Jack Monroe #434 The price of jam: Will it be £40 by the end of the year?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We are currently equal to the 164 hours if including the replies. 188 hours since last week.
We are in unprecedented times! What snack choice will bring her out of this hiatus?
Popcorn. I'm going with anchovy and banana for Jack's choice.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
It's such an unusual promotional campaign, keeping the author quiet. I wonder how long the silent strop will last. Will this new book of delicious, thoroughly tested recipes be published with not a peep from Jack?
View attachment 1764500
Go well, dear tenderstems.
Jack's thoroughly tested recipes for new books served two purposes according to her.
She triple tested them and as a matter of course would donate all the resulting slop tasty meals to her local Community Kitchen. Remember dear old Geoff requesting something or another? (We'll gloss over the fact many ninnies pointed out that unless her kitchen was hygiene certified to produce meals for like this it would not be allowed 🙄).
And the other advantage of all this testing, according to Jack, was she had a freezer full of ready meals.
What a marvel she is.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
I love that her comedy recipes are reaching a worldwide audience. Wait until they hear about hoop rinsing

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I saw about 5 mins of mr matt this morning. Some lady was cooking a chicken that look lush and they were having jolly japes. She could never.

Also has is she back, telling people off yet?

Reactions: 26
Hola! I’ve been away for a few days but am all caught up now and suitably horrified at the chore list. It’s basically a “make it look like you don’t exist” instruction manual. and what’s with all the door handle wiping? So weird.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
Chores - sometimes Jack says she is /was a mummy blogger. Sometimes mummy bloggers do publish lists of chores their kids do. Often they are full of comments saying “they’re only little once”, and therefore make great content if you are only a mummy blogger for the attention/clout. I haven’t looked at the comments on Jack’s post so I don’t know if the algorithm took her into people’s timelines with her chores list.

Reactions: 26
I keep hoping she is taking her son and doing lots of things during this break. I know in reality she isnt but i am hoping!!!

• Sad
Reactions: 24
Chores - sometimes Jack says she is /was a mummy blogger. Sometimes mummy bloggers do publish lists of chores their kids do. Often they are full of comments saying “they’re only little once”, and therefore make great content if you are only a mummy blogger for the attention/clout. I haven’t looked at the comments on Jack’s post so I don’t know if the algorithm took her into people’s timelines with her chores list.
Agree, as ever, this is all a big performance by her and unlikely to be true in reality. Most families handle the running of a household and chores miraculously without charts, cards in jars or social media. Most parents ask their kids to help with the dishes, pick up their towels, tidy away their shoes, etc. It's just part of life.

Reactions: 42
Oooof. That chores list. Not much more to add beyond what has already been said. We all know Jack is a mucky bugger so the idea of her writing a cleaning list rather than actually, you know, cleaning.......is on point.

That she would then decide her 8 YEAR OLD should pick up after her like she isn't the grown up in the situation is as per rialto tbh.

I keep a clean (mainly) tidy home now as an adult because my own Mum was a cleaner. And she modelled good behaviours and taking care of your space. I saw her cleaning and working hard as a kid when she couldn't get childcare. As two adults we now share cleaning tips. She's not without her issues but lord knows most Mums don't treat their kids this way.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Perhaps my teens do more than average, but I’m a one parent house hold, with disabilities, I work/study full time and have a commute that takes around 2.5-3 hours per day. The chores are by no means done every day (we’re all ND, 7YO may be the only one of us that isn’t), we do live in a fair bit of WHERES MY KEYS (thank duck for Tiles) type chaos, and it’s far from a show home as I frankly can’t be fucked to spend my precious down time scrubbing/tidying.

But their friends comment on how it’s “got, like, warm vibes and you’re so chill” (I am anything but chill under the surface) which I think means I’m happy to sit knitting with cartoons on whilst 7YO has LEGO everywhere (floor is a regular death trap for it), teens are throwing sausages and hash browns in the oven for breakfast, there’s a Mount Doom of laundry to put away, rather than following the teens around the kitchen putting stuff away after they’ve used it/frantically throwing LEGO in the boxes whilst it’s still being played with etc.

