Jack Monroe #560 Publication cancelled

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
See? This is what I mean! No way did she find a Nicole Farhi jacket for 50p. No. Way.

It’s constant this flaunting of expensive stuff then making outlandish claims about it being gifted or found. Or being asked where she got something and claiming it’s in the wash so she can’t check the label when it’s obvious its designer and she doesn’t want to admit.

Look im the last person to pronounce on luxury goods because the most I’ve ever spent on a single garment was £140 and even that made me feel physically light headed, but if you look at all the designer stuff she’s accidentally let slip on SM and consider that’s probably just the tip of the iceberg, well I reckon her habits been costing thousands a week at certain points.

Remember this was all verified by Von89 who knew her personally and came on here for a teeny bit in 2022.

So yeah I reckon she’s out of control at times. Still she must’ve figured she can always claw it back with 800 words on how she’s got to use patio lights instead of bulbs eh.
This, the few very nice things I have are a resort of working hard and saving. If someone comments on my nice handbag for example, I won’t boast, but I’ll say thank you, I worked hard for it. When you get to the point that start lying to downplay stuff that’s so much hard work for yourself. Not saying you should own to please others but if she is just a “working class girl that made good” she has no reason to lie. But she got it all with money grifted from people poorer than her.

Reactions: 40
I can do videos, without my face, if someone really wants it done.

The comments about her not knowing true poverty are spot on. As previously wanged on about,I had a shopping addiction and never had any money as a result. I wasn't earning bad money, I had no dependents, I was just very stupid (being blunt) and spending became my comfort blanket, ironically especially when I was worrying about money. You don't need to tell yourself to spend less money when you don't have it in the first place.

Very glad Harris is being called out.I meant to contact that baby milk charity asking why he didn't just encourage people to donate to them directly. I asked him on Twitter but he ignored me.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
Hmm, I've got a shiny, tiny doubt about the Nicole Farhi costing 99p in the first place and then having its price slashed to 50p.
Purely because, no one in a shop would put a tag through the lining and the main fabric at the back, in case it made a hole (a kind of well). You always ping it through the label, it's quicker and easier too.

Nope. Jack has simply laid a price tag and the remains of a plastic tag from something else on the jacket here.
Yep. That jacket has been laid on a floor to take a photo. Otherwise, the weight would pull the shoulders onto the hanger.

Reactions: 36
See? This is what I mean! No way did she find a Nicole Farhi jacket for 50p. No. Way.

It’s constant this flaunting of expensive stuff then making outlandish claims about it being gifted or found. Or being asked where she got something and claiming it’s in the wash so she can’t check the label when it’s obvious its designer and she doesn’t want to admit.

Look im the last person to pronounce on luxury goods because the most I’ve ever spent on a single garment was £140 and even that made me feel physically light headed, but if you look at all the designer stuff she’s accidentally let slip on SM and consider that’s probably just the tip of the iceberg, well I reckon her habits been costing thousands a week at certain points.

Remember this was all verified by Von89 who knew her personally and came on here for a teeny bit in 2022.

So yeah I reckon she’s out of control at times. Still she must’ve figured she can always claw it back with 800 words on how she’s got to use patio lights instead of bulbs eh.
BIB

If the slow cancellation of Jack's public influence is real, then that option is closed to her now. And that is a very good thing.

As you say, Moldy, and others, she's been able to bash out a woe-is-me article or rattle her PayPal tin every time her mad spending has brought her close to financial peril. That seems to have stopped now, thankfully.

In the weird accidental way that she managed to tap into the poverty zeitgeist just at the height of the global banking crash, she's now also weirdly riding the wave as the public mood turns on the grifters, large and small, who've been profiting from the poverty crisis and the pandemic over these past few years.

Just like the mood on this thread, there's a general feeling that the British public are fed up with bad government, with corruption at all levels, the breakdown of services, the trashing of public institutions and infrastructure. Interestingly, the sub postmasters scandal seems to be a tipping point, which may actually finally see some people held to proper account through the law. Also, we'll hopefully get a new government in a year and that will force some change, if not all the change some of us want to see.

Adjacent to this is a newfound distrust of this cohort of online con artists who've been trafficking sob stories for profit using technology to do so. They're no different to the snake oil salesmen who used to peddle fake medicines door-to-door or the black market profiteers who made money siphoning off fuel and flogging canned foods under the counter during WW2. Eventually the worm turns and they're shown up for the crooks they are.

