my gears when someone says (as they did to me when someone was foul to me at my old job) "oh don't mind her, she's depressed at the moment and having a really hard time." Like...so am I? And being picked on has just made me hate myself even more? But I don't broadcast it to excuse behaviour (and I don't behave like a knob, anyway) and no one has even bothered to ask if I'm okay, so like...?

I think what I'm trying to say is that people she's been aggy with, or people she's begged money off, or people who she's just straight up offended by being offensive - and then blamed her mental health for - are just as likely to have poor mental health themselves. It doesn't make you unique and it doesn't excuse your behaviour.

We're all human at the end of the day 🤷‍♀️

On the flip side, when she goes off the grid like this I do genuinely worry about her. Do I think she's capable of doing herself harm? Yes, probably. I think anyone has the potential to. And as much as I really, really, really dislike the woman, I don't wish her any harm. It would be amazing to see if she finally went "RIGHT. Enough is enough." and sorted herself the duck out. The saddest part is is that when she first started getting famous, there was so much promise! People were listening to her and some of the things she was saying made sense. If she'd been more open and honest about her back story and support networks, and not like money and (minor) fame and sodding Cotswald dressers take over, she could've done some good. She still could tbh. She has a big following. She could come back on Twitter today and make a huge public apology and start using her considerable privilege to start doing some actual good. She really could make a difference, and I always think people respect people who can admit when they've been a douche, and turn things around.

Sadly, I think the chances of this happening are about as high as my dog bringing me a cup of tea in the morning (in case you were wondering, low. She's a spaniel who wriggles so much she appears to, actually, be made up of two separate dogs.) But it would be amazing.

The way I see it, these threads will only either end when she makes that final stumble into utter irrelevancy, or when she sorts herself out and does something decent for once. I genuinely wish her good.

As much as I love this vile cabal of trolls, fraus and conspiracy wankers, hoping it'll be the latter, and it'll be soon.

(That was, like, x100 longer than I expected when I started typing. Apologies.)

• Heart
Reactions: 57
I know she has mh problems, that is indisputable, but I spent a few miserable years attending drop-in groups, post-hospital, and I know how it works. It’s pure and utter manipulation, fostered and enhanced by staff who allow this because they are terrified of being brought to court for failing their duty.
The mistake that a lot of the Woke Brigade make is in assuming that the person concerned is less intelligent, and more vulnerable than they actually are. So they patronise and coddle the ‘victim’, to the extent that said ‘victim’ remains in a dependent state of mind. But an intelligent ‘victim’, as Jack is, knows that this is a good thing and can be utilised to their advantage. Thus , the situation continues in perpetuity. If anyone here, who has been in the same situation, thinks I’m wrong then I will absolutely accept that - it’s just my personal experience. Sorry for the long post.
I agree with what you are saying. She clearly goes after others such as David Walliams for example. But what if DW has sever mental health issues but chooses not to illustrate that publicly ? No one can go after her though can they and no celebrity really can call her out on her constant manipulative bullshit, they cant because she chooses to share her mental health issues publicly.

Therefore JM is immune to ridicule / negativity or even just being called out ! Its wrong and it's very hypocritical.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
She seems awful. I do think she's weaponised her mental illness, she's a professional victim. Always "sad", something is always tragic and wrong, she's always amazing and brave though.

She's confused people being interested in her cheap and healthy recipes with being interested in her and people just aren't. Like with this house buying drama. I get it, we've got kids and we rent and quite frankly I don't like renting. We're not allowed to even put blue rack or 3m strips on the wall and you never know if your landlord will decide they're better off selling. So we're saving and if by the end of next year we only have enough for a two bed then that's good enough for me. She just lives in a world where she's a victim if all of her dreams don't come true and why isn't the horse spunk lasagne effort level enough? Why does she need to *try* or *save*? Surely buying sideboards and expensive candles is a basic human right!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.