Jack Monroe #509 The Silence of the Scams.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If I recall correctly, Gardener Jack was sowing tomato seeds in July last year like a ninny. She brings the same maverick savant energy to gardening as she does to cooking with similar success. 🤪
Yep tomatoes should be sown feb-April, July is well late, much like mackie herself

Reactions: 24
Hopefully when the VBI is eventually unveiled she will have a section that details how bleeping expensive Marmite is in the EU since Brexit. But I won't hold my breath
Bovril is so expensive now, and as it is my Old Harold's favourite on a crumpet or cheese on toast, I feel compelled to buy it for him out of love. If it goes over a fiver he can duck off and buy it himself mind you

• Haha
Reactions: 36
As far as I can tell the Hopkins trial wasn't a "landmark" trial, except in guest's mind because she won and got a lot of media attention. The gist of it IIRC was that Hopkins mistook someone else for guest, insulted guest for what the other person had done, and then when the error was pointed out, refused to retract or apologize.

I've never seen anything that claims the case established any new precedents in the interpretation or application of libel law. If any legal-minded fraus can add more details, please do.

(guest is also conveniently ignoring that the trial judge had some rather damning things to say about guest's own conduct, even though she won the case.)

Reactions: 27
Coming from a few pages back. So it was estimated she raised £70k for the kickstarter? I gathered this from a previous poster, apologies if incorrect. I’ve only been here for a year / 32 chaos’s.

Given the apparent poor quality and the fact that many people didn’t receive them, was it assumed that she just kept the money?

Reactions: 24
Coming from a few pages back. So it was estimated she raised £70k for the kickstarter? I gathered this from a previous poster, apologies if incorrect. I’ve only been here for a year / 32 chaos’s.

Given the apparent poor quality and the fact that many people didn’t receive them, was it assumed that she just kept the money?
£68,761

The whole thing is still online here: www.kickstarter.com/projects/780456006/cooking-on-a-bootstrap-by-jack-monroe/description

- people were still making "I never received my book" comments as recently as a year ago.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
Given the depth of knowledge in this canal, I assume we have publishing Fraus who could estimate how much she spent and how much was pocketed?

ETA if she only needed £8,000, what happened to the rest?!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Reasons
Love this bit: (it’s so Jack 😜😜)

The rules here merely exist to 1 keep the site online and 2 keep it running smoothly. It's a thankless task but we do try our best although it's incredibly frustrating and exhausting at times.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 37
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
Crowdfunding is much harder than it looks and normally takes a lot of work. The fact she raised 860% of target and then treated the backers this badly is maddening. Entitled brat.

Reactions: 42
Dear ❤ I am not going to have this conversation on this thread and have already apologised for my comment. But wine had been taken and I was frustrated that there are 4 girls pictured in that article and only the one 2 feet taller than the others with an Adam's apple gets named. Apologies again for any offence given or taken xx

• Heart
Reactions: 38
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
Sorry if this is old news - no time to grunk! But I'm watching question time live on iplayer and they've just said Jack Monroe is on next week's show in Leicester

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 79
Bovril is so expensive now, and as it is my Old Harold's favourite on a crumpet or cheese on toast, I feel compelled to buy it for him out of love. If it goes over a fiver he can duck off and buy it himself mind you
Here was I, ready to press the 'heart reaction'. Nope, it's FF, of course there's a twist at the end. 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Given the depth of knowledge in this canal, I assume we have publishing Fraus who could estimate how much she spent and how much was pocketed?

ETA if she only needed £8,000, what happened to the rest?!
Printing costs would be £9,326 using Amazon's print on demand service with 2023 prices.
Maybe another £3-4k for postage & packing?

As for what happened to the remaining £56k...

Screenshot from 2023-05-25 20-37-31.png

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.