Jack Monroe #440 Gently navigating the hinterland of plagiarism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm grunking still so this may have been mentioned already but surely Jack, complaining about her rent rise, realises (even Jack) that once a landlord has paid the mortgage on their property OR if that property is inherited then they can still do what the f**k they like - right or wrong - with the rent!?!?!
They are invariably landlords to make financial profit as she and her family well know.
So repairs and maintenance are free are they? Landlords have costs, and I imagine they will not be insubstantial once mackie is out. fumigation isn’t cheap

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I'm just stuck on the amount she claims to be paying for electricity.

She also has gas (because radiators can be pulled off walls and replaced by cookers. )

I know predictions were dire but her place must be bleeping huge, or prior debt, or something? My bill is like a LOT less.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
The impression I get from those tweets yesterday about rent, bills and patreon is a kind of, I'm suffering, times are tough, I've fulfilled my subscriptions, now give me more money. The reality is, shes supposed to be a poverty campaigner and instead of highlighting real poverty, she's highlighting her own hardships which are let's face it, not that hard if she can afford 1500 rent etc. Why do people keep going on about this 'Good work' that she does? There s been no evidence of that for some time.

• Heart
Reactions: 70
There once was a cook named Jack Monroe
Whose Christmas tales were full of woe
Their turkey was dry
Their pudding a lie
But they persevered, don't you know

• Haha
Reactions: 28
The cost of renting in Southend seems insane! Is that... Normal rental costing? Edinburgh seems ridiculously cheap in comparison, unless of course you want to stay in an apartment in Queen Street in the centre of town.
I'm from the area 🔺️ and yes, it's normal. Southend is a local authority borough covering a huge area including Thorpe Bay, Shoeburyness, Westcliff, Leigh on sea, Chalkwell, as well as the big town of Southend. There are properties worth millions in some areas and cheaper properties in more run down areas, as in any Borough. Without researching I'd imagine £1650 is about average rent.

ETA in 2003 I was paying £500 a month for a 1 bed flat in a desirable area, and that was from a friend who owned it so it wasn't the full market rate!

Last edited:
Reactions: 31
I remain intrigued as to what type of property Jack will move to. Even when LJC was still on the scene they really didn't need such a massive property and it's not as if it had this massive, amazing kitchen for 'work', but you know, middle class init. I still can't quite accept there will be any actual downsizing, because narcs don't settle for second best, unless of course it's part of some 'LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME!' performance.

Reactions: 36
Coming out of my Jack hibernation to LOL about her complaining that her landlady inherrited the property she lives in. She would love to inherrit wealth!

Also, how bleeping tone deaf to be a poverty campaigner with a comfortable income and complain about her high rent in this cost of living crisis (but I am sure that has already been said numerous times).

Jack Monroe, what a dick.

• Haha
Reactions: 60
Oh I’m livid about the tweet regarding a rent increase!
If she actually provided the details of the property she rented, I’m sure it would seem quite reasonable. It’s obvious she would need a large house because of the recently departed 14 seater dining table!!
I mean, I don’t want to lecture anyone on how to spend their (other peoples) money, but when Jack said that the table of Putin proportions was bought with a book advance, why oh bleeping why didn’t she actually start saving for a house or flat?!! All the wittering and wow about moving house a trillion times and wanting a forever house with her child, wouldn’t that be the priority?
My dad worked three jobs while my mum was pregnant with my brother so they could scrape enough together to buy their little cottage. He didn’t rest until they had the money they needed. Jack has written 7 books, umpteen articles.. can she really honestly have spent all that money on flashy tat and furniture? And that’s without the grifting income!
Its like I’ve woken up and seen all this, anew!
What an absolute joke. How can people still line her pockets? it’s like the Lotto Lout who spunked all his winnings on gold sovereign rings and quad bikes, then was in the dole queue a few years later. Utterly shameless.
🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 57
The thing with the rent increase is that she doesn't have to like it of course. I would not like an increase. It's just so tone deaf to be complaining about it on Twitter when people are skipping meals and really struggling (also, I was out of the loop for a while but why has this mofo not moved yet, if it's all so dire?)

