Jack Monroe #560 Publication cancelled

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Barbara Rich is talking about Simon Harris here, and his endorsements by people like Carol Vorderman, but I'm sure she is also referring to guest/Nigella.
'Reputation laundering' - spot on.

View attachment 2671888
It's interesting to see Barbara Rich weighing in on this. She's clocked the Monroe issue too and has some good points to make around it all. She's not my cup of tea, politically speaking, but she is sensible on this stuff. And a barrister lends a certain respectability to a debate that has been dominated on Xitter by anonymous accounts and some serious internet weirdos. (Legal Gengar: looking at you).

Reactions: 43
I wonder if she knows what a truly golden goose egg she pissed up the wall. Ironically she could have had the life she craves if she’d just put in 25% effort.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Max Gogarty says hello
Max Gogarty!! I was there in real time. It was a glorious uprising of Graun readers, singularly unimpressed by the pathetic sub skins jokes about nurses and the semi racist chat about India being full of dust and snakes (as opposed to, ya know, modern bustling cities and multi billion $ tech companies). That was the best BTL ever, the Graun travel editor turned up ineffectually bleating at people to be kind and promptly got ripped a new one. I think Max’s dad (the Guardian travel writer Paul Gogarty lest we forget) turned up at some point too to tell us how sad widdle Max was feeling as he began his expensive gap yah in India.

Truly a great day. Thank you for the reminder.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Max Gogarty!! I was there in real time. It was a glorious uprising of Graun readers, singularly unimpressed by the pathetic sub skins jokes about nurses and the semi racist chat about India being full of dust and snakes (as opposed to, ya know, modern bustling cities and multi billion $ tech companies). That was the best BTL ever, the Graun travel editor turned up ineffectually bleating at people to be kind and promptly got ripped a new one. I think Max’s dad (the Guardian travel writer Paul Gogarty lest we forget) turned up at some point too to tell us how sad widdle Max was feeling as he began his expensive gap yah in India.

Truly a great day. Thank you for the reminder.
I know the travel ed and he still breaks out in a cold sweat at the mere mention of the name. I first met him about 10 years after and it was one of the first things I asked him.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Same !! We are having our kitchen done at the moment and I’m determined to make sure I get rid of everything we don’t need when we move it all back in. That’s why I’m swooning over Nigel Slaters home at the moment. That’s the calm I want too.
Mr Beacon and I spent an enjoyable New Year's Day systematically going through the kitchen and chucking out anything we didn't use or like, or any food and spices that we'd let go out of date, and then organising all the drawers and cupboards so everything is visible and accessible. We've only been in this house 18 months and it's amazing what has been accumulated and got out of place since we moved in - or was actually in the wrong place all along. Not sure whether he really understood my logic of storing sieves, colanders and graters on the same shelf as "they all have holes in", mind.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
20240106_170553.jpg

@rage naan R U OK hun? U gotta stop torturing urself lik dis babes. 4get bout Fat Scam + her slop gun. Its jus fraus 4eva babe. We got ya back hun. Dat jazzy shoo snek iz bad 4 ur mental elf. xoxoxoxo

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Barbara Rich is talking about Simon Harris here, and his endorsements by people like Carol Vorderman, but I'm sure she is also referring to guest/Nigella.
'Reputation laundering' - spot on.

View attachment 2671888
She definitely is. She called out Jack specifically last September (ss @Knitonepurlone)
IMG_2172.jpeg

The only reason I remember that is because I had to look up who she was and turns out…
Barbara’s got a better £5 book token poetry prize than Jack too! 😂
IMG_2173.jpeg

Funnily enough, teen Jack was also “bookish”, rebelling against her strict upbringing of never, ever reading while shouting at the top of one’s lungs at all times.
IMG_2174.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
Oh my goodness fraus, I have been sucked into reading the last two threads and now I am pondering reading the whole CHAOI from the beginning! I'm guessing she'll be lying low for a while so I'll have time to catch up?

I remember becoming aware of her years ago - like 2012-ish. I read her sad, sad story and thought "bullshitter" but then paid her no mind at all for years. And all THIS has been going on! It's quite amazing all the opportunities she's been given and all the money she's had chucked at her, for her to have literally p*ssed it up a wall.

Also, British Heart Foundation chazzers are usually very switched on to labels/designer goods because they ebay the good stuff. I don't believe her story about the blazer for a second.
It's mad how many of us clocked her instantly way back when. I remember ranting to my then-girlfriend (who, unlike me or Jack, is an actual lesbian who doesn't fall on a dick or three after snorting a line of poppyseeds) about how nobody genuinely poor would leave a near £30k job. I can't believe she's got away with it for this long, taking advantage of well meaning people.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
'Bubble bath' in a squash bottle 🙄 Wasn't there a public information film about kids drinking bleach stored in a lemonade bottle?
Of course, she didn't have a child in the house most of the week. Hope the bubble bath got used up before Tuesday mornings.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
I know the travel ed and he still breaks out in a cold sweat at the mere mention of the name. I first met him about 10 years after and it was one of the first things I asked him.
Ok but listen I’m sure the travel editor is a nice guy and all but did he not THINK, as he blithely passed the piece for publication, how his readers might receive it? Was he blissfully unaware? Or had he been smoking weed all day?

• Haha
Reactions: 23
A browse through that thread: guest was posting about making her own bubble bath in the slow cooker and we got this absolutely deranged expression

Is that the "bubble bath in a juice bottle" thing that they tell you NOT to do if you have any children in the house?

Now granted she doesn't live in Southend but I have a friend who writes about fashion for various glossies and is very big on zero-waste, sustainability, etc. so buys most of her clothes second-hand. She goes around a lot of charity shops that sell designer/other high quality in stuff (some in Essex) and they're still pretty expensive, just not as much as they would be new. Not 50p for sure!
It's "charity shop pricing" according to people who don't actually go into charity shops, which is probably a lot of JM's audience so they'd never notice anything off about this claim. They donate to the charity shops, but they don't buy things from them, except possibly some charity Christmas cards from Oxfam once a year so everyone knows that they Care About Things.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
It's mad how many of us clocked her instantly way back when. I remember ranting to my then-girlfriend (who, unlike me or Jack, is an actual lesbian who doesn't fall on a dick or three after snorting a line of poppyseeds) about how nobody genuinely poor would leave a near £30k job. I can't believe she's got away with it for this long, taking advantage of well meaning people.
Exactly that. I remember reading this and seeing the ridiculous accompanying picture of ol sadface leaning morosely against the wall back in 2013 and thinking then she was a bleeping charlatan and none of it rang true. Anyone who’s grown up in or around genuine poverty could see through her and her “story” instantly.
Then she got that effing recipe column in the Guardian which was just 😮 week after week. Then as I’m not in the UK, (thankfully) lost track of her until here then was gobsmacked by the level of the grift.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Ok but listen I’m sure the travel editor is a nice guy and all but did he not THINK, as he blithely passed the piece for publication, how his readers might receive it? Was he blissfully unaware? Or had he been smoking weed all day?
his story is that it was cheap content at the alter of “reader engagement” and, like most journalists, he’s a lazy hack who takes the easy option.

He did not foresee a backlash

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
A browse through that thread: guest was posting about making her own bubble bath in the slow cooker and we got this absolutely deranged expression

'Bubble bath' in a squash bottle 🙄 Wasn't there a public information film about kids drinking bleach stored in a lemonade bottle?
Of course, she didn't have a child in the house most of the week. Hope the bubble bath got used up before Tuesday mornings.
20240106_175404.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.