Jack Monroe #56 I, Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jack Monroe #57: her own money is saved (and gone?!) so donate now to her Patreon

This Patreon crap is so irritating. You can see where she's heading the whole time I just can't believe it worked.

Reactions: 16
I haven’t caught up here but I’ve just seen jack’s tweets. Despicable. Get a job like everyone else ffs.
So annoyed she thinks she can bum off people when there are people in genuine poverty-the poverty she uses to get money from the gullible. Aaagh.

Reactions: 16
So, I’ve read it. The most self-obsessed thing I’ve ever read, and dangerously boring. Noticed lots of florid language and middle-class-friendly references.

Few points of note: the original blog said she wore grotty Oxfam clothes to the publisher’s posh offices in The Strand, and was overwhelmed and intimidated by pictures of That Man being everywhere. Now she says she had to save up enough money to buy something suitable to wear there, and there is zero mention of That Man.

I have an interest in statement analysis, aka forensic linguistics, and noticed that she was unable to “commit” to her tale of overdosing or planning to overdose on pills. Notice that she heavily implied it, but she wasn't able to outright state it using appropriate first person pronouns. She dances around it but can’t actually say it, because outright lying stresses the brain (even Jack’s!). Instead liars will lie by omission, by implication, by weasel wording, or by excessive language (which functions as a distraction for the reader, and weakens commitment to the statement from the writer.)

Finally I agree with what a previous poster said: even if true, the whole thing would still be utterly irrelevant. What you (chose to) experience 7-8 years ago has no bearing on poverty today. The country has changed. And you’re no longer in poverty. There are many other people this has happened to. She should have mentioned more relevant examples of why it’s not always worth the time to buy fresh food. And god forbid, included anyone else’s experiences.
totally agree. She does a lot by very clever implications rather than stating things outright. This allows her followers to assume the worst / most tragic implication but also gives her plausible deniability against being called out. I think your analysis is correct.
Regarding her followers, I think their relationship to her is actually more akin to that of the unpopular girls in the school to Regina George. They’re half admiring and half scared of her and terrified of being turned on, so they just blow smoke up her arse.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
The thing about the bungalow is that any glimpses that you get of the interior and garden, it looks fine. So many people stuck in a flat throughout lockdown would have loved to have lived there. It's also not very nice if the landlord found out how she refers to their property.
Mate (sorry) I wouldn’t mind living there, her landing is well nicer than ours, her carpet looks lovely & plush too.

Reactions: 15
Fat Jack?
Yup. Part of the lodger's income (if not all of it now) was derived from being morbidly obese (it's a category on Only Fans and other such sites, apparently) - but the behaviour and reactions to things was pretty much the same script that JM uses.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Mate (sorry) I wouldn’t mind living there, her landing is well nicer than ours, her carpet looks lovely & plush too.
The garden looked really nice. Her bedroom has a super king sized bed. The kitchen looks fine. It is so insulting to other people who are living in cramped accommodation up a flight of stairs in an area which is not very desirable. So many families would love to live in that bungalow. JM is a self obsessed spoilt brat.

Reactions: 18
I reckon now’s about the right time for that Rees-Mogg woman to clap back
I have got a feeling that Jack doesn't come under A Rees Mogg's radar. JM is just not important enough - except in her own mind. It would be like swatting a fly away. (and, believe me, I am no fan of the Rees Mogg family).

Reactions: 22
How can she have burned out. Apparently she can sleep when she likes? Hasnt properly worked/ done a cooking show in weeks? Writing A 1000 word essay is hardly work it's not even a small uni assignment.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
When I think of Rees Mogg ( which is tbh, almost never), I always think of John Culshaw's impressions on Dead Ringers. It's on Radio 4. I have it on in every room along with some classical stations*

*I don't. I was being Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 14
When I think of Rees Mogg ( which is tbh, almost never), I always think of John Culshaw's impressions on Dead Ringers. It's on Radio 4. I have it on in every room along with some classical stations*

*I don't. I was being Jack
I love Dead Ringers. Especially Bad Boris and DIIIIIIIIIIANNNNNE ABBBOTTTTTT!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.