Jack Monroe #440 Gently navigating the hinterland of plagiarism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't see why anyone would pretend their house was smaller than it is, and sleep on the sofa, whilst paying 1500 rent. I'd enjoy it whilst it lasts, make use of the space, sell lots of stuff and only squish into a sardine can when I had to. I don't park at the side of the motorway in the wind and rain to practice for when my car breaks down. If it does, I'll have to just do that on the day. I don't need to practice. I'll just ring the AA.

I'd create a week or so overlap between the two properties. Day 1 I'd take absolute essentials, bed, basic kitchen stuff, desk, sofa, essential clothes etc. Day 2 I'd take more stuff in order of priority. And I'd keep going until the new place ran out of room. Then I'd put the rest into storage or sell it/donate it/recycle it/bin it because it doesn't fit into my home. No oscar needed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 90
I can’t find the bill tweet, how much did she claim she was using please?
Energy bill here-

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 08.33.40.png

Paying £1k a month on CT / energy -

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 08.34.02.png

Seems a lot to me but then again I actually have a 1 bedroom flat and don't live in one of the most desirable areas of the south east of England 🤷‍♀️. I could probably give Jack some budgeting tips but, uh, isn't that meant to be *her* job?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
I'm so happy there's a sloppies this year.

I'd like to say again that if Georgia Church Suppers doesnt win a sloppy I will make another three tin tender and pelt it at all of your homes x
Jenny Numbers may have an issue with that, dear heart!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I couldn’t be bothered posting this last night but…

1. She claims her energy bill is £566/month. When there was last an “energy moan” (and the gas and electricity rates weren’t significantly different from what they are now) she wasn’t paying anywhere near this. * Was she lying then or lying now?

2. Linked to point 1), back then she told us all to cancel our DD (😂😂😂) and pay what we use each month. If she did actually do that, then that would explain the discrepancy (because that moan was in clement weather and now it is cold) which would lead us on to the fact that it doesn’t explain that…

3. How can she, living alone, without her heating or lights be spending £566/month? **

*we have to assume here she wasn’t on some legacy low fixed rate back then which has skewed the data. Obviously, come April, her wailing will start up again.

** I have no idea why I am so bothered by this.
Also didn’t the bill she took a photo of have boiler care as part of it? Which made the forensic canal question whether it was her actual bill/estimate as a tenant she isn’t responsible for the boiler care? Or am I imagining that one?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Energy bill here-

View attachment 1822265

Paying £1k a month on rent / CT / energy -

View attachment 1822267

Seems a lot to me but then again I actually have a 1 bedroom flat and don't live in one of the most desirable areas of the south east of England 🤷‍♀️. I could probably give Jack some budgeting tips but, uh, isn't that meant to be *her* job?
She’d be looking at closer to £4k for a band G here. Thank the HMO exempt properties.

Oh, and try getting all that Cotswold stuff into a £1.6k/month 3 bedder anywhere other than her bungahouse.

I will bet my last Greggs mince pie she isn’t moving.

Reactions: 33
Energy bill here-

View attachment 1822265

View attachment 1822267

You don't have to go far from Leigh/Shoobs to get a property and bills for a lot less than £2500. One of the newer build semis or terraced (I mean in the last 40 years not just the last 10) in the wider A127 adjacent area (ie not even really moving anywhere geographically) would provide much lower c tax and energy bills and a saving on rent.

My old poorly insulated house (not A127 adjacent), if rented not mortgaged (as it would be more) c tax and energy bills (for a number of 🚩 reasons I won't go into, are high) would come in at £1,450. I manage to fit more bodies in this house than hers. my dining table is 6 or 8 not 16. But much like her, there aren't 16 people sat round mine either.

I understand not being able to move far if you have a job in a particular area. But she works from home, or from anywhere she has to travel to, and happily goes to Edinburgh on a train. So aside from having a child and a family, she isn't required to live in an expensive part of SoS. She could live a little further up the A127, nearer her sons dad, and save a lot. Not just in terms of rent, but in terms of bills, council tax, and available working time that's currently spent moaning about a rental price she is in a position to fix. That area of Essex is so variable it would be easy to get something cheaper. It's not like she can't move because she lives opposite her workplace and children's school and there are no buses and no other houses for 2 miles.

I live a commute from work because I can't afford to live near it. Ditto I couldn't afford to live where I grew up as it was too expensive. Is what it is.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Energy bill here-

View attachment 1822265

View attachment 1822267

It wouldn't surprise me if her monthly energy bills for a house of that size were £566 if the heating is being used and lightbulbs screwed back in. Despite what is pumped out for public consumption, Jack doesn't strike me as the type to not to put the heating on, etc. Someone else can just sort out the bills!

