Jack Monroe #434 The price of jam: Will it be £40 by the end of the year?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure if I have to squig a high school's home economics twitter account but shouldn't they be following a curriculum?
Sorry but what the feck is this awful sludgy brown sauce? Each one of those recipes looks rank but this one in particular turns my stomach! :sick:
Call Childline, pronto!😬
sludge.jpeg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
That’s half a tin of coconut milk is it? Billy bullshiter.
(Also five sausages and half a tin of coconut milk for three people?!)
It's a MOO POINT because he wouldn't touch mushroom stroganoff but my son will have 6 if not 8 sausages over two meals (so sausage and mash with gravy for dinner then a hot packed lunch the next day). Admittedly he's 17 and doing a physically demanding apprenticeship but I really don't know who she's aiming these 'recipes' at. It's a bit of a con all round really. Insufficient portion sizes to keep costs low and that's before getting to how it looks and tastes.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
The first time I saw Jack on TV was when she was explaining to someone that she put yogurt into a pot of salmon paste, used it as a sauce for pasta and it tasted quite nice. I thought - stretching basic ingredients and getting on TV to talk about it, fair do's. I then thought she had a repertoire of good cheap cookery. It was not until I found here and started to follow Jack in her posting god awful yellow sticker concoctions phase, that I realised that not only was she unpleasant to people, she also produced awful food. It took such a long time for people to see this. Tin Can Cook was such a tit book. I hope word gets out that it seems she is about to try the same promotional technique with Thrifty Kitchen. I would hate to see amounts of money raised by her supporters that could be going towards food being spent on this book. I don't think it is harmless for the Trussell Trust to accept books bought with money raised in this way.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
That’s half a tin of coconut milk is it? Billy bullshiter.
(Also five sausages and half a tin of coconut milk for three people?!)
My 8 and 7 year old daughters have 2 sausages each for a meal. My 3 year old only eats coco pops so not worth considering when I cook 😭. But if I was to make a sausage based dish for me and my 2 girls I’d probably put 8 sausages in.
And those bollock sausages must be fairly nutrient free anyway.
And as an aside, the thought of coconut milk in stroganoff makes me want to vom 🤢

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I doubt that the media silence is due to rehab. It was a sudden flounce after being backed into a corner when she realised she was ... Fighting fires on all sides due to her stories making her a laughing stock.

I think posting her camera photos was the final straw and she's huffed off, and is probably going to say something like "I was the first to abandon Elon musk's twitter"
Also wouldn't she still be tweeting from a facility for max sympthos to hopefully morph into cashos

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I ate 4 vegetarian sage and onion flavour sausages last night with potatoes and sprouts. Shovelled them down my gullet like a greedy goblin.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Why is everything she makes so wet??? Teeeth are superfluous in Jackland.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
I doubt that the media silence is due to rehab. It was a sudden flounce after being backed into a corner when she realised she was ... Fighting fires on all sides due to her stories making her a laughing stock.

I think posting her camera photos was the final straw and she's huffed off, and is probably going to say something like "I was the first to abandon Elon musk's twitter"
First fires she’s actually had to fight despite having all her extensive fire service experience 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 43
My 8 and 7 year old daughters have 2 sausages each for a meal. My 3 year old only eats coco pops so not worth considering when I cook 😭. But if I was to make a sausage based dish for me and my 2 girls I’d probably put 8 sausages in.
And those bollock sausages must be fairly nutrient free anyway.
And as an aside, the thought of coconut milk in stroganoff makes me want to vom 🤢
That's because you are a normal parent who serves normal portion sizes to their family dearheart.

Reactions: 32
The first time I saw Jack on TV was when she was explaining to someone that she put yogurt into a pot of salmon paste, used it as a sauce for pasta and it tasted quite nice. I thought - stretching basic ingredients and getting on TV to talk about it, fair do's. I then thought she had a repertoire of good cheap cookery. It was not until I found here and started to follow Jack in her posting god awful yellow sticker concoctions phase, that I realised that not only was she unpleasant to people, she also produced awful food. It took such a long time for people to see this. Tin Can Cook was such a tit book. I hope word gets out that it seems she is about to try the same promotional technique with Thrifty Kitchen. I would hate to see amounts of money raised by her supporters that could be going towards food being spent on this book. I don't think it is harmless for the Trussell Trust to accept books bought with money raised in this way.
Yes, I think we sometimes overestimate how much attention people pay to Jack. I followed her on Twitter but muted her years ago, well before these threads started. The reason I muted her was that she kept tweeting pictures of her bedside table with a full bottle of spirits on it and commenting that it was to help her sleep. I kept thinking it was weird and performative, as problem drinkers tend to be secretive about their true level of alcohol consumption, then I'd feel guilty for doubting her. It was after she kicked off about THAT MAN and then David Walliams that I started digging deeper. I had been paying so little attention that I was surprised her and Leggy were no longer an item, I'd completely missed the Kickstarter stuff and God knows how many other chaoses in the years that had passed. I was similarly surprised to learn just how bad her recipes were because other than the peach curry, I hadn't really paid any attention. If anyone had asked me about Jack prior to early 2020 I'd have just described her as a food writer and campaigner and mentioned the Hopkins win but that would have been about it. Even when I first started reading these threads there were comments I thought were a bit OTT when I first read them, until I started to see what she was like for myself. That's in part why, I get irritated with people on Twitter going full spoooons on Twitter at some hapless squig who probably just thinks Jack is a good thing because they've never really look into it.

I had a fair bit of sympathy for the Trussell Trust over the £11,000 donation. It was a tough call to make and if it had been my call I'd probably have taken the money but made it clear to Jack that it was the last time. In teaming up with her for the book and agreeing to distribute books to people who can ill afford to waste food, I think they're actively causing harm and enabling further grifting. I will continue to put tins in the collection point at the supermarket as they're the only foodbank in the immediately local area but I SHAN'T ever give them money.

• Heart
Reactions: 96
'sausage and mushroom stroganoff' when the 'sausages' aren't even legally allowed to be labelled as 'pork sausages'. Disgusting.
Also promising your partner you'll have food for them and then just... not is a narc behaviour. Unfortunately have extensive experience with this type of behaviour.
Oh my god, this was a favourite of my narc relative before I went NC!
And then calling me fat and greedy when I ask after the promised food.
Narcs eh? Not exactly oozing with originality.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Sorry but what the feck is this awful sludgy brown sauce? Each one of those recipes looks rank but this one in particular turns my stomach! :sick:
Call Childline, pronto!😬
View attachment 1768650
So glad we just stuck to fried rice and weetbix slice back in my day! Not sure Home Ec would've been such a popular subject if we had to make that 🤢

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.