Jack Monroe #434 The price of jam: Will it be £40 by the end of the year?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was the anshoyard phase really two years ago? I'm sure there's some sort of quantum strangeness happening with Jacktime. How much would Brian Cox charge to come and give a talk to the canal?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
Even her word salads are pish
Nigella's lush, delicious, stunning, enchanting over-writing is bad enough, but Jack's writing is like an incompetent imitation of Nigella's. Not to mention that Nigella's recipes actually work.

And when Nigella starts off a recipe with something like "The idea for this velvety concoction came to me as I was returning home from lunch with some delightful friends who had invited me to their summer home. As I strolled along the peaceful country lanes, the scent of freshly-mown hay, full of promise for the brilliant days yet to come, reminded me of [goes on like this for several paragraphs]" I would be willing to bet that something like this actually happened. Unlike Jack's tiresome variations on the theme of "I'm a wacky smol pixie and this unexpected inspiration just popped into my wildly creative mind".

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 81
Not a lot to add other than I'm still raging about that poor kitten that she caused so much unnecessary suffering to , just for social media attention.
It’s what brought me here a couple of years ago. I was an admirer of Jack and then the kitten happened and I was horrified she could treat it in such a way.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 53
Nigella's lush, delicious, stunning, enchanting over-writing is bad enough, but Jack's writing is like an incompetent imitation of Nigella's. Not to mention that Nigella's recipes actually work.

And when Nigella starts off a recipe with something like "The idea for this velvety concoction came to me as I was returning home from lunch with some delightful friends who had invited me to their summer home. As I strolled along the peaceful country lanes, the scent of freshly-mown hay, full of promise for the brilliant days yet to come, reminded me of [goes on like this for several paragraphs]" I would be willing to bet that something like this actually happened. Unlike Jack's tiresome variations on the theme of "I'm a wacky smol pixie and this unexpected inspiration just popped into my wildly creative mind".
Jack's preambles are far bleaker. 'This recipe came to me as I was feeling highly disgruntled at having to make dinner for myself and small boy. I softly, gently rummaged around the fridge and found some liquified cucumber, fingered a wilting leek and threw in a tin of prunes. It looks awful and doesn't taste much better but here's the recipe anyway...'

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 92
  • Haha
Reactions: 47

Totally agree Dear Hoopdee,
It was this bit about the eggs 🥚 that grated my mushrooms the most.... 🍄
Screenshot_20221127-222251_Chrome.jpg

I mean wtaf is she talking about?

'Not do your eggs any fear nor foul?'
Your eggs should be 'luxuriating nearby awaiting their fate'?

Utter, utter bullshit.... my tender brain can not compute, It hurts... gahaghaaa....

ETA... because no, I haven't finished ranting....
She thinks she is some sort of Jilly Cooper/Shakespeare wordsmith.... and, yes Dearhearts, I am aware that combination is as odd as one of her recipes.... So go well pals, and duck off ✌

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 80
Totally agree Dear Hoopdee,
It was this bit about the eggs 🥚 that grated my mushrooms the most.... 🍄
View attachment 1765371
I mean wtaf is she talking about?

'Not do your eggs any fear nor foul?'
Your eggs should be 'luxuriating nearby awaiting their fate'?

Utter, utter bullshit.... my tender brain can not compute, It hurts... gahaghaaa....
They’re bloody eggs, it’s not the second coming of the messiah 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
She's talking about hard boiling eggs fgs.

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 23.12.33.png

The usual 'Salt - 3p' doesn't even appear in the costings.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
I love that the camera reel shows that she took loads of pictures of the eggs and they still came out looking shite.
This link took me down quite the rabbit hole.

The author notes list several charities and food banks Jack “works with”. Only one still lists her as an ambassador, along with Leggy (the Food Chain).
All the others have removed nearly all mentions of her. The only mention of her on Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) website is in passing in an article written about That Man

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 37
The chores list is horrid and the comments about SB’s toilet habits are demeaning in the extreme. And also a bit rich coming from someone who appears to have an aversion to soap.

Also, who has the time to write out all this tit and make notes and then document those written notes with photos and loads more writing? It’s all drivel but she is writes A LOT. She has handwritten stuff absolutely everywhere, she can’t even help herself writing all over her kitchen walls. And she blogs and keeps spreadsheets and is (usually) clogging up social media feeds with great wadges of text. She never uses one word when 200 will do. I find myself wondering whether this compulsion to write is indicative of something.
The thought of anyone humiliating an 8 year old child on the internet, like that, actually turns my stomach.
I hope he was and is with her as little as possible. She is vile. 😡

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 53
Well upside down fish pie, or as I like to call it, fish and veg in sauce over mash, was 7 years in the making dearheart.

Is this the Good Hearty Soup recipe that uses a tin of soup, amongst many other tins, to make soup?
I think it’s the tomato soup that’s made with a tin of tomato soup plus a load of other ingredients. But I would not put it past her to have more than one mise en abyme recipe.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Was the anshoyard phase really two years ago? I'm sure there's some sort of quantum strangeness happening with Jacktime. How much would Brian Cox charge to come and give a talk to the canal?
Anshoyard 😂. I've been reading that stupid article and looking at her pronunciation of anchoiade and thinking, is there an R in there? I don't think there is 🤔. I sound like a pirate when I pronounce it the Jack Way 😂.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Just a thought, but if Jam might be 40 quid by the end of the year and rice went up 344%, Imwondering what the projected cost of Grifty Kitchen will be by its release date in Jan. Possibly they will pay people to take one?

• Haha
Reactions: 39
What is it with her and doing weird arsed fiddly things with tinned fish? And there's always fish oil stained notes too. Surely it would be better to JUST MAKE DEVILLED EGGS but add a sliver of anchovy for taste and decoration for those that like them?!
Because Jack is a chef. Mere cooks make creamy, rich deviled eggs that lots of people enjoy. Chefs make warm, soupy, canned fish eggs and eat them in bed. Under the covers.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.