Jack Monroe #434 The price of jam: Will it be £40 by the end of the year?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
WHSmith have bottled it

View attachment 1764965

@blurstoftimes Anchoiade Devilled Eggs recipe for you dear heart

She chose to illustrate this recipe with a rather unprofressional phone screenshot for some reason, so left in the camera roll (again)
What's this, snaps of other people's recipes?
Makes you think
Oh nevermind she admits it's an 'amalgamation' of Delia Smith and Mireille Johnston recipes anyway
The cocktail was from around 08/10/20 so falls outside the *checks notes* 507 day sober range

View attachment 1764988

I though this was amusing while looking for that recipe
1463 more words, yippee

View attachment 1765016
Thing is, she doesn’t seem to steal many recipes because most online recipes actually work…maybe she just closes her eyes and points at the page and deletes whatever ingredient it’s on to make it cheaper/slop…

• Haha
Reactions: 36
The chores list is horrid and the comments about SB’s toilet habits are demeaning in the extreme. And also a bit rich coming from someone who appears to have an aversion to soap.

Also, who has the time to write out all this tit and make notes and then document those written notes with photos and loads more writing? It’s all drivel but she is writes A LOT. She has handwritten stuff absolutely everywhere, she can’t even help herself writing all over her kitchen walls. And she blogs and keeps spreadsheets and is (usually) clogging up social media feeds with great wadges of text. She never uses one word when 200 will do. I find myself wondering whether this compulsion to write is indicative of something.
Indicative of believing your every brain fart should be preserved for posterity imo

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Perhaps my teens do more than average, but I’m a one parent house hold, with disabilities, I work/study full time and have a commute that takes around 2.5-3 hours per day. The chores are by no means done every day (we’re all ND, 7YO may be the only one of us that isn’t), we do live in a fair bit of WHERES MY KEYS (thank duck for Tiles) type chaos, and it’s far from a show home as I frankly can’t be fucked to spend my precious down time scrubbing/tidying.

But their friends comment on how it’s “got, like, warm vibes and you’re so chill” (I am anything but chill under the surface) which I think means I’m happy to sit knitting with cartoons on whilst 7YO has LEGO everywhere (floor is a regular death trap for it), teens are throwing sausages and hash browns in the oven for breakfast, there’s a Mount Doom of laundry to put away, rather than following the teens around the kitchen putting stuff away after they’ve used it/frantically throwing LEGO in the boxes whilst it’s still being played with etc.

I just cant be arsed. Between ADHD, post viral fatigue and the side effects of my CPTSD meds, I cannot.

Someone I know has 3 teens and a very smol child. She doesn’t lift a finger to cook or clean, only does bath/bed with the very smol child once per week, because the teens are all scheduled to do all of it.

She works very part time from home and is often found in the shed, crafting whatever she’s trying that week.

I didn’t realise how bad it is was (in terms of it being ran like a house share with 4 adults where one of them does duck all) until I spent a week there when I visited having not seen her for years.

I’ve had very little contact with her since then, I found it really upsetting. It was truly bizarre watching 3 teenagers tag team a toddler as if they were the parents.

Jacks list for SB gave me a migraine. I can’t imagine how much time it would take to police an 8YO doing all that. Quicker to do it yourself, no?
Who exactly is using the bathroom bin in that household? Is SB putting his used tampons or pads in? Maybe it's all his razors he needs to throw out or his face masks, empty make up bottles etc.
Granted they'll be a few loo rolls he's used the tissue from and maybe a toothpaste tube but she's awful making him clean up after her.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 58
Agree, as ever, this is all a big performance by her and unlikely to be true in reality. Most families handle the running of a household and chores miraculously without charts, cards in jars or social media. Most parents ask their kids to help with the dishes, pick up their towels, tidy away their shoes, etc. It's just part of life.
She's nowhere near organised enough to have maintained it, for a start.

