Jack Monroe #366 The campaigner Jack Monroe was particularly unwise to pursue this course of action

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think that’s a fair response from the BBC. You’re never likely to get a less diplomatic response than that, wouldn’t expect there to be

Reactions: 10
Hello Canal!
I am a VERY long time lurker who has finally taken the plunge and signed up - mainly so I can share with you this little gem that I've just found on the Daily Mail website... Clearly unrinsed, but, new recipe ideas...?

Sorry.

Can I also add how brilliantly hilarious you are on here - I have snorted tea through my nose (nothing else, cheeky!) on many an occasion whilst grunking, and had to explain it away to Mr. T. as, 'I've just read a funny tweet...' as he hates Tattle and loves Jack Monroe.

Keep up the Stirling work my lovelies! As you were.

1660829381859.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 126
The thing is, there isn’t ultimately any one thing - no pedestal - from which JM can tumble. It’s not like despite the suspicion of dishonesty she’s risen to the very top of her career, and a big reveal would get her rightfully removed. She’s just kind of placed herself into a cultural niche, and cleverly done so in a way that leaves her kind of untouchable. So blogs and tweet threads etc can only succeed to the extent that those who are open to changing their minds may well do so if they see enough evidence. There’ll be no sacking from a regular slot, no show not being renewed, no column being cancelled. It’ll just be a barely perceptible drying up of media opportunities as the right people see it. And if the patreon and PayPal ends up still being donated to by idiots who consider themselves fans despite all the evidence, that’s up to them

I like the way it says Jack is a 'poverty campaigner' rather than 'anti-poverty campaigner' really makes you think...
as Christopher Hitchens said of Mother Theresa; “she loves poverty, not the poor”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
Is it normal for children to have double beds these days? No shade as times move on kids are glam now, I’m just a Victorian relic who had my first double bed at 22 😳 and I wouldn’t have deemed myself a POOR from the age of 18+ as I was working full time in holidays whilst maxing out all the low income family student loans/grants!
I’ve only got this far, so may have been commented on, but she’s constantly moving and shifting things around. I guess he’s had the ‘bubble buddy’ bed and room?

Reactions: 13
I’d also love to know this. Fraud? Embezzlement? I’m hoping for a civil suit from a Patron, there’s a lower standard of proof as far as I can see, it’d throw open a lot of info and it wouldn’t get In the way of any more official action.
I’m hoping for one from the charity commission or the ICO

Reactions: 20
Hello Canal!
I am a VERY long time lurker who has finally taken the plunge and signed up - mainly so I can share with you this little gem that I've just found on the Daily Mail website... Clearly unrinsed, but, new recipe ideas...?

Sorry.

Can I also add how brilliantly hilarious you are on here - I have snorted tea through my nose (nothing else, cheeky!) on many an occasion whilst grunking, and had to explain it away to Mr. T. as, 'I've just read a funny tweet...' as he hates Tattle and loves Jack Monroe.

View attachment 1508725
Christ..

ETA.. I'm not 'Christing' you, Triangulation Station!

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Apologies, when you said the account 'isn't going to do squat all', I thought you meant it hadn't full stop. I still think it's good to have a voice out there keeping the commentary going, people have short memories and I worry that some of the concerns about JM will fade away if people aren't reminded that she's a wrong'un. 😕
To be fair to the AM threads, I've spoken to friends about JM's suspect behaviour in the past and they've pooh-poohed it as gossip and nonsense. They also wouldn't come and look here as Tattle is painted as (rightly or wrongly depending on who you speak to and which threads you submerge yourself in) a nasty troll site. The AM thread is another avenue, and quite possibly, regarded as a more reputable platform. I really don't want to talk Tattle down but I know from experience that some people will flat-out refuse to even look over here. I think the AM profile needs to keep up the calm, factual drip-feeding aswell as the potential in-depth written piece. I'd imagine it's very difficult to find a balance between looking like a *hater* and sharing discrepancies because of genuine concerns.

The only real problem I see with the recent Twitter activity is the number of new accounts that have been created purely to comment on or about JM. THEY pose more of a distraction and are easily labelled as trolls, in my opinion.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

