Jack Monroe #540 Meet the new Jack, same as the old Jack.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is it though. If her cookbooks were creative and helped people on low incomes to make delicious balanced meals then all the compulsive lying, munchie behaviour, engagements and social media embarrassments probably wouldn’t hold the attention for very long.

It’s the slops. The captivatingly woeful slops.
---

I dreamed I was in a charity shop with my mum and found a compilation country LP featuring guest which they were selling for 50p

this was the cover image
View attachment 2431774
I didn’t explain why I had to buy this abomination but mum seemed to understand
In a very crowded field, Rockabilly/land girl Jack is one of my least fave. She just doesn't have that cheesecake sunny style. Dead eyed and tense doesn't work.
---
Just saw this...brace yourself! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 2431840
Can't be any worse than Brooklyn halfwit Beckham trying to cook. I love VB but the way she's pushing her talentless sprogs on the world can duck right off.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
“She would never use anything as disgusting as poo”

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg
IMG_2635.jpeg
IMG_2638.jpeg
IMG_2634.jpeg
IMG_2633.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 39
This is it though. If her cookbooks were creative and helped people on low incomes to make delicious balanced meals then all the compulsive lying, munchie behaviour, engagements and social media embarrassments probably wouldn’t hold the attention for very long.

It’s the slops. The captivatingly woeful slops.
---

I dreamed I was in a charity shop with my mum and found a compilation country LP featuring guest which they were selling for 50p

this was the cover image
View attachment 2431774
I didn’t explain why I had to buy this abomination but mum seemed to understand
Are those rings or tattoos? And why have I never noticed before?

Reactions: 9
Yay! Result, and he is more knowledgeable, competent and better in front the camera by a country mile
Have watched barely 2 minutes of one of his videos (just now), he’s presenting with a mate and in that short time they’re already so much more likeable than guset. I know what they’re making and what’s going in it and what order to do it in. Ol’ Crumbly Shoulders would still be focusing the camera and picking her nose.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I loathe nepotism wherever it manifests and there's certainly plenty going on in TV and cooking circles. I will say, though, that Buddy Oliver has been doing YouTube cooking videos for ages and he's good at it. Clearly, he's had access to his father's production team and that must've included coaching on how to present to camera, as well as filming and editing etc, so his vids are well done.

He's still a kid and the fact that he's obviously keen and has stuck with it so far bodes well for his new foray into TV. At his tender age, he's already demonstrating more determination, genuine interest in the craft, and willingness to learn and improve than Jack Monroe. And Jamie and Jools Oliver seem to be good parents, gently steering their boy towards something he enjoys, while keeping a careful watch on his welfare.

ETA: Also, Jamie has spoken out again recently to call for universal free school meals. He's also shown commitment to that cause over many years, which is admirable. Jack doesn't measure up by half.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
The problem with nepotism is that it's beyond question in many instances that the young person has boundless experience, way more knowledge, direct experience of the subject in question having being 'brought up' within the subject matter and the bizz as it were.

I know of someone who was asked to intake a degree level student who didn't have the correct academic qualifications off the back of they were the child of someone very well known in the same arena. Well at first one wants to say seriously eff off but then on consideration start to realise hmmm this kid has been living this reality all their life since the day they were born they could probably teach the damn course. it's a tricky one.

Reactions: 39
I loathe nepotism wherever it manifests and there's certainly plenty going on in TV and cooking circles. I will say, though, that Buddy Oliver has been doing YouTube cooking videos for ages and he's good at it. Clearly, he's had access to his father's production team and that must've included coaching on how to present to camera, as well as filming and editing etc, so his vids are well done.

He's still a kid and the fact that he's obviously keen and has stuck with it so far bodes well for his new foray into TV. At his tender age, he's already demonstrating more determination, genuine interest in the craft, and willingness to learn and improve than Jack Monroe. And Jamie and Jools Oliver seem to be good parents, gently steering their boy towards something he enjoys, while keeping a careful watch on his welfare.

ETA: Also, Jamie has spoken out again recently to call for universal free school meals. He's also shown commitment to that cause over many years, which is admirable. Jack doesn't measure up by half.
It’s still just primary school meals he’s calling for, right? Not secondary?

