Jack Monroe #37 Don't f*** with cats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yesterday was our 3rd wedding anniversary. We should have been in Corfu. Didn’t think spending the evening on tattle was conducive to reaching our 4th. Have been at work today but have seen tweets. I knew it would be bad.
Husband “What do you want to watch?”
Me “I’ve got 24 hours of tattle to catch up on”
Husband is now watching something on Netflix about Warrior Nuns and I’m grunka-ing for dear life.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Me.

Fashion was quite odd in the 80s. When I was 14 it was ra ra skirts.

By the time I was 20 I would go out in jeans and a t shirt.

Or a mini skirt or a short black dress. Fashion was either very dressy or very casual.

I also used to have some wide legged trousers. Not like flares but I loved them

However my defining memory was drinking alcohol that’s actually banned now.

We used to drink something called a red witch which was Pernod black currant and cider. There’s no way that would be allowed now.

And pubs also used to sell half and half of lager and cider. It clearly sent people mad so pubs stopped it.

Plus diamond white cider. My pals and I used to drink that. I have no idea why. It was horrible and I hated it. But it was very strong.
I never had a rara skirt and I still long for a puffball skirt. I feel I've missed out on so much.
Also back when pubs just served alcohol and nothing else. I didn't like lager or cider so I never had snakebites, only drank shorts or bitter.

Reactions: 7
Any noughties teens wear this stuff? I used to cake it on in a colour more orange than my face tone and then not blend it properly. It dried my skin out no end which led me to caking it on more and more. A vicious cycle 😂
71HnQQywNKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I came for Hinch, stayed for Jack and now I'm going to have to Grunka Lunk 30 pages to catch up whilst pretending to watch TV with my husband. This counts as a hobby, no?

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I
Sorry, this is totally off-topic but I just wanted to share as an antidote to Monroe's nefarious antics. I am moving house tomorrow so I just called in on my vendors to say hi (my buyers did the same and I appreciated the friendliness). Anyway, they were the nicest people. They've been in the house for 45 years so it's emotional for them but they are really excited about their new place. They're leaving me house plants, a bag of coal and a good luck money tree, plus a Christmas cactus that has been in the house for as long as they have. They gave me the lowdown on all the neighbours and talked me around the back garden. I've got bloody fruit trees, how fancy am I?

When I first viewed the place, my first impression was that it had been really loved, and a place of love; I made an offer on the spot. I told them that, and we all got a bit emotional. Swapped numbers, talked about people we know in common, offered to help each other out in future.

I've been getting so strung out about moving but now I'm excited and so heartened to be on the receiving end of real kindness.

Sorry for the gushing. I'm a bit giddy!
I wish you many happy years in the new house, filled with sideboards and Smeg fridges.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
My teenage uniform was vest top or band t-shirt, german army shirt, black mini skirt, thick black tights and german paratrooper boots. For winter, I threw an army parka or leather jacket over the top. Oh and a dog choke chain with a padlock on it as jewellery (one horsespunk lasagne to anyone who gets that reference). Occasionally in summer I'd wear old vintage dresses, but always tights and the massive boots like these:

s-l1600.jpg

At 16 (for 6th form) I added some culturally questionable dreadlocks, nose and eyebrow piercings (done with a gun in a dodgy inside-market stall). And used to walk around with my bass guitar 80% of the time.

I laugh heartily at my teenage self, in retrospect.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I never had a rara skirt and I still long for a puffball skirt. I feel I've missed out on so much.
Also back when pubs just served alcohol and nothing else. I didn't like lager or cider so I never had snakebites, only drank shorts or bitter.
I had a puffball. But not like a huge puffball style. I really liked it but it was so short.

There was only one disco in my home town. It was a pub downstairs. Free to get into the disco if you went in before 11. Tacky as hell but brilliant all the same.

I think I spent every weekend there for two years.

It also used to sell treble measures. I used to drink JD and ginger ale. I honestly don’t know how I have a liver left.

I actually grew my hair long when I was 18 and it’s been more or less the same ever since.

I loved the 80s, even the crap music was good in its own way.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
All this fabulous retro chat is great but if you don’t mention Jack...she will make it about her again...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I came for Hinch, stayed for Jack and now I'm going to have to Grunka Lunk 30 pages to catch up whilst pretending to watch TV with my husband. This counts as a hobby, no?
Definitely!
I bought my husband a crokinole board (any other board game fans here?) for his 30th as the holiday I had booked for May was cancelled. Only he now expects me to play it with him every night, I did not think this through!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Any noughties teens wear this stuff? I used to cake it on in a colour more orange than my face tone and then not blend it properly. It dried my skin out no end which led me to caking it on more and more. A vicious cycle 😂View attachment 170356
Oh my god! I completely forgot about this, but yes, Def had it. And also have photo of me from that time where my face and neck are completely different colours.
It dried out my skin so badly. But nothing was worse than shiny skin back in the day.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.