Jack Monroe #37 Don't f*** with cats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are you a single mother if you share custody? That literally means you have no children to look after half the time.
I’m in this position and consider myself a single mum, mumming doesn’t stop when they’re away, although I do completely agree I benefit from a lot of alone time and am in awe of those who don’t get any break

Why does she constantly mention the pandemic in this way, does she think it’s escaped someone’s attention?! Ffs
because she’s the ONLY person it affects

Reactions: 18
Honestly imagine if the WiFi in her area went down. I think she would have the mother of all meltdowns. I like being able to be on my phone but I could live without it. It's odd that she is so reliant on them.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I’m struggling to stay in real time and feel bad not being able to dish out enough appreciation likes on all the commentary 😭 If only my days had as many hours in them as Jack’s...

The holiday comments remind me of this when she posted a selfie in hiking gear with “To the Lakes I go” (I promise I just grabbed a few screenshots the other day when trying to locate Harriet and Miliband)
5C0A5EE9-A509-4EF3-A131-739274B58EDE.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
It's the poor little rich girl again.

Childhood holidays - 1 week aged 3 at Camber Sands, 1 week aged 15 in a caravan in the Cotswolds.
Adult holidays - one week in a caravan in Devon in 2001, 2 nights in Paris in 2012. The nearest thing I've had to a holiday in the last eight years is working at festivals for about 4 days a time or teching/crew for Mr Dragon's old band, both of which are bleeping hard, physical work.

Not bad for nearly half a century on the planet, is it? When I actually qualified for paid holiday for the first time (not often, as you know, poor people and their contracts don't allow for it), I temped full time for the week instead.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 30
What a crock of tit this article is: Jack Monroe on not shying away from online abuse
Says she deleted all social media apps. Doesnt say it was for about 45 seconds.
OMFG. on 26 June she was the fittest she's ever been, Madam says, and circa 30 June she's triggering her fans about her poor health. Right, I'm off to read a book. May the odds be ever in your favour.

PS: it's my reckoning the kitten is going to be okay, and that Madam will get it right for once, I'm almost sure. Here's my feline companions!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 37
What a crock of tit this article is: Jack Monroe on not shying away from online abuse
Says she deleted all social media apps. Doesnt say it was for about 45 seconds.
“In the first period of lockdown, I lost the equivalent of a year’s salary in the space of two days,” Jack explains.

Does she also have Monroe maths method? This doesn't make sense to me? She lost an entire year's salary that would have been booked up at festivals or whatever over the next 8 months but what about the salary she'd already accrued previously in the year? Did that not count towards it? And then what about the book etc. she knew was coming out and the relative sales?

I'm not great with maths so I don't know if I'm being thick but this makes no sense to me?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
I still wear body shop perfume. And the body sprays you get in Aldi just now are very close copies of impulse ones.

Rimmel twighlight teaser was the in lipstick when I was around 14. Everyone was wearing it.
(Showing my age now).
I never identified as anything particularly when I was growing up. I wasn’t a goth and my style of make up wasn’t modelled on anyone in particular but I have to say that I do like black eye shadow and black nail varnish.

My eyeshadow colour of choice hasn’t really changed in decades either. Very much like lilac and purples

(Kind of obsessed with the colour purple. My bedroom is purple and my hall is lilac).

Yellow is the opppsite colour to purple on a colour chart and I’ve never liked the colour yellow.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
When she went to Las Vegas for a week and went to the Celine Dion concert? That wasn't a holiday, it was a field research trip to evaluate chickpea availability in the foyer.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiit’s Jack Monroe hour of ‘It’s all about ME ME ME’, where she will write a ludicrously selfish and short-sightedly ignorant post about how nothing and no-one matters but HER.

Suggest a remedy, offer advice, give reasoned answers to her predicament. But, I warn you! Do so At Your Peril!
She will answer you if You are the bleeping head, not her!

And away we go!

• Haha
Reactions: 25
It's a very [sticks tin hat on] middle class, hard-done by, poor little rich girl thing.

And she reminds me of the children of quite a few professional foster parents who felt they were hard done by because they had to share their parents/home/toys with other children who had desperate need, even though a lot of the extra nice lifestyle was available as a direct result of the Fostering Allowances. I'm sure some of them were sick of getting attached to kids only to have them disappear, to have ones where severe problems had been brushed under the carpet by SS only for them to come out in the home environment or for genuine needs of their own to be dismissed as they had 'everything' and 'nothing to complain about' but out of all the kids I knew, only one was chilled out and happy.

As a kid with duck all and abuse to deal with and then a tit early adulthood, I lean more to the 'I'm not a pov, I deserve better than this' mentality going on here. Because the raging suggests that she had no idea that this could happen to her and it was brutal and traumatising. Well yeah, no tit. But it's no different to how it's always been since politicians went back to the Victorian Poor Laws mentality - of poverty being a moral failing rather than tit Happens and you try to help people where you can because you're not an hole.

I had to write a foreword to a school production of Oliver Twist once. I managed to get parallels drawn between the historical and sociological context of the book and the contemporaneous Tory rhetoric past the Head, the Deputy Heads, the Governors and the pompous little twit who was the local MP at the time. All in the guise of 'setting the scene' for the show. The only person who noticed was the Drama teacher, who came from a similar background to me. Of course, the entire premise of Oliver Twist is that the kid deserved better than he had, so that's problematic in itself even without the anti-Semitism, the need for all women who had unmarried sex to die and that the other children without similar lineage to never get out of their lane, but Dickens wouldn't have been able to get a non-MC kid's story past the audience. I was still pleased with myself, especially when I saw parents smirking when they read the foreword from my spot in the band. It's amazing what you can do with nicely written, carefully formatted words.
Dragon, I would love to sit and enjoy a flagon with you and just listen to you talk ❤

Reactions: 20
OMG THE NOSTALGIA IN THIS THREAD. I'm gonna do a nineties girl checklist...

1. Collection 2000 royal blue mascara
  2. The ill-advised venture into putting the hair version of the above through your locks, rendering them crispy and a bit like a paint palette where all the colours are mixed together
  3. Rubbing Claire's Accessories glittery lipstick over your eyes as eyeshadow, scraping the poor delicate mites into ribbons as you do so (just me?)
  4. MAKE A STATEMENT WITHOUT SAYING A WORD (I legit ordered some Exclamation! from Allbeauty a few weeks ago. Actually pretty sophisticated!)
  5. Small (often transparent) rucksacks that you could display your Natural Collection body spritzes in
  6. Can I get an 'AMEN' for hiding your boobs in a Sweater Shop...er, sweater
  7. Moving into the millennium with two tone garms
  8. Wanting a pair of Buffalo trainers but my parents wouldn't let me so floral wedges from Faith it was!
  9. Rocking gloopy lipgloss you got free from Just 17 (or the pineapple roll-on stuff from Miss Selfridge if you were fancy)
  10. Bindis 😐
  11. Spectacular nail polish (see also: Miners)
  12. Sperm eyebrows (went at mine with my Dad's Mach 3; God knows how I've got anything left)
  13. The year 11 girls wearing Rimmel 'Hide the Blemish' as lipstick
  14. Dream Matte Mousse for that really undead look
There's gotta be more..
Adding Naf Naf jumpers to the list and Benetton drawstring bags, oh and if you were a girl of between the age of 11 and 14 at my high school and didn't own a pair of Kickers boat shoes you were basically a social pariah.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.