It’s admirable buttttt I would suggest raising the income threshold for FSM universally so parents currently just or slightly above it but still very much struggling qualify at both primary and secondary levels would be a better use of the same money than a blanket “at primary then you’re on your own kiddos”. Well actually the best would be not forgetting secondary school kids exist and calling for actual universal school meals but working on the presumption there’s a limited budget he’s acknowledging.

I think it’s really important to target secondary because it’s far easier for kids to slip through the net there. Universal FSM officially or not, if a primary child isn’t eating or has hardly any food it’s going to be noticed and I can’t imagine there are many primaries in the country that wouldn’t feed a child in that situation even if they weren’t eligible for FSM - but that’s not going to be noticed at a secondary level in the same way.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Oh dear, oh dear.

For context I often have strange dreams when I have PMT. But my fellow fraus, this was a nightmare….

It started as one of those chaotic dreams about travelling, I was redecorating the holiday flat, we drove but we had to get a plane home with one bag blah blah. All very dull, but at the back of the flat there was a massive church and I walked around the side to get there. And then I saw her.. she had some kind of stall in the covered entranceway. I was so excited I could tell my fraus that I had seen her in the flesh! She had a crowd around her but she caught my eye and made a beeline for me, before I knew it she had pushed me against the grey stone wall….AND KISSED ME…. I supposed she could have force fed me some of her cooking, could be worse

Think of a frau on this terrible day, my PayPal is available, I need chocolate, paracetamol and memory bleach.

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago about guset.
All of the fraus were picked up by coach (even the foreign land fraus?) and we went to one of her gigs that was being held in a tent.
We all had t-shirts with Tattle phrases on and we all sat in the front two rows, laughing, tutting and rolling our eyes.
Vali and Marm were also on the stage with a laptop and large screen and every time guset started to tell her pov story Vali shouted "fact check" and they showed the contradictory evidence of her porkies. No-one stopped them fact checking and we were very rowdy.
Livia, who looked just like her cartoon avatar shouted "bollocks" quite a few times.
Guset tried to argue with them but gave up and walked off leaving the rest of the audience open mouthed.
Then Josh Homme came onto the stage and sang some songs (I know this bit is random and WTF but I'm a big QOTSA fan).
I know it doesn't make much sense and these days I can barely remember my dreams, but this one was ace.
I hadn't eaten any cheese or had too much to drink the night before......honest.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
So... regarding this 5 year Nutrition degree that was once mentioned. What are the odds that guset is actually doing it?
She had to quit first term, due to bad metals or some such. Possibly because she wrote a mental nonsense essay about Potemkin villages and crop rotation in the 14th century that was little to do with the subject of….nutrition

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
I would suggest raising the income threshold for FSM universally so parents currently just or slightly above it but still very much struggling qualify
I thought this when the free school meals for key stage one came in. My daughter was at primary at the time in a school that was situated in a fairly wealthy catchment area. I remember some other parents being delighted they didn’t have to pay for school lunches anymore. These were people who lived in five bedroom detached houses with two new cars on their driveways and were already looking at private schools for secondary in case their children didn’t pass the eleven plus. While we are by no means poor we’re also several income brackets below these parents and I felt slightly guilty getting the free meals because we could comfortably afford to pay our way.

