Jack Monroe #540 Meet the new Jack, same as the old Jack.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The problem with nepotism is that it's beyond question in many instances that the young person has boundless experience, way more knowledge, direct experience of the subject in question having being 'brought up' within the subject matter and the bizz as it were.

I know of someone who was asked to intake a degree level student who didn't have the correct academic qualifications off the back of they were the child of someone very well known in the same arena. Well at first one wants to say seriously eff off but then on consideration start to realise hmmm this kid has been living this reality all their life since the day they were born they could probably teach the damn course. it's a tricky one.
Nepotism is probably the one of the most odious things about middle and upper classes in my opinion. It’s literally how the circle of privilege becomes sealed and self-perpetuating. But it’s seen as totally acceptable. Somehow less offensive to me in the arts than law/medicine/ exclusive and sought-after university courses. I have a relative 🍉 who is a senior consultant dr. His daughter didn’t get into medicine… she did have the academic qualifications but didn’t pass the interview and wasn’t selected, given constructive/negative feedback. He phoned up the medical school and insisted they let her in. Which worked. Networking and cultural capital and the social/nepotistic benefits of having well-connected professional parents, never mind the financial benefits, mean that getting disadvantaged kids into uni doesn’t really work in terms of reducing social inequality.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
He’s doing more than Jack but let’s be real, that’s a bleeping low bar.
I think we need to set aside any notion of Jack doing credible or meaningful campaigning. She hasn’t done so for a long time and is no longer the go-to for many years. When she was giving out advice to those in poverty recently, it was to put shampoo in the washing machine and to shoplift from Superdrug. It’s safe to say she lost her clout long, long ago. As such the only people booking her are middle class religious festivals where their attendees have no understanding of poverty.

anything half decent wouldn’t go near her. To that end, I don’t see the point in saying ‘she should be doing this or that’ type of thing. She was given a chance and couldn’t/didn’t do it.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
I think we need to set aside any notion of Jack doing credible or meaningful campaigning. She hasn’t done so for a long time and is no longer the go-to for many years. When she was giving out advice to those in poverty recently, it was to put shampoo in the washing machine and to shoplift from Superdrug. It’s safe to say she lost her clout long, long ago. As such the only people booking her are middle class religious festivals where their attendees have no understanding of poverty.

anything half decent wouldn’t go near her. To that end, I don’t see the point in saying ‘she should be doing this or that’ type of thing. She was given a chance and couldn’t/didn’t do it.
I totally agree. She missed her chance and now she’s blown everything so anyone trusting her is bonkers.

But by the same token, to me that doesn’t exempt people like JO from critique when they do do something. Celebs often wade into things in a very well-meaning way and end up having leglislation/policies changed that unfortunately don’t actually address the real issues because it’s a knee-jerk reaction from our crappy government to someone dragging it into the headlines. So yes, they’re doing something and that is good but it’s not always quite as simple as “Celeb doing something = must be amazing, good, nothing to question here”.

Reactions: 20
😂 imagine having Jack’s tit tattoos tattooed onto you. What a berk.
See how Superfan's tattoo artist has tarted up Jack's tattoos when he tattooed mini-Jack's tattoos onto Superfan.
Man, I hate revisionism. In all its forms.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
😂 you’re right. In colour no less, “YO
View attachment 2432760
ETA I still think rather than admit she got a giant Jack in a meat-shirt tattooed on her arm, that woman either wears long sleeves at all times or pretends it’s not Jack at all but a tattoo of Captain Kate Janeway when she went to prison that time.
View attachment 2432763
I’m actually surprised Jack hasn’t had her own face tattooed on her… it seems the type of thing she’d do 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 33
LOV£ HATS
Oh, Harold 😢
---
Controversial opinion clearly but I think some of those photos are the nicest I've seen of her; kitschy AF and very professionally done/edited obviously but I think LOVE CAKE is quite funny (reference to the LOVE/HATE classic) and we could always 'shop the A to an O should we get sufficiently bored.
There are a lot of worse Jacks than Collectif Jack

• Haha
He’s saying he thinks they should extend the free primary meals as in London per the Guardian article. All his quotes are specifically about Sadiq Khan as well as previously citing that we are mean compared to Scotland and Wales as they are rolling out free primary meals - “He highlighted London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s plan to make school meals freely available to all primary-aged pupils for 2023/24, a policy the chef suggested should be replicated across England.”

“Mayor Sadiq is actually doing it… local people like up in York are doing it, in Wales you get it, in Scotland you get it. England is the meanest.”

