Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

streby

Chatty Member
I would genuinely assume it was a Mormon, Amish or Hasidic book designed to help housewives with large families. The manic grin also gives off a creepy evangelical vibe which would be off putting even if I was curious.
"120 God-Honouring Recipes For The Truly Devout"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 83

Lucky Escape

VIP Member
Waaaiiittt.... Is she bread-crumbing that she's NOT BUYING but instead RENTING?

View attachment 1876958
Jack Monroe
@BootstrapCook

(I’m hoping to put one at my new place if the landlord permits it - there are some strict covenants in the contract about the gardens and I think thefront one counts as a communal area. But I’ll ask in case they’re amenable to it )
You don't get covenants in the contract if you're renting, you do if you're buying a leasehold property. It's hard to parse her words as meaning anything other than that she's buying.

Almost all flats are leasehold - you own everything within the walls of your flat, but the freeholder owns the fabric of the building itself. You'll need the freeholder's permission to do stuff like replace the windows or make structural modifications. As leaseholder, you'll pay ground rent and service charges to the freeholder - the service charges will be used for upkeep of communal areas, and any repairs needed to the fabric of the building.

A restrictive covenant is a list of things that the freeholder says you must not do - eg. not keeping pets (common in new builds), not having bare wood floors in upper storeys, not leaving rubbish in the communal areas, not causing a nuisance to other leaseholders, etc.

In Jack's case, she's likely buying a share of the freehold, so will be both the leaseholder of her own flat and a part owner of the building along with the leaseholders of the other flats.

ETA: When Jack talks about the new 'landlord', she's almost certainly talking about the freeholder - the freeholder is sometimes referred to as the landlord, so technically she isn't lying (but is being deliberately confusing). You can see an example of this usage at https://www.gov.uk/leasehold-property

Last edited:
  • Heart

hiyaaaacath

Chatty Member
I’ve just spent 100 hours today painstakingly and relentlessly compiling this dossier on “how many times Jack monroe tells the twitter that she sleeps on the couch”

Now then, where’s my honorary degrees x 2?

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart

Elsie Ben Felyn

Chatty Member
After being cooped up (because heckin big downsize) in a one bedroom flat with his mother, the almost teen boy is being taken for a blissful and much needed escape. To a tent. With his mother.

• Haha
  • Sad

Nurseali

VIP Member
It's that kind of sneaky religion thing that puts me off, like you'll just be reading a cookbook then BAM they'll start sneaking bits of religion in and before you know it you're signed up to a church that isn't even a nice real church but in someones house or a weird hut.

Sorry, I was taken to a puppet show by Christians as a child and the whole thing turned out to be a trick- I'm still really bitter about the whole thing.
I was on a rollercoaster in Las Vegas at the top of a bloody hotel and the man sat next to me tried to convert me. Absolutely ruined my shitting my pants moment.

I have not allowed Jesus into my heart since that day.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 82

Elsie Ben Felyn

Chatty Member
268315BC-0D41-428C-A04C-E532CE5AA298.jpeg

Yeah but most of us don’t do it on Twitter to our generous pinch of followers whilst signposting to our paypals, pal.

• Angry
  • Sad

DianeAbbotsMojito

Chatty Member
Every ailment/disability/gender identity is carefully chosen and weaponised because she knows they make her untouchable. The wet lettuces on Twitter couldn't possibly be seen to be questioning an autistic woman. Ask for your money back? You're a transphobe.

I have ADHD myself and I would be fucking offended if I wasn't questioned regarding my professionalism because of this and I'd consider it ableist. Treat me like everyone else, I get easily distracted it doesn't mean I can't be held to account. 😡

Last edited:
  • Heart

The carlin

I don't think we're even close to understanding how much this has bombed yet.

Remember her early mock ups? I think it was meant to be so much more. A household manual in the line of the Dorling Kindersley DIY handbooks etc. to be referenced in every kitchen for good budget meals and moneysaving tips and tricks.
Hence the big bold hardback. The bold expectation of it buying her forever home?

But Jackass, being her, was too lazy to actually put the work in. Yet more of her grandiosity without the effort. Remember the over promise but under deliver comments and the last last last minute edits?

The poor editing tells me they'd had enough of pushing her and just wanted it out and the crap marketing tweets and puff pieces in news and magazines makes me think they're desperate to push a few copies because the publisher has lost a lot of money when it could have been so much better, especially in this climate.

• Heart
  • Haha

Lucy Aeroplane

VIP Member
No possibility of scampering to Asda then? Or is the bad will not that strong?
How do Big Dave and Mammy E cope? Are there whispered conversations in the newsagents? Or pitying glances?
She’ll be brazening it out as much as possible, but it’s got to be hurting her knowing the bill of the grift is up and she’s a laughing stock now.

re David and Evelyn, I deliberately don’t enquire, I feel sorry for them and think that Jack has already exposed them and her siblings to enough embarrassment. It wouldn’t be hard for me to find out info about them, but I just feel like it would not be a cool thing to do. I’m not a creepy stalker or troll and have no intention of giving her ammo.

I also managed not to talk to anyone except family about her over Christmas when we went back, although that would definitely have been different if Grifty Kitchen and the Guardian interview had been published beforehand!

I’m taking a certain level of delight in knowing she’s shot her final load, at least in our hometown. The Echo didn’t even bother to run a piece on the GK release, the last story they did on GK was in November and the reader comments accusing her of grifting and lying are all still up on the website. Makes you think.

Completely fascinated by the Henry Dimbleby angle though, and know someone who’s done lots of work adjacent to one of his bezzies (a real live Tory) so might see if she’s planning to try and stage a miraculous comeback through that route. (But again I have the problem of: how the fuck do you bring up Jack Monroe in normal conversation without people thinking you’ve had a short circuit?) Would be incredible if it turned out her protection from exposure was Leggy and Henry all along, and she really is a Tory plant 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 81

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
That poor kid, expecting to see the Northern Lights on their weekend away to fecking Dundee or whatever.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 81

Lucky Escape

VIP Member
Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 20.41.56.png

She's just deleted this. No idea why.

ETA: Ah, probably because she didn't include the bit about the cream being replaced with whiskey in her screenshot. She's fucking useless.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 80