Reactions: 26
Are those rings or tattoos? And why have I never noticed before?
Looks like fake tattoos that look like they spell fake!
---
Tats. Instead of a hells angel biker with LOVE HATE, hers appears to say FAKE 😂
Hadn’t read through yet sorry
---
All of the fraus were picked up by coach (even the foreign land fraus?) and we went to one of her gigs that was being held in a tent.
We all had t-shirts with Tattle phrases on and we all sat in the front two rows, laughing, tutting and rolling our eyes.
Vali and Marm were also on the stage with a laptop and large screen and every time guset started to tell her pov story Vali shouted "fact check" and they showed the contradictory evidence of her porkies. No-one stopped them fact checking and we were very rowdy.
Livia, who looked just like her cartoon avatar shouted "bollocks" quite a few times.
Guset tried to argue with them but gave up and walked off leaving the rest of the audience open mouthed.
Then Josh Homme came onto the stage and sang some songs (I know this bit is random and WTF but I'm a big QOTSA fan).
I know it doesn't make much sense and these days I can barely remember my dreams, but this one was ace.
I hadn't eaten any cheese or had too much to drink the night before......honest.
this is amazing. There’s something in the air I think as I’ve had some very weird dreams lately also. Not guest related but involving France, horrible people and food.
---
this is amazing. There’s something in the air I think as I’ve had some very weird dreams lately also. Not guest related but involving France, horrible people and food.
I thought this when the free school meals for key stage one came in. My daughter was at primary at the time in a school that was situated in a fairly wealthy catchment area. I remember some other parents being delighted they didn’t have to pay for school lunches anymore. These were people who lived in five bedroom detached houses with two new cars on their driveways and were already looking at private schools for secondary in case their children didn’t pass the eleven plus. While we are by no means poor we’re also several income brackets below these parents and I felt slightly guilty getting the free meals because we could comfortably afford to pay our way.
You could ask if you could put money in a pot at school for kids with parents who can’t pay and don’t get free meals?
Our council has just extended free meals to people who get housing benefit. I don’t know how long it will last for but it will be helpful for a lot of people I imagine. If you’re still on tax credit and get working tax credit too you can’t get free meals.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I would totally get on a coach for this even though they give me anxiety

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
She had to quit first term, due to bad metals or some such. Possibly because she wrote a mental nonsense essay about Potemkin villages and crop rotation in the 14th century that was little to do with the subject of….nutrition
Bib “….was considerably more widespread after John” IYKYK 😉

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

It’s admirable buttttt I would suggest raising the income threshold for FSM universally so parents currently just or slightly above it but still very much struggling qualify at both primary and secondary levels would be a better use of the same money than a blanket “at primary then you’re on your own kiddos”. Well actually the best would be not forgetting secondary school kids exist and calling for actual universal school meals but working on the presumption there’s a limited budget he’s acknowledging.

I think it’s really important to target secondary because it’s far easier for kids to slip through the net there. Universal FSM officially or not, if a primary child isn’t eating or has hardly any food it’s going to be noticed and I can’t imagine there are many primaries in the country that wouldn’t feed a child in that situation even if they weren’t eligible for FSM - but that’s not going to be noticed at a secondary level in the same way.
You can read more about it for yourself.

The key passage is this:
" Oliver is one of the backers of the Feed the Future campaign, which is calling for a cross-party commitment to expand eligibility for free school meals to all children in England."

Reactions: 15
In a very crowded field, Rockabilly/land girl Jack is one of my least fave. She just doesn't have that cheesecake sunny style. Dead eyed and tense doesn't work.
The only thing worse than Rockabilly Jack’s styling in that stupid photoshoot is when she later tried to style it herself and ended up looking like your friend from primary school’s Mam who’s “glammed herself up a bit” to hide the fact she’s not handling the divorce too well.
IMG_3764.jpeg
IMG_3766.jpeg
You know the one? Drinks Galliano and lemonade down the pub and laughs a lot at nothing, loudly, with her head thrown back and her eyes darting around to check everyone’s looking at her and what a GREAT time she’s having.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 57

Imagine if guset got forensic about free school meals. No, neither can I. The interconnectedness of seeing feeding kids at school as an investment, not an expense, and the potential for sourcing food locally and supporting low carbon agriculture* is bloody fascinating. It’s exciting. But no: that doesn’t put a breitling on a wrist.

*Anyone listen to the ep of Food Programme** about the global food system and what it said about Brazil? Free food for all school kids, a budget of $1.1b, 30% of which has to be spent on food sourced from family farms, and linking food budgets in built up areas such as São Paulo to support low carbon agriculture (BBC Sounds, 13/08/2023, schools from 7 mins, although the whole programme is interesting).

**Yeah, I know they’ve been well up guset’s arse in the past, and I prefer The Food Chain on the World Service, but it’s a good ep.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.