The scheme is saying they want to extend it first to all families on universal credit - ie not everyone at first because if there is a limited budget the priority should be pupils who actually need them rather than “everyone in EYFS - Y6” because kids don’t suddenly cease to be hungry in Y7 and plenty of primary parents can afford school meals easily and/or are able to provide a balanced packed lunch.

He meets them in terms of the ultimate goal being to roll out to everyone but he doesn’t seem to agree with them on the first step and his IMO is missing a huge part of the need. Yes absolutely it should be free food for all school pupils EYFS-Y11 but if that’s not realistic to implement straight away they should start with extending it to the kids who need it across that entire age group rather than a blanket “primary kids”.

ETA: and Sadiq Khan has equally failed to appreciate that of course, so Jamie isn’t alone.
Oh, in the stuff I read, the BIB is exactly what he’s advocating. Thanks though.

Reactions: 8
Honk went a bit nut blaming older posters of moderating , being oppressed and then having the report button blocked just for them . Troll account imho.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
Honk went a bit nut blaming older posters of moderating , being oppressed and then having the report button blocked just for them . Troll account imho.
Y’know, got that vibe. Knew too much, too soon. Dived in two-footed with in-jokes.

Reactions: 35
View attachment 2432760
ETA I still think rather than admit she got a giant Jack in a meat-shirt tattooed on her arm, that woman either wears long sleeves at all times or pretends it’s not Jack at all but a tattoo of Captain Kate Janeway when she went to prison that time.
View attachment 2432763
I always wonder what became of her. I’m almost a year into laser tattoo removal and have another expensive year of it ahead of me, at least. That’s 3 small 90s ones and two larger ones. Appr £200 a month.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
Oh, in the stuff I read, the BIB is exactly what he’s advocating. Thanks though.
In everything I’ve read JO is talking about extending the London scheme to all of England and praising Khan - and then some of them go on to say that the cross party review scheme backs extending starting with UC recipients but that doesn’t seem to be what JO said that’s them citing other research 🤷‍♀️ but obviously he’s a saint who does no wrong cos he does more than Jack from his ivory tower while bleeping people over with his bust restaurant chain while making to sure to save a couple of mil for himself.

Reactions: 13
View attachment 2432760
View attachment 2432763
I always want this person with the Jack tattoo to have since seen the light, and come on here, first post saying - “Well guys, have I got an origin story for you….”

• Haha
Reactions: 57
I think these ^points up^ landgirl / US diner / rockabilly guests were when I came across her (bit gauche). I quite like the look tbh, but it’s probably more about the brief than the thief.
I love the look but as ever she makes it a panto costume. She has no idea who she is stylistically- which is totally fine, it's irrelevant rather than life enhancing for many- so don't try a million and one different characters on then. Women who aren't interested in clothes are often inadvertently and accidentally the coolest of them all with a utilitarian unconsidered look. Not me though. When I tried that for that Joy Division look i didn't look like I was too busy with existentialist questions to be worrying over my wardrobe, i looked like I was knocking round to sell you reasonably priced double glazing.
---
Nepotism is probably the one of the most odious things about middle and upper classes in my opinion. It’s literally how the circle of privilege becomes sealed and self-perpetuating. But it’s seen as totally acceptable. Somehow less offensive to me in the arts than law/medicine/ exclusive and sought-after university courses. I have a relative 🍉 who is a senior consultant dr. His daughter didn’t get into medicine… she did have the academic qualifications but didn’t pass the interview and wasn’t selected, given constructive/negative feedback. He phoned up the medical school and insisted they let her in. Which worked. Networking and cultural capital and the social/nepotistic benefits of having well-connected professional parents, never mind the financial benefits, mean that getting disadvantaged kids into uni doesn’t really work in terms of reducing social inequality.
I regularly wish the canal ran the country.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
How would you poo after a few days on this diet?
This sounds fantastic but it would have to be white wine as Mr FF has banned me from red wine drinking as apparently I become a complete tosser. I believe him and hence have not had red wine since that conversation some years ago. Can I just have the white wine and a bigger steak, no eggs? Asking for myself x love to all the fraus ❤

• Heart
I agree that Buddy That Man does an excellent job on his cookery videos, but again who's to say how much of that is from seeing his dad do the same thing for years, and probably having access to the production staff and resources his dad has. It's hard to say where nepotism starts and talent begins. Guest has neither, though.

Reactions: 29
I agree that Buddy That Man does an excellent job on his cookery videos, but again who's to say how much of that is from seeing his dad do the same thing for years, and probably having access to the production staff and resources his dad has. It's hard to say where nepotism starts and talent begins. Guest has neither, though.
Her dad got her into the fire service though, so she has ticked the nepotism box

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.