Jack Monroe #540 Meet the new Jack, same as the old Jack.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rockabilly Jack is cringey, but at least the studio photos show her natural face shape and jawline. No ickle-pickle Peter-Pixie-Pan sharpened chins and giant eyes. And they've got her to close her massive gummy gob. I think the bouffant is a wig though.
I dunno. There was a lot of air in that hair back in those daysā€¦
IMG_3628.jpeg
IMG_3771.jpeg

I think they just left the middle aged Home Counties ā€œpoofinessā€ in it and brushed it straight upwards to make her look more ā€œtrendyā€ and less like a 50something Mary Archer.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Rockabilly Jack was the cover of The Observer food magazine in ?late summer/ early autumn 2014.
Recipes included peach & chickpea curry but also battered fried cod roe.
Jack's version of scampi šŸ¤®
I feel like both rockabilly as a trend* and Jack peaked in 2014.

*as opposed to rockabilly as a lifestyle.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Aunty Pat channelling the spirit of Vianne Rocher in her local community theatre production of Chocolat.

1694108281498.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 36
1694103324690.jpeg
I
In the early 1990s Auntie Pat was briefly involved with her local amdram society. After a number of shows where she played passer by number three she was delighted to finally land a named part. This picture is from her starring role as Simple Simon in the 1993 production of Jack and the Beanstalk.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I think itā€™s fair enough to point out when someone is getting all headlines for a) saying something thatā€™s at odds with what the scheme they are backing is saying (a scheme with far more experience of FSM and need than JO will personally have) and b) thus making it more likely the politicians will want to do ā€œtheirā€ idea even if that means the most pressing needs arenā€™t actually met because Mr/Mrs Well Off Celeb got what they wanted.

Heā€™s doing more than Jack but letā€™s be real, thatā€™s a bleeping low bar.
Iā€™ve had a(n admittedly unforensic) search and canā€™t see where heā€™s at odds with the scheme. His website and the Guardian article about him both align with the schemeā€™s goals. Would you have any pointers as to where you read that he diverges please?

Reactions: 9
So... regarding this 5 year Nutrition degree that was once mentioned. What are the odds that guset is actually doing it?
She announced it in her DIVA.pdf confessional in October 2021, and by February 2022 said she'd put it back by a year because of having taken too much on (lol)

Screenshot_20230907-180906_Chrome.jpg

As the 1 year deferral has long expired, I'm sure she's beavering away at her studies as we speak and is therefore too busy for Twatter.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Iā€™ve had a(n admittedly unforensic) search and canā€™t see where heā€™s at odds with the scheme. His website and the Guardian article about him both align with the schemeā€™s goals. Would you have any pointers as to where you read that he diverges please?
Heā€™s saying he thinks they should extend the free primary meals as in London per the Guardian article. All his quotes are specifically about Sadiq Khan as well as previously citing that we are mean compared to Scotland and Wales as they are rolling out free primary meals - ā€œHe highlighted London Mayor Sadiq Khanā€™s plan to make school meals freely available to all primary-aged pupils for 2023/24, a policy the chef suggested should be replicated across England.ā€

ā€œMayor Sadiq is actually doing itā€¦ local people like up in York are doing it, in Wales you get it, in Scotland you get it. England is the meanest.ā€

The scheme is saying they want to extend it first to all families on universal credit - ie not everyone at first because if there is a limited budget the priority should be pupils who actually need them rather than ā€œeveryone in EYFS - Y6ā€ because kids donā€™t suddenly cease to be hungry in Y7 and plenty of primary parents can afford school meals easily and/or are able to provide a balanced packed lunch.

He meets them in terms of the ultimate goal being to roll out to everyone but he doesnā€™t seem to agree with them on the first step and his IMO is missing a huge part of the need. Yes absolutely it should be free food for all school pupils EYFS-Y11 but if thatā€™s not realistic to implement straight away they should start with extending it to the kids who need it across that entire age group rather than a blanket ā€œprimary kidsā€.

ETA: and Sadiq Khan has equally failed to appreciate that of course, so Jamie isnā€™t alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Controversial opinion clearly but I think some of those photos are the nicest I've seen of her; kitschy AF and very professionally done/edited obviously but I think LOVE CAKE is quite funny (reference to the LOVE/HATE classic) and we could always 'shop the A to an O should we get sufficiently bored.

It's just another example of something she could have used to further her career but... didn't bother.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Are those pics pre boogly skeleton and bum crack tattoo?
Yep, Mr Boogly and the bum crack were just a twinkle in the tattoo artisteā€™s eye at this point. These pics were Feb 2014 just as she was getting together with Leggy. Mr Boogles came along when she went to the USA in August 2015 with Big Lin after Leggy got sick of her and sent her scampering back off to Southend*.

Hereā€™s Aunty Pat that time in the 1980s when she tried to jazz up Coffee Morning with the girls by squeezing into her teenage daughter Cherylā€™s ā€˜Pepsi and Shirlie for Top Shopā€™ outfit, doing her hair like Uncle Dennisā€™s brother Les used to wear his when he was big into the Stray Cats and sticking a beach towel on the wall at a rakish angle, .
IMG_3776.jpeg
*oh Iā€™m sorry. Correction: Leggy didnā€™t get sick of her. She GREW UNEASY WITH THE MEDIA LIFESTYLE AND WANTED TO GO BACK TO SOUTHEND.
IMG_3775.jpeg
ETA @Mendacious Trumpet tattoo timeline

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Controversial opinion clearly but I think some of those photos are the nicest I've seen of her; kitschy AF and very professionally done/edited obviously but I think LOVE CAKE is quite funny (reference to the LOVE/HATE classic) and we could always 'shop the A to an O should we get sufficiently bored.

It's just another example of something she could have used to further her career but... didn't bother.
LOVĀ£ HATS

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I think these ^points up^ landgirl / US diner / rockabilly guests were when I came across her (bit gauche). I quite like the look tbh, but itā€™s probably more about the brief than the thief.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
The only thing worse than Rockabilly Jackā€™s styling in that stupid photoshoot is when she later tried to style it herself and ended up looking like your friend from primary schoolā€™s Mam whoā€™s ā€œglammed herself up a bitā€ to hide the fact sheā€™s not handling the divorce too well.
View attachment 2432222View attachment 2432223You know the one? Drinks Galliano and lemonade down the pub and laughs a lot at nothing, loudly, with her head thrown back and her eyes darting around to check everyoneā€™s looking at her and what a GREAT time sheā€™s having.
Respectfully I disagree, dear heart. The worst thing about Rockabilly Jack was the woman who got that photo tattooed on her arm.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
Respectfully I disagree, dear heart. The worst thing about Rockabilly Jack was the woman who got that photo tattooed on her arm.
šŸ˜‚ youā€™re right. In colour no less, ā€œYOā€
IMG_3780.jpeg

ETA I still think rather than admit she got a giant Jack in a meat-shirt tattooed on her arm, that woman either wears long sleeves at all times or pretends itā€™s not Jack at all but a tattoo of Captain Kate Janeway when she went to prison that time.
IMG_3779.jpeg

šŸ˜‚ imagine having Jackā€™s tit tattoos tattooed onto you. What a berk.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.