Jack Monroe #440 Gently navigating the hinterland of plagiarism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Regarding the rent increase. I’ve been a reluctant landlord and maintained my property and never increased the rent. When my tenant moved out I sold it because I’m more secure where I am and have no plans to move back to where I was.

my OH has a very small mortgage - around 75k - the house was cheap, he had a decent deposit and as a result we were able to invest in it over the past few years and given market rates plus the improvements, we’ve increased the value.

OH’s mortgage is up for renewal. He’s decided to chop a year off the term, but even still, the best fixed rate he could get us still £110 more than he was paying.
A £150 rise seems normal/reasonable for Jack’s house.
If the house is worth 700k, a rent of 1750 would give a yield of 3%.

If it's worth 750k, a rent of 1875 would give a yield of 3%.

Most "deliberate" landlords won't touch a yield of less than 5%.

The idea that her landlord is taking 2.57% and planning a rise to a yield of 2.82% (if the house was worth £700k, surely it is worth more than that) is quite surprising in the opposite way to which she thinks.

I wouldn't buy stocks giving me a sub 3% return unless there was some other good reason to buy them. No risk, no tax liab, no moaning tenant, no dog, no cleaning or agency fees. Why have Jack next door for 2.5% 😭

Reactions: 47
I think this has always come down to the fact Jack doesn't know the difference between 'need' and 'want'.

What you need and what you want are two very different things. I bought a two bed flat because I didn't need a house. I could even have bought a one bed as I'm on my own most of the time. The fact that she's renting doesn't change that. You rent/buy the place you need not the place you want.

The fella and I want to buy a three or four bed house together one day because we have plans for how we want our life and our space to be. This woman has no concept of making do or planning for the future.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
No wants a monthly subscription sent in a 2 year bundle. It’s bleeping stupid, you want a small treat every month, a pick me up, not a big pack of postcards.

The whole patreon thing is a fine example of her stupidness and laziness. Obviously the way to go from the start was digital content. I bet most chefs could do it with zero effort, although she’s not a chef or a cook….
I for one do NOT want further episodes of Comic Kitchen WARNED

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I think this has always come down to the fact Jack doesn't know the difference between 'need' and 'want'.

What you need and what you want are two very different things. I bought a two bed flat because I didn't need a house. I could even have bought a one bed as I'm on my own most of the time. The fact that she's renting doesn't change that. You rent/buy the place you need not the place you want.

The fella and I want to buy a three or four bed house together one day because we have plans for how we want our life and our space to be. This woman has no concept of making do or planning for the future.
Yes, it's her sense of entitlement again. And her complete lack of self-awareness which means she just can't recognise her privileges. Even when she's making up stories about pensioners eating toothpaste, she seems to think she's in the same boat as those she's meant to be campaigning for (ie the Poors).

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I’d take being triangulated by @Geetbo and my front door being covered in three tin tender over a polite knock and a chat about hydrangeas from Jack any day.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Shock as freelance income is proved to be insecure and energy bills also rise.

I noted this interesting addition to the Twitter reporting functions.

Offered tips or currency — or encouraged to send them — in a way that’s deceptive or promotes or causes harm
Elon knows.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
Thanks for all that you do!

Get voting frauen and remember I have sworn to engage in post Sloppies hooliganism if the Big Burger Bang doesn't scoop the chaos crown.
It was so hard to choose between HH2 and Potatoes for best chaos.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I am a northerner 🔺 I pay £600 mortgage a month for a 3 bed semi with front & back gardens in a nice area. However my attached neighbours rent and they pay £1200pcm for exactly the same. So under £2000pcm for a 4 bed detached with a garden in a nice southern seaside town seems quite good, really? She’d never be able to buy anything half as nice for that and usually it’s the other way around. I’m confused as to why she’s moaning.

Surely her landlord will know she’s moving as she’s been open about it on Twitter for months and has packed, I’m utterly confused as to her end goal here, is it low level grifting , sympathy fishing, what? If she can’t afford the rent and is allergic to work she should move. The landlord can charge what they like, it’s their house.

Reactions: 43
If Jack is moaning about her freelance "work" making it hard in a COL crisis (where surely she should be the expert with actionable, useful advice so not struggling as much as she claims to be? 🤷‍♀️), surely she should JUST GET A bleeping JOB.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
If the house is worth 700k, a rent of 1750 would give a yield of 3%.

If it's worth 750k, a rent of 1875 would give a yield of 3%.

Most "deliberate" landlords won't touch a yield of less than 5%.

