Jack Monroe #56 I, Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s the one. Isn’t his schtick that he’s an ex rogue trader gone good or something - so tells you how to spot them?
I suspect he would know more than most about rogue traders. I first saw him in a C4 show called faking it. Where people had to adopt a new persona and learn skills well enough to fool an expert. In his ep, Dom was teaching a vicar how to flog 2nd hand cars

Reactions: 8
Lol, sorry, I don't mean to shame anyone into deleting their posts or anything. I just hate to see her dictating the discussion on her (completely false) terms. She's so bleeping manipulative, it's hard not to get drawn in.
I think it's important to show that people aren't just doing the 'they're different - let's troll' thing that's claimed, but there is an understanding of the processes, motivations and discourses at play. After all, she's wailing that she has noooo moneeyyyy and ALL IS LOST - if you don't know well, actually, that's bullshit, what you have to do is x, y and z, it's more use in demonstrating it's utter bullshit.

Like the potatoes thing. Yeah, it's crap if you're tired to then have to cook properly. But you don't help anyone by getting malnourished from eating tit food, you pay out less money, stick a spud in the microwave and then crisp it up in the oven if you can wait another ten minutes, add some unrinsed baked beans and some cheese and you are physically more able to deal with what comes AND it's a bloody lovely meal that warms you inside and out whilst leaving you at least another five meals worth in the bag for the rest of the week.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
It’s not impossible, it’s hard but plenty of genuine single parents have to do it.
Absolutely.
Those single parents, mostly mums but also some amazing single dads too, are doing it on their own completely.
If I look at my office there are a couple of girls who have kids and they are on their own and doing brilliantly at their careers as well as being awesome as parents.
A couple don't have the solid family background like Jack
Because we are all on the same payscale i can guesstimate how much they earn and it aint anywhere near what Jack earns
For various reasons the fathers aren't in the picture and they don't get the financial and childcare help that Jack does by having the dad around
A couple of them have second jobs (one barmaids on a weekend and swaps childcare with another girl in the pub) another freelances in bookkeeping and ploughs away at spreadsheets when her kids are in bed.
They are all doing amazingly well and slogging away to make their (and their kids) lifes better.
So you can duck off Jack, you really can

(told you she'd got to me tonight!!!)

The shrieking and wailing up the stairs at 4am did it for us with our lodger. Every time somebody didn't worship her/beg her to date them after she'd gone on about how awful her life was (and it was a damn sight worse in her past, even though we repeatedly heard completely different versions in public). Well, that and the trip to Edinburgh Fringe for a week (performer, allegedly) where she came back and thought she didn't have to pay rent because she wasn't here and was 'too skint' to pay for the rest of the month, either.

She does the SM begging. Lots of 'a man verbally abused me on the train because I don't conform', 'I've been made homeless AGAIN, why does this always happen to meeeee?' (erm, because you smell, you don't pay the bleeping rent, you buy multiple electronic devices and clothes and travel abroad, you've run out of places to have tattooed because you like them when you can't afford them, you threaten violence in lieu of 'humour', talk about both men and women in revolting objectified ways, you deliberately had the worst of your tattoos because you didn't want to get a normal, boring job ever, you target vulnerable people, especially men, and come out with the most homophobic tit imaginable for somebody who now makes a living out of being queer/NB and you fetishise violence?).
um was Jack Monroe your lodger?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
I'm catching up with Celebrity Masterchef right now and Dom Littlewood is on my screen cooking far better than I've ever seen Jack cook!

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Absolutely.
Those single parents, mostly mums but also some amazing single dads too, are doing it on their own completely.
If I look at my office there are a couple of girls who have kids and they are on their own and doing brilliantly at their careers as well as being awesome as parents.
A couple don't have the solid family background like Jack
Because we are all on the same payscale i can guesstimate how much they earn and it aint anywhere near what Jack earns
For various reasons the fathers aren't in the picture and they don't get the financial and childcare help that Jack does by having the dad around
A couple of them have second jobs (one barmaids on a weekend and swaps childcare with another girl in the pub) another freelances in bookkeeping and ploughs away at spreadsheets when her kids are in bed.
They are all doing amazingly well and slogging away to make their (and their kids) lifes better.
So you can duck off Jack, you really can

(told you she'd got to me tonight!!!)

um was Jack Monroe your lodger?
In all honesty and the awareness that I am being very bitchy (although in mitigation, part of her income is derived purely on the basis of being morbidly obese) we endured a Fat Jack for 18 months.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Coming in here after being away for 3 days like...

