Jack Monroe #407 I lost hours yesterday learning about a Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well that was pointless. Such a maverick checking her cupboards before going to the shop.
Groundbreaking (Meryl gif).

Personally I’m not just buying what I need at the moment, I am making sure we are well stocked because, prices are going up (so if you can afford it, it’s better to buy now and keep stuff in) and towards the winter I make sure I have plenty in, just in case the weather turns.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
This ridiculous. She's turning a bolognese into a goulash and then into a chill by adding spices or dark chocolate. How is that saving money?
She's a bleeping nutsack, those dishes all have completely different flavour profiles - they are not interchangeable

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Even with Jack gone, they still weren't talking about anything useful. I can't think of a single tip from that segment. It's no good telling people you grow tomatoes in your greenhouse if they don't have a greenhouse, and it doesn't matter if you buy tinned food or not if your listeners can't afford to buy enough food. It's so frustrating.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
This rang a bell, and lo and behold Allegra and a guy called Paul Merrett had a programme on the BBC thirteen years ago called 'Economy Gastronomy'. One tip of theirs, that I used for a while, was cooking up a basic batch of braised mince and then you could turn it into chilli/bolognaise/whatever with very little effort (and I'm sure the square of dark chocolate was included in their chilli recipe too). JM hasn't had an original thought in her entire bleeping life.
Yeah, we used to use the same base for bolognaise and chilli when we had out ~little shop~. Not freaking goulash tho 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Even with Jack gone, they still weren't talking about anything useful. I can't think of a single tip from that segment. It's no good telling people you grow tomatoes in your greenhouse if they don't have a greenhouse, and it doesn't matter if you buy tinned food or not if your listeners can't afford to buy enough food. It's so frustrating.
Agreed, it feels like a lot of this content is just for over leveraged middle classes who are now having to cut back because they maxed affordability for their mortgage/car lease/home improvement loans and now interest rates are headed up are fucked. But this being the constant narrative in the media is SUCH a disservice to people who are being fucked over by sky high rents & utilities and literally have no money left after the bills are paid. But no one wants to hear from them & Jack is taking up the space of an actual WC and low income woman to rep those ppl ☹

• Heart
Reactions: 78
Stewing steak, tomatoes, beans and MANDERINS?
Why? Just why? We all know that will be bleeping rank.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Well, thank God that's over with. She sounded rough. Was she up all night howling and clawing having finally broken America or was there "weather" ❄ ❄ ❄ in Southend during the night? She really needs to get that nose seen to, she wasn't always that nasal.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
Wouldn’t it be ironic if she actually…ended up poor? Fiscally I mean because she’s wanked all her ill gotten gains. She’s already poor at everything else.
She's going to have to sign on, and if she thought IS and Tax Credits were bad, wait and see what fun she has with UC (self employment monthly, not annual, accounts... minimum income floor... proof of job searching efforts...)
Irritatingly, this will be HH all over again lucky lucky Jack.

Reactions: 26
One thing has just hit me re the expense of her stuff, assuming she has contents insurance it will be a largish premium. I’ve just renewed ours and while we have nothing like the luxury items she has, it’s not cheap and also, I believe, contents insurance is slightly more expensive if you rent.
No insurance can’t afford it apparently 🙄

• Angry
Reactions: 21
I have fallen behind again, and won't actually be able to listen to the BARpod episode until tomorrow. But this is the news I mentioned on F&D a little while ago, and also the reason I am such a stickler for facts here.

(I was also the source for the knitting drama episode a few months ago, for those who heard that. 👀)
I love you @colouredlines. If you are the source, I'll have confidence it'll all be tip top.

Still haven't listened. But I shall later on.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
Janet's just said that you can't go into the baker's and buy just one roll, 'they'd look at you like you were mad'.

Um, no they wouldn't, Janet, they'd pop one in a paper bag for you and charge you 20p or whatever, that's literally how bakers work.
My local bakery must think I'm a raving bleeping lunatic then

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Agreed, it feels like a lot of this content is just for over leveraged middle classes who are now having to cut back because they maxed affordability for their mortgage/car lease/home improvement loans and now interest rates are headed up are fucked. But this being the constant narrative in the media is SUCH a disservice to people who are being fucked over by sky high rents & utilities and literally have no money left after the bills are paid. But no one wants to hear from them & Jack is taking up the space of an actual WC and low income woman to rep those ppl ☹
Exactly! I don't know who their audience is meant to be, but I doubt anyone in genuine poverty will find it helpful. And on a more trivial note, hearing JM's sinus infection voice straight after the fungus talk has now turned me off all food. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Wow that was an inspiring 10? 5? minutes of radio. Wanted to call in a offer her a hanky.

Reactions: 18
Agreed, it feels like a lot of this content is just for over leveraged middle classes who are now having to cut back because they maxed affordability for their mortgage/car lease/home improvement loans and now interest rates are headed up are fucked

Shamefully, this is the bracket I probably fall into 🔺. To be honest those tips are still tit… I already know to check what I have in stock before going food shopping, surely everyone does this? And I know putting chocolate in a goulash does not a chilli make. If anything, they’re tips for people who have no need or intention to cut back on anything, but like to think they’re helping the povs by spouting them anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Exactly this.

It's beyond aggravating at this point.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
I’m saving money by only buying single portions of caviar. I used to buy it in bulk but it’s so wasteful as I’d throw most of it away. Follow me for more lifejacks.

• Haha
Reactions: 73
One thing has just hit me re the expense of her stuff, assuming she has contents insurance it will be a largish premium. I’ve just renewed ours and while we have nothing like the luxury items she has, it’s not cheap and also, I believe, contents insurance is slightly more expensive if you rent.
Almost all house insurers now use credit datat to decide whether to quote, and if they quote, to set the price. I’m assuming that Jack’s CCJs etc. in combination with her occupation (if we accept that as author/blogger) make her price relatively high.

However, I’m sure it would be significantly less than the cost of a Cotswold sideboard etc.

If she had any unspent criminal convictions then given the above that would make her a very problematic risk for home insurers.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.