Jack Monroe #460 Foghorn Beghorn

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Isn't that crazy? I had never heard of Bored or the Batch Lady yet they have both nailed it.
It must show Jack's book doesn't have any 'kerb appeal' either ie even unawares casual browsers reject it.
If I wanted a big hardback cookbook I really would want something a bit escapist and inspirational tbh - not a quite sad reminder that life is grim.
Jack's natural audience is a mix of Poors and Middle-Class Liberals. The latter will nod approvingly at it and maybe comment to a friend about how Jack does so much good for so many but not actually buy a book full of recipes for whatever it is that the Poors eat, and the Poors either can't afford the book or mutter darkly about how dare someone assume they're not already thrifty, especially someone who spends all their money on sideboards and drugs.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I think BoL had so many preorders they didn't send any to Amazon in the end - my preorder was cancelled and I had to get it elsewhere. Honestly the difference between modern successful cooks (those who make it by proving their worth on Insta and TikTok) and Jack is astounding. They understand texture, variety, and what regular people eat. And I bet their recipes are largely cheaper!

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Same, not even trying to be funny with this but the wig and cloth hair piece and manic grin give big Christian splinter cell vibes so I’d assume it had some sort of religious affiliation so wouldn’t pick it up to even check it out? Small mercies for the unsuspecting supermarket shopper tbh.
I would genuinely assume it was a Mormon, Amish or Hasidic book designed to help housewives with large families. The manic grin also gives off a creepy evangelical vibe which would be off putting even if I was curious.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
I would genuinely assume it was a Mormon, Amish or Hasidic book designed to help housewives with large families. The manic grin also gives off a creepy evangelical vibe which would be off putting even if I was curious.
"120 God-Honouring Recipes For The Truly Devout"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 83
I'm not sure she is getting the lovely chaise longue place, no front garden...though she could be lying. She must read here, how will she be able to resist posting a pic knowing she'll be watermeloned in seconds??

Also I was thinking on running a bet on how long it will be before these threads are written entirely in in joke and auto🥕 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Had a look in Waterstones today 🍉 (the big one on Deansgate for Manchester fraus). Not one single copy of Grifty Kitchen in the
entire place, despite it having a huge cookery section.

View attachment 1876982

Curious, I nipped over to the smaller Waterstones in the Arndale (I promise I had actual shopping to do as well). They had a few half price copies in the promotional stand thing at the front of the store with Pinch of Vom and That Man. Absolutely none in the cookery section itself though, which seems slightly odd.View attachment 1877001
They must’ve sold out and be awaiting stock!

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Thread title by @Emmapism nominated by many Fraus because LOL.

Please see the pink button wiki if you are new here, and please nominate new thread titles after post 500, no swearsies.

Brief catch up on the last thread (some events may have occurred previously but do you want me to STOP BREATHING?)

Jack was lying about: the 2p coin bath, the free books she owns and definitely didn't buy, using a swiss army STYLE knife that had everything BUT the can opener and definitely wouldn't have folded and sliced her thieving little fingers off if she walloped it with a hammer.

Ad infinitum.

The new flat apparently has a communal front garden where she wants to put all her spenny free books.

Please add stuff I have definitely forgotten because bloody hell it never ends.

Last thread here: https://tattle.life/threads/jack-mo...haunt-her-forever.36588/page-30#post-13488512
OH FLIRTY! I'm so glad that your Jack still has her pretty feather in her lovely hair 😊🥰🥰🥰

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Had to leave the thread because #reasons she was pissing me off too much.

I don’t think I can catch up so apologies.

I went into Waterstones and Smiths again. No sign of batch lady (who I am softly, gently falling in love with btw) or BoL. I asked in Waterstones and they have sold out. Students here are obviously in the know (not so keen on Harry- tons of his books still around). Anyway, GK has been relegated up to cooking. One copy. I hid it. Behind a St John cookery book.

I have 🍉 info about covenants on our and my parents’ properties but it’s boring and it’s more fun to talk about how bookshops are trying to hide her book.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Yes!!! Like you’ve articulated it perfectly thank you, I’m not being rude about Christians or any other faith group as I had a religious upbringing/school education that I’m v grateful for but there is just something so othering about the cover? Like this isn’t how a run of the mill 30 something presents it’s actually quite creepy.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Same, not even trying to be funny with this but the wig and cloth hair piece and manic grin give big Christian splinter cell vibes so I’d assume it had some sort of religious affiliation so wouldn’t pick it up to even check it out? Small mercies for the unsuspecting supermarket shopper tbh.
It's that kind of sneaky religion thing that puts me off, like you'll just be reading a cookbook then BAM they'll start sneaking bits of religion in and before you know it you're signed up to a church that isn't even a nice real church but in someones house or a weird hut.

Sorry, I was taken to a puppet show by Christians as a child and the whole thing turned out to be a trick- I'm still really bitter about the whole thing.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 86
Controversial opinion: I hate Mob. Bunch of southern private school wankers shoving nduja and burrata into every recipe. I once made a curry recipe from their Instagram and it tasted like tomato soup so maybe I'm just salty idk x

On topic: would still cook their recipes over Jack's lol.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
It's that kind of sneaky religion thing that puts me off, like you'll just be reading a cookbook then BAM they'll start sneaking bits of religion in and before you know it you're signed up to a church that isn't even a nice real church but in someones house or a weird hut.
And quickly wake-up in Georgia.

Either in the States or the Caucuses.

Doesn't matter which, all places are interchangeable.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of BoL, am in such a cooking slump at mo, think all the slops have put me off.
Honey & Garlic Chicken Noodles and Chicken, Chorizo & Sundried tom creamy pasta are both really good. I've got everything in to do the Beef Stifado and Orzo at the weekend. I love to cook but I'm also very lazy so anything that tastes good after being bunged softly, gently cooked in the slow cooker is a winner.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Can you ninnies just stopped until I get home from work and have grunked to catch up? I'm drowning!!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Nipped into WH Smith in St Pancras earlier. Lovely big cookbook display, no Jack in evidence
F84714EE-FE52-44D1-8F36-D991661ADCF6.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
You get restrictive covenants with listed buildings too, or other posh things like natural/heritage sites. Not that I think that applies in her case tbh it’s clearly that one lovely flat lol and she’s stupid for disclosing so much detail.
Also houses - eg when they were originally built there will often be covenants such as not putting caravans in the drive etc. the deeds of ours specifies certain roof tiles, walls no higher than x etc. not sure if they ever get enforced though!

Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.