Jack Monroe #407 I lost hours yesterday learning about a Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agreed, it feels like a lot of this content is just for over leveraged middle classes who are now having to cut back because they maxed affordability for their mortgage/car lease/home improvement loans and now interest rates are headed up are fucked. But this being the constant narrative in the media is SUCH a disservice to people who are being fucked over by sky high rents & utilities and literally have no money left after the bills are paid. But no one wants to hear from them & Jack is taking up the space of an actual WC and low income woman to rep those ppl ☹
It reminds me of this tweet from Sara Cox. I bet she never made it once.

It's hardly revolutionary that when basic flour was 19p a bag you could make a small slice of bread with 2p of ingredients.

1664449953657.png

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
My local bakery must think I'm a raving bleeping lunatic then
I get 1 crusty roll and 1 jam doughnut from my local bakery and get change from a pound! That's why I go to the bakery rather than the supermarket. Just like I go to the butchers to buy 1 chicken breast or 4 sausages etc...

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 67
I hate that Jack is prevailing this idea that poor people need to eat slop or bung tinned fruit into a dish for ??? reasons. Even beans on toast followed by tinned pears for afters is much more appealing, filling and affordable. Is it gourmet? No. I've been poor, I don't want gourmet, I want to not be hungry.

(and Jack's idea of gourmet is... Well, it's not gourmet. Prison food is better than Jack's)

• Heart
Reactions: 65
This rang a bell, and lo and behold Allegra and a guy called Paul Merrett had a programme on the BBC thirteen years ago called 'Economy Gastronomy'. One tip of theirs, that I used for a while, was cooking up a basic batch of braised mince and then you could turn it into chilli/bolognaise/whatever with very little effort (and I'm sure the square of dark chocolate was included in their chilli recipe too). JM hasn't had an original thought in her entire bleeping life.
Er... Confession time, just bought the book from World of Books for £3.99 or something. Nothing groundbreaking, but good recipes I actually want to try. Their money saving tips are a little off (then again this was before half the country ended up poor), but waaaay more usable than anything from JM.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I get 1 crusty roll and 1 jam doughnut from my local bakery and get change from a pound! That's why I go to the bakery rather than the supermarket. Just like I go to the butchers to buy 1 chicken breast or 4 sausages etc...
My local Sainsbury's, Tesco and Lidl all have bakery counters that you can buy just one bread roll from.

• Haha
Reactions: 57
She sounds like a lush old lady. Very very posh. Nasally as ever

She’s got some cheek hasn’t she ? Go away Jack you prick.

Reactions: 28
Hello Tattlers. I’ve been lurking here since the HH2 blogpost. It seemed so unbelievable. I’m here to say thank you for making me laugh more than I can remember. The Jacktionary is a work of genius. (Although the grift itself is no laughing matter.)

I was out with colleagues the other day and it turned out two had already been down the JM rabbit hole. Others are now burrowing. Because of what I do for a living, and certain questions I’ve asked others, I can say with some authority that much more beyond the BAR podcast is already in the pipeline. You won’t be waiting long for more coverage.
Just wanted to say a proper hi now that the radio fuss has died away a bit. Intrigued to find out more about your intel as and when it manifests itself into the public domain, thanks for the heads up!

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Er... Confession time, just bought the book from World of Books for £3.99 or something. Nothing groundbreaking, but good recipes I actually want to try. Their money saving tips are a little off (then again this was before half the country ended up poor), but waaaay more usable than anything from JM.
I have it. There is good stuff in there. The brutus salad is my fave quick tea.

Reactions: 14
My local Sainsbury's, Tesco and Lidl all have bakery counters that you can buy just one bread roll from.
I’ve got a small supermarket almost next door to me, I buy a single roll from there at least a couple of times a week. Why would anyone think that was weird?

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I’ve got a small supermarket almost next door to me, I buy a single roll from there at least a couple of times a week. Why would anyone think that was weird?
I think maybe ~she~ feels weird buying a single anything (presumably because it doesn’t match her idea of how perfect and amazing she is). Therefore everyone else would find it the same 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 27
My local baker splits a loaf in 4 for some elderly ladies, which I find the sweetest thing ever.

Reckon Jack'll think that went well, and the old social media's gonna get fired up soon. What was it she was going to post to her website, I can't listen again as my ears won't let me.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
Just wanted to say a proper hi now that the radio fuss has died away a bit. Intrigued to find out more about your intel as and when it manifests itself into the public domain, thanks for the heads up
Thanks, hello. I have been almost in tears with laughter at times from what I've read here. The picture of the chicken, a young Jack's first roast dinner, kept coming back to me and so I've found myself cackling at probably inappropriate moments. Yesterday's stocktake was also hysterical. I've done a lot of what I think you guys call grunking. After HH2, I read loads here and I just couldn't believe I'd been so blind. I never liked JM's social media presence but the way she operates should have been obvious to me.

My intel is specific in one case, in that I know something is being written, and I also know that others are/have been trying. (I also think that now Katie and Jesse have done their podcast, there will be a load more people who focus on this story than already were.)

I'm sorry to be opaque but I probably shouldn't go into any more detail. I can promise you that unlike the Bootstrap Crook I'm not telling tall tales.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 126
My local baker splits a loaf in 4 for some elderly ladies, which I find the sweetest thing ever.

Reckon Jack'll think that went well, and the old social media's gonna get fired up soon. What was it she was going to post to her website, I can't listen again as my ears won't let me.
I think it was something about not really making an effort when cooking for one, e.g. just having something on toast for dinner. Which Stephen said was absolutely fine, but she begged to differ I believe? Not sure though. TBH, her nasal tone was so distracting I got lost a few times.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
OHHH the podcast has been posted in our WhatsApp 'industry' group chat. I work in Comms, for a government department.... 🔺 Hello fellow frau if you are on here 👋

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 114
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.