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Can I nominate this for a thread title? 🦉 🍾

P.s. I have a question about the chasm. Is it also the right size for sideboards, wigs, assorted spices, earrings & overpriced baubles? Does Jack take these items from the magic puddle and hoard them in the chasm? I'm picturing a sort of cave filled with tinsel, nightmeat, sad detritus, marauding pumbles, designer clothes and the occasional stray monkfish.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I'm so happy there's a sloppies this year.

I'd like to say again that if Georgia Church Suppers doesnt win a sloppy I will make another three tin tender and pelt it at all of your homes x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 78
It was aimed as us because it followed a period where tweets were constantly well past midnight and into the morning and we suspected it was snowing in Southend.
It was around the time where she asked Twitter something mad like “if I move a radiator will gas flow out of the wall?” or something along those lines.
This was at about 5am and when people replied with concern, telling her to put her phone down and go to sleep she claimed she was BUSY designing her future dream kitchen renovation with a “friend” which is you know, totally normal and stone cold sober behaviour for 5am on a Tuesday morning.
I have woken the dog sleeping on my bed 🦉🍾at the radiator memory!
Also boggling at how she and her 12 YEAR OLD son have been squashed up pretending to live in a one bed for, what, three months? And she is saying her contract isn’t up til February? That’s just cruelty.

• Sad
Reactions: 38
The market is fucked beyond repair because of speculators and hoarders like her family
That’s the thing, I think it’s fair for anyone to moan about landlords tbh they’re very often scum of the earth, but she’s gotta take into account the fact that she was literally raised off of money generated from rents because her dad / grandad were landlords lmao?

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I'm just stuck on the amount she claims to be paying for electricity.

She also has gas (because radiators can be pulled off walls and replaced by cookers. )

I know predictions were dire but her place must be bleeping huge, or prior debt, or something? My bill is like a LOT less.
I can’t find the bill tweet, how much did she claim she was using please?

The fact she claims she opened a physical bill and was shocked is truly wild. Most of the country have known this since late last year! She’s meant to be at the literal frontline of inequality at this country and she can’t nail the fundamentals? 17p slop can’t fix things anymore hun.

Reactions: 41
I couldn’t be bothered posting this last night but…

1. She claims her energy bill is £566/month. When there was last an “energy moan” (and the gas and electricity rates weren’t significantly different from what they are now) she wasn’t paying anywhere near this. * Was she lying then or lying now?

2. Linked to point 1), back then she told us all to cancel our DD (😂😂😂) and pay what we use each month. If she did actually do that, then that would explain the discrepancy (because that moan was in clement weather and now it is cold) which would lead us on to the fact that it doesn’t explain that…

3. How can she, living alone, without her heating or lights be spending £566/month? **

*we have to assume here she wasn’t on some legacy low fixed rate back then which has skewed the data. Obviously, come April, her wailing will start up again.

** I have no idea why I am so bothered by this.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 59
I couldn’t be bothered posting this last night but…

1. She claims her energy bill is £566/month. When there was last an “energy moan” (and the gas and electricity rates weren’t significantly different from what they are now) she wasn’t paying anywhere near this. * Was she lying then or lying now?

2. Linked to point 1), back then she told us all to cancel our DD (😂😂😂) and pay what we use each month. If she did actually do that, then that would explain the discrepancy (because that moan was in the summer and now it is cold) which would lead us on to…

3. How can she, living alone, without her heating or lights be spending £566/month? **

*we have to assume here she wasn’t on some legacy low fixed rate back then which has skewed the data. Obviously, come April, her wailing will start up again.

** I have no idea why I am so bothered by this.
Babe, same - it's like a weird puzzle that doesn't fit together. If X is true then Y should follow... But she says no it's Z, mate, DO YOU WANT ME TO STOP BREATHING??
Make it make sense!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.