Jack Monroe #66 A potato is a potato

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was never a jackolyte but someone I follow who I think is a bit of a prick kept sharing her bollocks. So I did some digging.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
She's certainly the biggest procrastinator I know and I know plenty including me. Look missy just get writing. No one needs to know these nuggets of wisdom.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I agree that it's inhuman that the DWP pay nurses way over what they would earn as nurses to adjudicate people's PIP claims, and it's fact that they receive bonuses for downgrading applications...

Nonetheless, why is Jack only just getting onto this? She's so disastrously behind!!! This has been an issue for years and years. Yet only now, when she can make money from a book about it, can she muster any outrage.
It is not the DWP that pay PIP assessors, it is the companies that are contracted to carry out the assessments that employ them. The starting salary for an assessor is £35k not the 50k R Jackie states I assume that is for London based assessors. I think nurses salaries are comparable.

On your second point, it is not true that assessors get bonuses for downgrading applications. It is an urban myth. One that is so often trotted out it is believed without any evidence. So many people that appeal the decision are successful, and this process is costly, so incorrectly downgrading someone is counter productive.

This misinformation is so often repeated that it is no longer challenged and accepted as truth. It has the effect of stopping many people from applying for benefits they are entitled to.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
How can Louisa be so naive?

When Marcus Rashford did his campaign people said the vouchers had been going for years - but that he wanted to expand and modernise the scheme, make it outside term-time, etc, include a wider choice of shops.

With Jack it's all about feeding her ego, not about other people.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
I’m not sure who this book is aimed at?

Her fans? They won’t want to read it as it will be drier than her recipes.

MPs? No
Academics? No

Just her followers who will lap up any crap she puts out.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Who is she writing this book for? Who will benefit from it? Who will buy it? Nobody, that’s who! Not one sodding person. Jackie is such a kissass to posho Tory types, make me feel sick 🤢

• Sick
Reactions: 27
Out of idle interest, what has brought the lastest new members here? Were you previously Jackolytes?
I’d previously quite admired her fighting spirit, the Hopkins case, me also having experienced being very poor as a child, making do and mending etc. A friend bought us her first book (Pah! I’m beginning to think he doesn’t know me AT ALL 😉), and some of the recipes were ok, but most needed a hell of a lot of tweaking. Then my wife mentioned her Twitter feed and we said that this is a bit weird, she’s claiming poverty whilst being the author of a bestseller and I thought...haaang on. This doesn’t quite ring true. THEN she started on JO, who has done an incredible amount for childhood nutrition and whose recipes aren’t depressipes, I did a little googling and have been lurking on here since DKL. Took the plunge a wee while ago and here I am!

• Heart
Reactions: 50
This could, actually, be brilliant. Telling from Monroe’s reply she knows that she’s been caught out in a quite shameless lie. ‘Can’t believe’ = ‘forgot I told that one’. A quick google search does indeed reveal that the scheme was created in 2006, way way WAY before Monroe had even burned her middle class bridges. In fact, wouldn't Monroe have been still a teenager? And what, working in the fire service?
This is a big, fat BUSTED moment. Sadly, it’ll be difficult to communicate this to her super fans...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Who is she writing this book for? Who will benefit from it? Who will buy it? Nobody, that’s who! Not one sodding person. Jackie is such a kissass to posho Tory types, make me feel sick 🤢
it reminds me of that Chris Morris interview where he talks about being patted on the head by the court...he was talking about comedians but it was spot on and can also be applied to Jack!

Reactions: 12
Is this how out of touch with reality and normal-people-money Mackie is, that she thinks you can get 4 healthcare assistants out of fifty grand?

• Haha
Reactions: 20
This could, actually, be brilliant. Telling from Monroe’s reply she knows that she’s been caught out in a quite shameless lie. ‘Can’t believe’ = ‘forgot I told that one’. A quick google search does indeed reveal that the scheme was created in 2006, way way WAY before Monroe had even burned her middle class bridges. In fact, wouldn't Monroe have been still a teenager? And what, working in the fire service?
This is a big, fat BUSTED moment. Sadly, it’ll be difficult to communicate this to her super fans...
And what’s the betting that Monroe is nervously staring at her Twitter as we speak preying that her ex says no more, lest she digs the hole ever deeper. No no, much better to gloss over it with a tweet in 1, 2, 3...

And as for her media savvy ex, this does point to naivety as mentioned above. Unless of course she has *known* it to be a lie all along, and is just twisting the knife for shits and giggles... (Am hoping this to be the case)

• Haha
  • Heart
I wonder if Louisa has done it on purpose to catch her out in a lie?

• Wow
  • Heart
I wondered that too!! Vividly almost sounds sarcastic...
Yea. Maybe they’re both trolling her. Like they’ve got her number, her ex is taking the piss by repeating the lie and the MP is taking the piss back by playing along with the idea that a fantasist-blogger essentially explained his job to him. And all the while, Monroe is obliviously shrieking, ego first, about how selfless she is...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I can see this book being filled with examples of horrible deaths due to the system, peppered with tales of how this is almost what happened to her. She's going to go over the top and any conversation or decent points will get lost amongst her wanting to make things as extreme as possible.

Clearly in a country as rich as ours, we should be supporting those in need better. But this isn't anywhere near how change can be made. How easy it will be for those with the power to make changes to dismiss a shrill angry woman with no expert knowledge telling them off.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It is not the DWP that pay PIP assessors, it is the companies that are contracted to carry out the assessments that employ them. The starting salary for an assessor is £35k not the 50k R Jackie states I assume that is for London based assessors. I think nurses salaries are comparable.

On your second point, it is not true that assessors get bonuses for downgrading applications. It is an urban myth. One that is so often trotted out it is believed without any evidence. So many people that appeal the decision are successful, and this process is costly, so incorrectly downgrading someone is counter productive.

This misinformation is so often repeated that it is no longer challenged and accepted as truth. It has the effect of stopping many people from applying for benefits they are entitled to.
I have a feeling the fact checkers (not to mention legal) are going to have a field day with this new book of Jack’s.

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.