Whether or not the law and the police have sufficient resources and power to go after individuals is questionable. But in the meantime, these people are less welcome in the public square and fewer people are falling for their schtick so they will have to slink away into the shadows or come up with a new con. Ultimately, it's a hopeful scenario for anyone wanting justice to prevail.

Thanks for everyone's insights over the last day. The bald facts of Jack's overspending is so shocking -- it's good to have it all laid out and analysed.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Hmm, I've got a shiny, tiny doubt about the Nicole Farhi costing 99p in the first place and then having its price slashed to 50p.
Purely because, no one in a shop would put a tag through the lining and the main fabric at the back, in case it made a hole (a kind of well). You always ping it through the label, it's quicker and easier too.

Nope. Jack has simply laid a price tag and the remains of a plastic tag from something else on the jacket here.
Charity shops have experts who know what stuff is worth now, don't they? So they don't sell stuff that retails for this much for 50p?

1704552241700.png

Reactions: 52
Having spent 40 squid on wallpaper to use as a jotter, I doubt she looks for bargains just buys en mass
I noticed in this pic
Screenshot_20240106-125613.png

that she did get the drawer knobs discussed here - the blue ones that is
Screenshot_20240106-150218.png

Screenshot_20240102-233401.png

and it turns out they are £6.50 EACH on Amazon. And that doesn't look like they're for the kids bedroom like she was pretending they were

Screenshot_20240106-150342.png

Screenshot_20240106-150444.png
Screenshot_20240106-150516.png
Screenshot_20240106-150531.png

my point being that all the little stuff adds up fast.

And why would you pretend to do the quarter hack to save 12p a week and also spend £6.50 on each drawer knob
Why

• Haha
Reactions: 58
Charity shops have experts who know what stuff is worth now, don't they? So they don't sell stuff that retails for this much for 50p?

View attachment 2671705
The days of charity shops being run entirely by a couple of sweet old dears who’d price designer clothes at pennies has long long gone. Maybe there are a few one off local charity shops that still operate that way, but all the big and medium scale ones skim off the very best stuff for internet auctions and price the good stuff accordingly. Even books are subject to this. I was in one of my local charity shops recently, part of a small chain of shops raising money for a hospice. I picked up a book from a box of unsorted stuff and asked if I could buy it. I was given a firm “no” because apparently all their donated books go to a company who scan the barcodes to make sure no valuable books get sold for a quid.
Which is a very long winded way to say that while it could be second hand, theres bugger all chance the jacket cost her only 50p.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
I noticed in this pic View attachment 2671720
View attachment 2671729
View attachment 2671722

and it turns out they are £6.50 EACH on Amazon. And that doesn't look like they're for the kids bedroom like she was pretending they were

View attachment 2671732

And why would you pretend to do the quarter hack to save 12p a week and also spend £6.50 on each drawer knob
Why
Also, she's not modelling very helpful behaviour for her kid with all this frenzied shopping, is she? What does it teach him about money, about the value of possessions, about restraint vs excess?

I try really hard NOT to judge other people's parenting but FFS Jack!

Reactions: 27
Also she put all this on twitter. All these pics. Knowing that so long as she occasionally said also that the Tories are bad and kids should be fed food, she'd have enough defenders that if anyone said "whoa there Jack, last week you said you couldn't afford shower gel, but you've just posted a pic of something you bought that cost hundreds" they'd be deluged with "are you obsessed" and "who cares, she hates Tories, that's what matters" and "stop harassing poor smol jack."

She was admitting it all on twitter all along.

No wonder she didn't care about flaunting lipsticks on the gloss group - and even people there who knew who she was didn't seem to care.

• Heart
The days of charity shops being run entirely by a couple of sweet old dears who’d price designer clothes at pennies has long long gone. Maybe there are a few one off local charity shops that still operate that way, but all the big and medium scale ones skim off the very best stuff for internet auctions and price the good stuff accordingly. Even books are subject to this. I was in one of my local charity shops recently, part of a small chain of shops raising money for a hospice. I picked up a book from a box of unsorted stuff and asked if I could buy it. I was given a firm “no” because apparently all their donated books go to a company who scan the barcodes to make sure no valuable books get sold for a quid.
Which is a very long winded way to say that while it could be second hand, theres bugger all chance the jacket cost her only 50p.
Absolutely. There’s a thread roughly every three weeks on the mummy site bemoaning that chazzers are charging £7 for second hand Primark t-shirts and Shein tops. There’s no way they’d sell any jacket for 99p, let alone a designer one.