Reactions: 31
Ugh, I edited my last post because I said she was paying £1k a month on rent and CT and energy when of course I meant £1k a month on just CT and energy, after rent. Sorry for mild morning chaos.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
No wants a monthly subscription sent in a 2 year bundle. It’s bleeping stupid, you want a small treat every month, a pick me up, not a big pack of postcards.

The whole patreon thing is a fine example of her stupidness and laziness. Obviously the way to go from the start was digital content. I bet most chefs could do it with zero effort, although she’s not a chef or a cook….

• Heart
Reactions: 50
The thing with the rent increase is that she doesn't have to like it of course. I would not like an increase. It's just so tone deaf to be complaining about it on Twitter when people are skipping meals and really struggling (also, I was out of the loop for a while but why has this mofo not moved yet, if it's all so dire?)
Regarding the rent increase. I’ve been a reluctant landlord and maintained my property and never increased the rent. When my tenant moved out I sold it because I’m more secure where I am and have no plans to move back to where I was.

my OH has a very small mortgage - around 75k - the house was cheap, he had a decent deposit and as a result we were able to invest in it over the past few years and given market rates plus the improvements, we’ve increased the value.

OH’s mortgage is up for renewal. He’s decided to chop a year off the term, but even still, the best fixed rate he could get is still £110 more than he was paying.
A £150 rise seems normal/reasonable for Jack’s house.

Last edited:
Reactions: 34
Jack doesn't strike me as the type to not to put the heating on, etc. Someone else can just sort out the bills!
She strikes me as exactly the type who would go round turning off the heating in rooms she wasn't currently in. Why she's blaming the house and the landlady for being in agony due to freezing conditions is beyond me though, we were all in the same boat last week because of the minus degree temperatures which saw ice on the insides of our windows regardless of how long we had the heating on for??

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I will never get over this image, is that what prompted her to get botox?
I love that she thought this was cute. Onsies are cute on babies. On grown arse women they give you camel toe and tits like the tears of a clown. And a shrunken head. Apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
DB8A70B8-F14C-4FD7-823E-93DCEC7AA53E.jpeg

I’m on one now. She does realise that landlords/ladies have to maintain properties, doesn’t she?

We just had to have a new boiler. When we last had a new boiler (2008 I think, in another house though), it was A LOT cheaper. When we have had anything done recently, it cost more than it did pre-covid. We expect that. We save and brace for it every time we do something or upgrade the house. All of that will be factored in to rent increases.

She is such a bleeping moron.

• Wow
Reactions: 48
I have a couple of friends who are selling their houses at the moment because they can’t afford mortgage increases, cost of living increases. It’s very common.
I’ve also had a friend who has had her house sale fall through 3 times because the cost of living is messing with peoples mortgage applications.

Shouldn’t she just be heating one room anyway in her house move cosplay.

• Sad
Reactions: 34
This is my first Sloppies. I have voted.

I wonder what other breadcrumbing to the begging bowl we will get today 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Interesting that rather than absorb the rent increase, she has the money to move. It’s such an outlay to get movers, deposit etc, to be able to afford all that in a one off rather than just pay a bit extra every month? I’ve had to stay in places because the cost to move was too high.

P.S No way has she posted those rewards, she would’ve updated Patreon directly.

ETA did a P.S chaos 🫠

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I live in a nice bit of a v deprived town in the North. A two up two down terrace with no drive, no garden, no extension etc has just come up for rent near mine for £700 a month.
It's as basic as a house can get.
A sprawling detached with drive, garden, outbuildings etc in Southend for £1650 sounds fairly reasonable all things considered. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 39
I have a couple of friends who are selling their houses at the moment because they can’t afford mortgage increases, cost of living increases. It’s very common.
I’ve also had a friend who has had her house sale fall through 3 times because the cost of living is messing with peoples mortgage applications.

Shouldn’t she just be heating one room anyway in her house move cosplay.
She's such an idiot - I know we've been through all this before - but she seems to think she can do magical sums which show how she can pay for a mortgage and it would be so much cheaper than renting. OK so first there's the deposit, then there's the mortgage rates (she seems to think these are fixed and will stay at £750 per month no matter what). But then there's broken boilers, burst pipes, roofing, guttering, ah yes the tree surgeons she was complaining about who cost a fair whack, the possible need to put in double glazing, etc etc etc. Bizarre she doesn't know this considering she's third generation landlord.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.