Jack Monroe #434 The price of jam: Will it be £40 by the end of the year?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mine too! At Christmas, we'd be given one, despite our very young ages.

I wonder what the Flying Monkeys do when Jack's away? None of them ever ask after her. It's like they're in a trance or something, that only she can personally break by doing a chaos.
I picture them as being in cupboard in the dark, the cupboard door slowly creaking open to reveal them any time she posts on twitter

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Imagine giving your books away before even selling any. Is anyone else seeing a
flaw in this charade?

• Haha
Reactions: 31
madness. absolute madness

jack! please do something before we devolve into bread roll discourse! 😭
Ah the good old bread buns, bread rolls, barms, baps, etc etc! I worked in a bakery 🔺 when I was younger and being the north east 🔺we made and sold stotties. While they are still available nowadays, their "big brother", the fadge, I fear has disappeared from circulation! If you ever mention fadges around here nowadays (mostly to younger people or those outside of the immediate area)...well, you don't half get a strange look!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I believe in Northern Ireland/Ireland the fadge has potato in it (those Irish...;)😁) but here they were just big flat bread rounds.
For the southerners ;) - below is the stottie: around 2" deep and precisely 6" wide (at our bakery). Fadges were the same depth but 10" wide. You could make a single sandwich to feed 4-6 people at lunchtime out of one!
stottie.jpeg

I am very jealous of your lovely-sounding grandparents - my only living grandmother when I was young was a witch, so no happy memories there.:poop: However, our parents let us have a Snowball or a Babycham at Christmas and New Year, so we weren't completely deprived.😁 I wouldn't thank you for either of them these days, the thought of drinking Advocaat makes me want to hurl (and I drank far too many brandy & Babychams in my early drinking years to go anywhere near them now I'm old/more mature).:sick: Put myself off both of them for life, I did.:sick:

Heck, Jack, look what you've done to us! I'm talking about baps (of the bread kind)! We're almost as boring as YOU! #jackmonroegrifter

As you were, ninnies.:m

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
I think the Flying Monkeys are being enraged on behalf of other people whilst Jack is quiet. Finding new pile-ons to be part of.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Exactly. It’s intense, but running your own business is such a privilege when you consider flexible working hours, being able to take holiday without getting permission, potential for passive (or at least semi-passive) income from resale of products you’ve already created, and the choice, omg, of what you actually do, day to day. The way Jack portrays it, self-employment is triple the work with none of the financial rewards of salaried employment. And it’s fraudulent nonsense to present her life that way when she’s in such a privileged position. Which any actual self employed person can recognise. Lord.
And even more infuriating when you see all the opportunities and connections she's had and just pissed away by being a crappy unprofessional person. As Mom Nigella said when she was hawking Jack's patreon, it is unfathomable how someone with seven books and all that work is only scraping by.

I think she's had hundreds of thousands go through her fingers, and has left more on the table, but hasn't managed to keep it because she's a shopping (and maybe other things) addict.

Eta: word @MadelineBassett - I've been freelance/self employed for seven years and love it, however hard it is. If Jack truly couldn't hack it any more but genuinely cared about her causes, she could get a job with a charity.... I suspect there are many reasons why she doesn't/can't

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Imagine giving your books away before even selling any. Is anyone else seeing a
flaw in this charade?
I'm not sure if he's the one out of pocket 🤔
Don't other squigs pay for one and then he forwards it on? I noticed he was charging £19.99, so profiting while looking like the good guy. Sounds like someone else we know...

• Wow
Reactions: 34
13 lightbulbs
7 chairs
13 bookshelves
2 large graters, a mouli grater, one mini grater for chocolate sprinkles
3 woolly hats
24 teeth
0 cats resident, 11 visiting

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I made the new thread. There were two thread title suggestions with the same number of likes to I had to make a decision myself (actually just asked Psychic Slopbot), please don't wish for me to literally stop breathing.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.