Reactions: 48
Agree 100%. The BHF shops are not run by fools. I am prepared to believe it's second-hand, but probably a tenner or something. I don't understand why she pretends things cost pennies. It's the same as her nonsense food costings and performative £20 top up shops. It all plays into the Tory narrative that the poor could manage fine if they would just spend less money and be smarter. She's no better than Lee Anderson, and at least he bothered to actually stand for parliament Cunts, the pair of them

Reactions: 44
Agree 100%. The BHF shops are not run by fools. I am prepared to believe it's second-hand, but probably a tenner or something. I don't understand why she pretends things cost pennies. It's the same as her nonsense food costings and performative £20 top up shops. It all plays into the Tory narrative that the poor could manage fine if they would just spend less money and be smarter. She's no better than Lee Anderson, and at least he bothered to actually stand for parliament Cunts, the pair of them
Jack Monroe and Lee Anderson: opposite cheeks of the same arse

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Absolutely. There’s a thread roughly every three weeks on the mummy site bemoaning that chazzers are charging £7 for second hand Primark t-shirts and Shein tops. There’s no way they’d sell any jacket for 99p, let alone a designer one.
I reckon she got that price tag from one of her own books that the charity shop was desperate to get rid of.

• Haha
  • Heart
Oh my goodness fraus, I have been sucked into reading the last two threads and now I am pondering reading the whole CHAOI from the beginning! I'm guessing she'll be lying low for a while so I'll have time to catch up?

I remember becoming aware of her years ago - like 2012-ish. I read her sad, sad story and thought "bullshitter" but then paid her no mind at all for years. And all THIS has been going on! It's quite amazing all the opportunities she's been given and all the money she's had chucked at her, for her to have literally p*ssed it up a wall.

Also, British Heart Foundation chazzers are usually very switched on to labels/designer goods because they ebay the good stuff. I don't believe her story about the blazer for a second.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Oh my goodness fraus, I have been sucked into reading the last two threads and now I am pondering reading the whole CHAOI from the beginning! I'm guessing she'll be lying low for a while so I'll have time to catch up?

I remember becoming aware of her years ago - like 2012-ish. I read her sad, sad story and thought "bullshitter" but then paid her no mind at all for years. And all THIS has been going on! It's quite amazing all the opportunities she's been given and all the money she's had chucked at her, for her to have literally p*ssed it up a wall.

Also, British Heart Foundation chazzers are usually very switched on to labels/designer goods because they ebay the good stuff. I don't believe her story about the blazer for a second.

Same here.

As a former poster on the old Guardian Unlimited Talk site, we side-eyed all those "Look who we found in X doing Y" types the Guardian would promote as, time and again, they'd turn out to have the right background and connections or why else would a national newspaper give a duck about them?

The thing is though, usually said "Right sorts" would use their leg up to get on with their career and head off in whichever direction they so chose. Only guest seems to retreading and retelling the same old same old all this time. That's bone-idle laziness coupled with zero talent for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
I noticed in this pic View attachment 2671720
View attachment 2671729
View attachment 2671722

View attachment 2671732

Why
So, to be generous, she started out searching for ‘animal doorknobs’ for SB then Amazon look her off course (as is it’s wont), she ran with it (as is her wont) and ended up buying these for herself.
IMG_7773.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: 24
I've reached the
stage in my mither through the way back machine. I think that might be enough mithering for today 🤢

Mmmm, I think that could stand a bit more mithering.

Jack, Jack, Jack, you don't give a tiny, shiny button about what might be going on 'under the surface' where anyone else is concerned, so feck off with that.

Be kind? If someone has to be told to be kind, you'd be wasting your breath telling them.

You most definitely are a tool Jack, but not a 'dogbone wrench'. You are more like one of those nail files, attached to nail clippers. Tiresomely smol and unfit for purpose.

Post can take a looooong time, can't it? Especially if you haven't actually posted it 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27

This. All this. She did a tweet around then (give or take, I can’t remember exactly when, may have been an year or two later wfk) asking something like ‘would you add a food bank donation to your online grocery shop?’ and then sent everyone who responded a really quite rude DM reminding them Direct Debits exist (or sth, I can’t remember the specifics). I replied to it and she got even shittier with me. That is my origin story and how her name became mud in this house, and has remained so for around a decade.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.