Jack Monroe #37 Don't f*** with cats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
omg Hard Candy was FANCY!

It came with a ring round the top of the bottle 😍
I remember really wanting nail polish my cousin had, it was in a bottle shaped like a tiny lightbulb and changed colour if you warmed the bottle in your hand.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
My teenage uniform was vest top or band t-shirt, german army shirt, black mini skirt, thick black tights and german paratrooper boots. For winter, I threw an army parka or leather jacket over the top. Oh and a dog choke chain with a padlock on it as jewellery (one horsespunk lasagne to anyone who gets that reference). Occasionally in summer I'd wear old vintage dresses, but always tights and the massive boots like these:

View attachment 170365

At 16 (for 6th form) I added some culturally questionable dreadlocks, nose and eyebrow piercings (done with a gun in a dodgy inside-market stall). And used to walk around with my bass guitar 80% of the time.

I laugh heartily at my teenage self, in retrospect.

I get the Sid reference.

Mr Dragon still wore one for gigs until he left the band last year. Playing MY bass (well, one of them).

He stopped after he came home one stupid o'clock Sunday, climbed onto the bed to give me a kiss (YES, JUST A KISS) and twatted me in the face with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Sorry, this is totally off-topic but I just wanted to share as an antidote to Monroe's nefarious antics. I am moving house tomorrow so I just called in on my vendors to say hi (my buyers did the same and I appreciated the friendliness). Anyway, they were the nicest people. They've been in the house for 45 years so it's emotional for them but they are really excited about their new place. They're leaving me house plants, a bag of coal and a good luck money tree, plus a Christmas cactus that has been in the house for as long as they have. They gave me the lowdown on all the neighbours and talked me around the back garden. I've got bloody fruit trees, how fancy am I?

When I first viewed the place, my first impression was that it had been really loved, and a place of love; I made an offer on the spot. I told them that, and we all got a bit emotional. Swapped numbers, talked about people we know in common, offered to help each other out in future.

I've been getting so strung out about moving but now I'm excited and so heartened to be on the receiving end of real kindness.

Sorry for the gushing. I'm a bit giddy!
That sounds fantastic, good luck with the move, sounds like you’ve found “your” place ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Off topic - Nigella posted a recipe from someone called The Boy Who Bakes on her IG. Does anyone follow him/have his book? His IG is swoonworthy but I'm not much of a baker...
I got the book. Planning on making something from it this weekend. It looks quite generous and I can't really go anywhere to share leftovers, which has put me off baking bigger amounts...but the book looks great and when birthday parties/meetings become a thing again I'll definitely be using it lots. CBA with a million tins.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I honestly can't believe how depressing she is. Obviously now my ~weird little brain~ has gone down this memory spiral re. when my dad was dying of cancer. Would I have thought 'Oh I know, now's the time to start looking for new lentil-based recipes' - doubtful. I can't imagine it would have cheered any of us up. But I can't be the only one who's, for want of a better word, 'triggered' by this new phase. Please picture my *sad little face*.

Sorry, ETA - it was a long time ago and I'm as fine as you can ever be after the horror of cancer. It's just ... not particularly feel-good in these already hard-as-duck times.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
My mum taught alongside his wifes dad and he drew a picture of a cat for my wee brother when he was about 7 and signed it and my mum found it and got it framed and gave it to my brother about 5 years ago for his Christmas.

My brother likes dr who as well so he was happy with it.
Ah love love love stories like this. The fact he drew a cat makes it even better haha

Reactions: 3
Fraus, Fraus, Fraus,

I only returned to work yesterday, part-time and I’ve been BUSY okay? Haven’t even had time to grab a sandwich, have a piss and here I was, 20 odd pages down.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Jack’s reply to the punctuation comment was to think of @GrunkaLunka ‘s analogy of gaslighting and it’s so true. Every word of it, you can use everytime she replies to a negative tweet as an example.

Dear Hearts, please, go easy. On Monday I return full time and I can’t handle threads to read every night!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
I am LIVING for all this nostalgia :ROFLMAO: Whoever it was that mentioned those grotty German army shirts? Why did we wear those anyway?!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I got the book. Planning on making something from it this weekend. It looks quite generous and I can't really go anywhere to share leftovers, which has put me off baking bigger amounts...but the book looks great and when birthday parties/meetings become a thing again I'll definitely be using it lots. CBA with a million tins.
I have made two recipes from it. The chocolate and caramel sheet cake (I buggered the caramel massively so it was just a chocolate cake) which was nice. And the coffee cake which my husband thought was too dry but has since decided is delicious. Going to make the smores cake from it this weekend. I think I'll get a lot of use out of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I am LIVING for all this nostalgia :ROFLMAO: Whoever it was that mentioned those grotty German army shirts? Why did we wear those anyway?!
In my case it was because they were seven quid from the shop down the hill next to the market and were practically indestructible. And green suited a pasty faced ginge.

Reactions: 12
Hahaha oh god pls no

It's only good if you're expecting it!
Oh yes!!!

I don’t actually live in the so called buckfast triangle but god knows how they missed my town out as they sell it by the truck load here.

My wee gran who was teetotal most of her life used to drink it as a tonic.

Like it’s supposed to be taken.

When my mum told me I was like wtf!!!

Even my gran drank bucky!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I'm watching again the Jamie Oliver lockdown programmes as I want to make some of the dishes. I feel like I know a bit about JO but I don't know the name of his pets, I've never seen a photo of him lounging half naked on his sideboard or heard him publicly shame Jools. I do know though that he makes lovely tv programmes. The way he cooks and talks is effortless. The ingredients are ready prepared or he can prepare them quickly. He's knowledgeable and so enthusiastic and makes food I want to cook and eat. He has a public persona which he has carefully curated and while he does interact with fans on SM, he keeps his personal life separate. He's not everyones cup of tea but Jack needs to look and take note about how it can be done.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.