I just cant be arsed. Between ADHD, post viral fatigue and the side effects of my CPTSD meds, I cannot.

Someone I know has 3 teens and a very smol child. She doesn’t lift a finger to cook or clean, only does bath/bed with the very smol child once per week, because the teens are all scheduled to do all of it.

She works very part time from home and is often found in the shed, crafting whatever she’s trying that week.

I didn’t realise how bad it is was (in terms of it being ran like a house share with 4 adults where one of them does duck all) until I spent a week there when I visited having not seen her for years.

I’ve had very little contact with her since then, I found it really upsetting. It was truly bizarre watching 3 teenagers tag team a toddler as if they were the parents.

Jacks list for SB gave me a migraine. I can’t imagine how much time it would take to police an 8YO doing all that. Quicker to do it yourself, no?
I hate to defend her but I think she was just ripping off ideas online where you make a whole list of tasks and your child(ren) can pick the ones they want to earn extra tablet time/pocket money and doing it in her own performative way. I went down an American blog rabbit hole at one point and it was all the rage (and we know how Jack loves to be yeehaw Jack)- the idea wasn’t that they’d do all the list but that they’d pick and it gave them autonomy. I don’t think she was claiming she expected SB to do them all from the caption she wrote.

Only she’s Jack so it comes with a side of her normal patronising self in the instructions and that’s what’s really telling.

Reactions: 33
The chores list is horrid and the comments about SB’s toilet habits are demeaning in the extreme. And also a bit rich coming from someone who appears to have an aversion to soap.

Also, who has the time to write out all this tit and make notes and then document those written notes with photos and loads more writing? It’s all drivel but she is writes A LOT. She has handwritten stuff absolutely everywhere, she can’t even help herself writing all over her kitchen walls. And she blogs and keeps spreadsheets and is (usually) clogging up social media feeds with great wadges of text. She never uses one word when 200 will do. I find myself wondering whether this compulsion to write is indicative of something.

Reactions: 60
It's such an unusual promotional campaign, keeping the author quiet. I wonder how long the silent strop will last. Will this new book of delicious, thoroughly tested recipes be published with not a peep from Jack?
View attachment 1764500
Go well, dear tenderstems.
WHSmith have bottled it

firefox_2o4PPvz0P3.png

@blurstoftimes Anchoiade Devilled Eggs recipe for you dear heart

She chose to illustrate this recipe with a rather unprofressional phone screenshot for some reason, so left in the camera roll (again)
What's this, snaps of other people's recipes?
Makes you think
Oh nevermind she admits it's an 'amalgamation' of Delia Smith and Mireille Johnston recipes anyway
The cocktail was from around 08/10/20 so falls outside the *checks notes* 507 day sober range

firefox_UMDLyi9OgT.png

The one with the green banner at the top is just bbc good food.
Someone recently mentioned that they thought all Jack did was google recipes and mix n match a few. Seems like that's pretty much spot on.
She's snapped online sources and books above, considering she has so many books taking one recipe from online and one from a book would make plagiarism very difficult to pin down.

1669582314015.png

The chores list is horrid and the comments about SB’s toilet habits are demeaning in the extreme. And also a bit rich coming from someone who appears to have an aversion to soap.

Also, who has the time to write out all this tit and make notes and then document those written notes with photos and loads more writing? It’s all drivel but she is writes A LOT. She has handwritten stuff absolutely everywhere, she can’t even help herself writing all over her kitchen walls. And she blogs and keeps spreadsheets and is (usually) clogging up social media feeds with great wadges of text. She never uses one word when 200 will do. I find myself wondering whether this compulsion to write is indicative of something.
I though this was amusing while looking for that recipe
1463 more words, yippee

iXnlbPN1c5.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.