On the night train (FANCY - although not quite the sleeper) with a cabin to myself, a bottle of wine, and several hours to grunka!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
View attachment 198841
This is so frustrating! Have her followers all been Demon Headmastered?! She was overflowing with creative juices and the happiest she’s ever been at least 5 times in the last 14 weeks.
Well, that person describing all those handy symptoms spectacularly let down one of my lovely friends over a gift she commissioned. 90% of our texts mention her and her arseaching annoyances. She will do absolutely anything to get on the telly too, they are enabling each other.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Yes!!!!! My friend has a LTD company and also received £10,000, without having to prove loss of earnings.
I’m curious as to what HMRC might make of this tip jar and Patreon revenue source. Revenue is revenue, right? The only things we can’t avoid in this world are death....and taxes. Hope she’s factored that in to prevent future chaoses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24
She's up to 219 paying Patreon supporters now... :rolleyes:
Boosh. Blink and now it's 222.

View attachment 199007
I honestly despair.

From my longtime lurking (thanks lockdown for stripping every other avenue from my life) it seems that there's a strong cross-over between ex-Jack-fans, or at least Jack-sympathisers, and posters on these ongoing threads. In terms of experience, in terms of empathy. Most of us (hope it's not too forward to include myself in the collective) seem to tick one or other of Jack's "excluded" boxes - poverty, ND, MH, single parenthood, self-employed, trauma/abuse history...

Which is the exact audience she's leaching off for her tips. Over and above her salaried work. Over and above her rainy-day savings. Over and above her accumulated social capital. Over and above her ebayable tchotchkis.

Do one Jack.

(I could very kindly explain what burnout means in the (ND) context in which I've experienced it. But I won't be drawn into providing fuel for this particular cosplay shitshow)

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I've made it. I've finally made it to the end of the thread. You lovely lot, I've missed you.

She is obsessed with her FREE recipes. Like she's undertaking some huge philanthropic deed. Give her an MBE for doing what Google has done for 20 years. Not just that, she has the absolute termerity to guilt trip Patreon into giving her money for the God forsaken FREE recipes.

I'm off to drink wine and calm down.
you say to dink wine and 'calm down'
I've had some wine, it just made me angrier and swearier!!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I think it's important to show that people aren't just doing the 'they're different - let's troll' thing that's claimed, but there is an understanding of the processes, motivations and discourses at play.
I know what you're saying, but I just don't think that using her as a springboard for 'money saving advice' (or indeed, money-MAKING advice)* is particularly helpful, as it fuels the narrative that *she* wants to advance - that she is somehow representative of and/or spokesperson for people in these actual situations.

*see also: mental health advice, coping with trauma advice, ad nauseum

Reactions: 12
Does anybody here have or know someone who has a Patreon account? There seems to be a mechanism from within to report accounts

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I' m currently on page 14 of 29 so don't know what is ahead of me but I KNEW the effing BEGGING BOWL would come out soon. For eff's sake! Get a part time job Jack

Reactions: 17
If you compare it to her DKL set up shots she absolutely overwhelmed it with tat and it looked so much better before.
Definitely! She just makes it sound like it was an empty shell when she moved in! She wants brownie points for sticking a couple of shelves above the sink🤷‍♀️ She's lucky it's a decent size kitchen for a bungalow!

Reactions: 9
Well, that person describing all those handy symptoms spectacularly let down one of my lovely friends over a gift she commissioned. 90% of our texts mention her and her arseaching annoyances. She will do absolutely anything to get on the telly too, they are enabling each other.
I know who you mean.

Didn't take kindly to a comment about removing protected species from the wild as part of her 'work', either.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.