The idea that her landlord is taking 2.57% and planning a rise to a yield of 2.82% (if the house was worth £700k, surely it is worth more than that) is quite surprising in the opposite way to which she thinks.

I wouldn't buy stocks giving me a sub 3% return unless there was some other good reason to buy them. No risk, no tax liab, no moaning tenant, no dog, no cleaning or agency fees. Why have Jack next door for 2.5% 😭
I read this twice and what I’ve taken from it is this:

• Haha
  • Heart
If Jack is moaning about her freelance "work" making it hard in a COL crisis (where surely she should be the expert with actionable, useful advice so not struggling as much as she claims to be? 🤷‍♀️), surely she should JUST GET A bleeping JOB.
Or you know, actually do some freelance work. When was the last time she posted a slop recipe?

• Haha
  • Heart
Or you know, actually do some freelance work. When was the last time she posted a slop recipe?
A freelancer with a passive income of at least £2.5k per month. BEFORE she does any actual work. Poor old Jack eh? How's that going to keep her in sideboards?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
I read this twice and what I’ve taken from it is this:
Hahaha.

Sorry 😞

I'll try again. Just without evidence and numbers that make people feel sad. Landlady isn't maximising what she could make from this. £1650 ain't much for a £700k house.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I know things have probably moved on, but this really makes me angry, if her landlady had been a total 'see you next Tuesday' I could understand but she's never been anything but kind as Jack will testify in many posts she's put on in the past. She's also not correcting people when they say he, when as Jack knows it's a lady that inherited that house after her mother died. That is why it's mortgage free. It's all spite and envy. No mention of daddy the landlord I see.

And it won't sit empty, it's in a lovely area and a nice house, it will go quickly.

Attachments

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
Hahaha.

Sorry 😞

I'll try again. Just without evidence and numbers that make people feel sad. Landlady isn't maximising what she could make from this. £1650 ain't much for a £700k house.
It's even cheaper when you consider it's a three bedroom house, so if it was a houseshare it would be £500 per month per bedroom. Which is, like, 1990 prices.

• Heart
Regarding the rent increase. I’ve been a reluctant landlord and maintained my property and never increased the rent. When my tenant moved out I sold it because I’m more secure where I am and have no plans to move back to where I was.

my OH has a very small mortgage - around 75k - the house was cheap, he had a decent deposit and as a result we were able to invest in it over the past few years and given market rates plus the improvements, we’ve increased the value.

OH’s mortgage is up for renewal. He’s decided to chop a year off the term, but even still, the best fixed rate he could get is still £110 more than he was paying.
A £150 rise seems normal/reasonable for Jack’s house.
As someone who is also a reluctant landlord......spoiler alert my dad brought a second home after he retired and he had paid off the mortgage on his primary home and since he passed away on the 7th of January this I've been struggling with whether or not to sell ( because I don't want to kick a family out of their home ) Or raise the rent, (But can they afford it? And what about my probate matters?) I can understand her not liking the rent increase. But I'm not sure that landlord really wanted to. Perhaps it's also been a difficult decision for said landlord.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Also we don't know the landlady's situation. Does she also own her own home? Is she able to work? Or does she need to rent out the house in order to pay her own rent/mortgage? And, as mentioned, the upkeep of a rental property still costs money.
I think Jack is making a big error shouting about her rent and bills - she is coming across as very entitled, and also clearly earning a decent amount. I simply do not believe she's been locked into her rental contract - she has chosen to stay there and not downsize sooner because she felt she can afford it.

• Heart
As someone who is also a reluctant landlord......spoiler alert my dad brought a second home after he retired and he had paid off the mortgage on his primary home and since he passed away on the 7th of January this I've been struggling with whether or not to sell ( because I don't want to kick a family out of their home ) Or raise the rent, (But can they afford it? And what about my probate matters?) I can understand her not liking the rent increase. But I'm not sure that landlord really wanted to. Perhaps it's also been a difficult decision for said landlord.
If you're a good landlord, or intend to be, I'd speak to them. If you sell, either a landlord will buy it and raise the rent, or they have to find a new home with today's market prices anyway which will be higher.

They'll know their LL has passed away and are probably anxious about all this anyway. Better to find a sustainable way forward for everyone. They may be ok about a raised rent, esp if the alternative is a new house with raised rent.

Staying on the same low rent forever isn't realistic. If they are good people they'll understand. Maybe there's an amount between what you want and they want that's acceptable to everyone.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.