• Heart
Reactions: 77
Of course the Molly account will have an impact as it does more. It might not always be at the forefront. But having an account on Twitter that is careful to avoid personal insults, avoiding anger or ranting, but puts everything out there, within Twitter, for twitter people to read, is a very good thing. People are generally lazy - someone curious about whether Jack is actually dishonest might not be bothered to click through to here and make the effort to catch up. Without a central Twitter account keeping and showing receipts, it’s easy to frame the attackers as trolls. But if the Molly account itself becomes a rabbit hole, that will have an impact.
It seems likely that there’s already an impact, and that while there’s no front page scandal based on a smoking gun, a few years ago she was everywhere, now she really doesn’t seem to be. And the flying monkeys can give the impression that she’s very popular, but the knock on impact is that a lot of floating voters are almost certainly quietly distancing themselves.
The tide is definitely changing. The social media engagement is falling through the floor. Guardian seem to have gone off her. Alienated the whole celeb chef community. Only getting scraps of TV work. She's burnt more bridges than the Germans rolling up on St Petersburg in 1942.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 55
I think people are getting too excited about Molly’s blog and expecting some ‘Jack was on the grassy knoll’ type revelation, when she’s prob just going to condense everything from places like here.
I think posters here forget how truly shocking most people will find Mollys posts.
The threads have, using her own words, shown Monroe to be a liar. Even the most devoted of her fans no longer deny it.
The blog appears to be moving one step further. It seems to be pulling everything together and pointing out troubling inconsistencies and a very real lack of transparency. Putting it all in one place will be a hugely, hugely powerful thing.
Tattle has always been the smoking gun and Monroe has always known that but everything here is scattered and punctuated with long discussions about Walruses. There’s too much white noise. Molly is distilling everything into a coherent narrative.
We are the grassy knoll

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 83
Six months is ridiculous. When our landlord sold up, we moved within six weeks, which included the possessions of two adults and two kids.

It’s crazy when she talks about ‘not having that much stuff’ and yet she unpacked 60 boxes for her studio/dining room? Our living room was about 12 big boxes worth and that included loads of vinyl records and toys. I would love to see what the crappy bungalow looks like when it’s not been cleaned and the crap piled in the corner for photos.
When the landlord tried to hike the rent of the body shops head office they upped and moved in 6 weeks, and that included actually finding somewhere and getting the infrastructure set up.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Hello Canal!

Sorry.

View attachment 1508725
I am actually dreading Jack discovering aspics. I think I'd have to have a sabbatical from the canal as I have a slight phobia of jelly.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
I think people are getting too excited about Molly’s blog and expecting some ‘Jack was on the grassy knoll’ type revelation, when she’s prob just going to condense everything from places like here.
What with the miasma of absolute shite she comes out with on a daily basis, Jack’s less grassy knoll, more gassy hole if you ask me.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 38
I think posters here forget how truly shocking most people will find Mollys posts.
The threads have, using her own words, shown Monroe to be a liar. Even the most devoted of her fans no longer deny it.
The blog appears to be moving one step further. It seems to be pulling everything together and pointing out troubling inconsistencies and a very real lack of transparency. Putting it all in one place will be a hugely, hugely powerful thing.
Tattle has always been the smoking gun and Monroe has always known that but everything here is scattered and punctuated with long discussions about Walruses. There’s too much white noise. Molly is distilling everything into a coherent narrative.
We are the grassy knoll.
completely agree. I don’t mean to be mean about this place, but despite the wealth of evidence here, I wouldn’t even point my wife or a close friend to this forum to convince them, because I know that while I’ve got patience and an enjoyment of an occasional rabbit hole dive, and am forum savvy enough to be able to seperate in-jokes and rants etc from the substance, many people would look at the sheer amount of posts here and instantly make a snap judgment “it’s a group of obsessives focusing on one person, not for me, thanks”. But a good blog post without any baggage- that’s something that really cuts through.

Reactions: 58
To be fair to the AM threads, I've spoken to friends about JM's suspect behaviour in the past and they've pooh-poohed it as gossip and nonsense. They also wouldn't come and look here as Tattle is painted as (rightly or wrongly depending on who you speak to and which threads you submerge yourself in) a nasty troll site. The AM thread is another avenue, and quite possibly, regarded as a more reputable platform. I really don't want to talk Tattle down but I know from experience that some people will flat-out refuse to even look over here. I think the AM profile needs to keep up the calm, factual drip-feeding aswell as the potential in-depth written piece. I'd imagine it's very difficult to find a balance between looking like a *hater* and sharing discrepancies because of genuine concerns.

The only real problem I see with the recent Twitter activity is the number of new accounts that have been created purely to comment on or about JM. THEY pose more of a distraction and are easily labelled as trolls, in my opinion.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
The new accounts are spreading the message. They drive up engagement and help keep up the momentum. Plus TBH, I like reading them

Reactions: 24
I really don't want to talk Tattle down but I know from experience that some people will flat-out refuse to even look over here.
Who are these boring, uptight saddos? What do they think would happen if they looked? Would their teeth suddenly crumble?

Joking, of course. I guess some threads are awful (although I’ve never really seen it) but Tattle is so much more than that.

Guarantee the people who refuse to look here don’t have the same qualms about the DM sidebar…

(I know you know this, @Feck, I’m not directing this at you ❤)

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.