But even if she didn't actually imolement it, the worst thing is her trying to humiliate SB online with toilet habits talk...even if he's none the wiser and never saw it, she wrote those specific things down for a reason. And that makes her a massive thwat.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 60
Thing is, she doesn’t seem to steal many recipes because most online recipes actually work…maybe she just closes her eyes and points at the page and deletes whatever ingredient it’s on to make it cheaper/slop…
I think that's definitely one of the reasons, she has notes on cocking about with oil and vinegar in that recipe that sound superficially valid but there's no logic behind it just "it seems ok" or "because cheaper". She also admits she's never had devilled eggs before so she's not going to understand what they're supposed to be, or how her changes would compromise/undermine it, I suppose from a recipe or general cookery/principles viewpoint. Kind if like wearing manky jeans and a T shirt to a black tie do.
She appears to think that if there's a difference between two recipes then you can just use whatever third variant as a substitution (like white vinegar here). When you're going for a headline 10p figure nothing's sacred.
Notes on ingredients and substitutions:

*OIL. Traditionally you would use olive oil here, but I only keep sunflower to hand, and there’s so much else going on here it doesn’t seem to matter in the scheme of things, but if olive oil is something you keep in your cupboard, feel free to use it for a richer and more authentic vibe.

**VINEGAR. Strictures on vinegar seem to vary from recipe to recipe, so I used distilled white vinegar as it is my baseline for almost everything, but it is a touch sharper than say, white wine or cider vinegar. Some recipes use red wine vinegar, which I suspect is also utterly delicious, but I try to keep things to a budget as far as possible without compromising too much on the finished result.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
I don’t think I ever saw the anchioade eggs recipe in full before. Leaving out the disgustingness of eating fishy eggs under your duvet (lingering honk, anyone?), it’s just so COMPLICATED! FOUR BOWLS, to make fricking devilled eggs? FOUR? Fishing boiling eggs out of boiling water to put in a bowl of cold water instead of just filling the pan with cold water? A bowl for the shelled eggs, instead of just putting them back into the pan of cold water? Another bowl for the shells? And 10 minutes in boiling water to cook the eggs? They must be like rubber. No wonder she has outbuildings full of crockery, she needs it all to make four bleeping devilled eggs!! WHAT IF THE POORS DON’T HAVE FOUR SPARE BOWLS, JACK? How do they make their fishy duvet eggs then, eh? EH?? WILL NO ONE THINK OF THE POORS?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 78
But even if she didn't actually imolement it, the worst thing is her trying to humiliate SB online with toilet habits talk...even if he's none the wiser and never saw it, she wrote those specific things down for a reason. And that makes her a massive thwat.
Especially when she's said on multiple times that she knows his teachers and friends follow her social media. bleeping disgusting.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
Especially when she's said on multiple times that she knows his teachers and friends follow her social media. bleeping disgusting.
I know. Poo stains and missing the toilet.
She thought this was appropriate to broadcast to the nation about her young son. So many boundaries crossed right there.
What a ghastly parent she portrays herself to be.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 71
Just leaving this excerpt from the Anchoïade recipe here and would remind you that she writes for a living…

BCB501EC-EF37-4138-BBFA-4D1828A387B5.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 64
Not a lot to add other than I'm still raging about that poor kitten that she caused so much unnecessary suffering to , just for social media attention.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 46
She thought this was appropriate to broadcast to the nation about her young son. So many boundaries crossed right there.
I just want to say at this juncture, for any child or SB should they ever read this - these toilet messes are totally normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 75
She's just trying to blame someone else for being the SH1TTER. SB is innocent. Iqbal knows the truth. #Justice4Iqbal.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
I don’t think I ever saw the anchioade eggs recipe in full before. Leaving out the disgustingness of eating fishy eggs under your duvet (lingering honk, anyone?), it’s just so COMPLICATED! FOUR BOWLS, to make fricking devilled eggs? FOUR? Fishing boiling eggs out of boiling water to put in a bowl of cold water instead of just filling the pan with cold water? A bowl for the shelled eggs, instead of just putting them back into the pan of cold water? Another bowl for the shells? And 10 minutes in boiling water to cook the eggs? They must be like rubber. No wonder she has outbuildings full of crockery, she needs it all to make four bleeping devilled eggs!! WHAT IF THE POORS DON’T HAVE FOUR SPARE BOWLS, JACK? How do they make their fishy duvet eggs then, eh? EH?? WILL NO ONE THINK OF THE POORS?

What is it with her and doing weird arsed fiddly things with tinned fish? And there's always fish oil stained notes too. Surely it would be better to JUST MAKE DEVILLED EGGS but add a sliver of anchovy for taste and decoration for those that like them?!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 37
Just clicked the recipe link. Wtf is 'celestially obscene'? How does that relate devilled eggs?

Even her word salads are pish

Also, lolling at how she costed for a quarter of an onion in that recipe, at 3p.

But the biggest crime of all is the grey/green egg filling that is way to wet of course. Hmmmm grey/green slop on an egg white.

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 54
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.