Jack Monroe #353 Jack Monroe campaigns for Jack Monroe not to be in poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, newbie here! You have had me hooting and fizzing as I've watched this blow up over the last few days. (Got kicked out of the bedroom "until I calmed down" for chuckling to myself too much last night! )

TD's glorious subtweeting had put me onto the grift a while back, but it's AM's thread that brought me to Tattle – and the wiki was quite the eye opener! I was fairly active on food twitter around the time JM rose to prominence, but now I get the impression a lot of food writers don't see her pushing for cheap food as much of a solution: someone down the chain will be getting poverty wages to milk the cows or funnel the sloppo into the tin, so her *activism*, much like her income, doesn't really add up. The VBI is surely just a list of "cheap food is still cheaper than expensive food, but not as cheap as it used to be, when I was a poor."

I can believe she's pretty skint now though if she's potentially just had to settle three years of unpaid taxes to wind up her Ltd, plus no doubt NI for Caroline with at least one hand (which could have buggered up her tax code in her next job), plus interest. Can't imagine her personal taxes were up to date either by that logic (and that 550k mortgage figure implies she earning six figures given 4.5x income in the absolute max banks will lend). I do hope Molly's next thread covers this side of things.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 107
Has any heard this. It’s a talk Jack gave and she sings to the poor fuckers. It’s completely bizarre. singing starts at about 37 mins. I didn’t listen to any of the rest tbh
“Im gay by the way, sorry.”
“If I hadn’t said it im sure you would have worked it out” how, Jack? Please tell us how you’re projecting your own prejudices about how people look, onto a room of bible botherers and assuming they all think the same.
VBI timeline

Day 1. It's going to take the weekend to pull together.
View attachment 1473730

The aim is to update it monthly.
View attachment 1473731

IRL friend goes into the working group.
View attachment 1473733

Day 2. Still putting the working group together.
View attachment 1473734

The Jacob Rowntree Foundation is involved.
View attachment 1473735

Day 4. EVERYONE IS PULLING TOGETHER.
View attachment 1473738

Day 5. Graphs and stuff.
View attachment 1473740

Day 7. It's been 10 days (!). VBI hopefully ready mid-Feb. duck, yeah!
View attachment 1473741

Day 8. Taking prices from across the UK.
View attachment 1473742

Day 11. Time to knuckle down.
View attachment 1473744

Day 48. March now. Just one person working on the VBI
View attachment 1473745

Day 118 lol. Still working on the VBI.
View attachment 1473746

So much paperwork!
View attachment 1473747

Day 119. Shut up, Charlotte.
View attachment 1473749

Day 130 ffs. Nearly done! Touring shortly.
View attachment 1473750

Day 195. Incoming.
View attachment 1473754
Amazing work!
dare I ask, although I accept you’re one frau with a biro, between day 01 and day 195 how many tweets has she posted? (which would suggest Tweeting is what she prioritises over important work)

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Has any heard this. It’s a talk Jack gave and she sings to the poor fuckers. It’s completely bizarre. singing starts at about 37 mins. I didn’t listen to any of the rest tbh

Damn you for posting that, tender one, as I had to go and listen. It was:- Pitchy. Shrill. No voice control. Bizarre warbley quaverings.

Terrible.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Has Jack received any responses to her twelve (12) job applications, painstakingly typed on a Nokia (Nokia) phone?

• Haha
Reactions: 46
There is an user on the MN thread defending JM to the hilt. One of things they mention about freelancing is never knowing how long projects take yadda yadda. Who does it sound like......

I'm a freelancer doing work not totally dissimilar to Jack Monroe (but not food-related). I've never worked on a project that didn't have a deadline, agreed fee and clarity on when you'd get paid (i.e. Terms and Conditions).

Do I sometimes have to chase payments? Yes, absolutely. Are projects sometimes delayed? Sure, that can happen and it's annoying. But you also get paid £5,000 or £10,000 in one go (I suspect with her brand collabs, she gets the odd one-off payment that's higher). Most successful freelancers appreciate that that's not their monthly salary, but this money has to be spread out over the next X number of months, before the next invoice is due and a percentage has to be set aside for tax. That's why starting out can be really hard, but once you are set up, with a large public platform and a relatively high profile, lots of contacts and brand collaborations, life should be easily manageable. If it's not, there's a problem and you either can't make it work and should look for employment or, perhaps, you aren't the one to give budgeting advice to others, ya prune!

• Heart
Reactions: 82
Oh my god what a ride!! Finally up to date for the first time in days.

I don't understand why she's never updated her patreon or been more open about it being a passive income stream. At least then people can subscribe and know what they're getting into. And to actively promote it (or allow other people to) and not stop them or mention that the rewards aren't happening is abhorrent.

Comedian Sofie Hagen (who I do have many issues with, the threads here are interesting) set up a patreon during lockdown. She was really clear it was to provide some additional extra income. Everyone would get the same rewards, and she's clear that due to various reasons there might be times when she's not posting content. Not exactly the sort of thing I'd be willing to fork out for, but those that do know exactly what the deal is and are presumably happy to support it? And in fairness it does look like she posts regularly and does random lives with her fans etc. I feel like there'd be less scrutiny coming Jack's way if she'd taken this approach with it from the off...

Reactions: 45
Ninnies, I have a deadline today. I got pretty much no work done this week. I haven't slept. My kids have been neglected. My OH hasn't seen my face without a phone in front of it. This chaos has turned me into Jack Monroe.

Please, screenshot everything for a Frau who will need to take a break to keep her own life on track. Otherwise I'll have to set up a Patreon to pay my mortgage (fancy).

Go well, pals.

And Molly, you are still my hero, babes.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 85
Yeah, a comedian I will be seeing this year has a ko-fi and it tracks how many she has recevied. I'm fine with that transparency. Jack just loves rattling the paypal tin and hide her Patreon income, while shouting that she has 100 hour weeks. (This was in response to the Sophie Hagen post)

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I saw the words 'Vidal Baboon' on another thread and laughed.
Vidal Baboon Index, it's about how styling primates costs more now than when Wagon Wheels were bigger.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
I’m soooo bored of the narrative that anyone who is calling her out is a Tory/terf. No one takes an issue with the fact she earns money, it’s the fact that she earns money WHILST continuing the most manipulative emotional blackmail campaign I’ve ever seen and allows people in a much more precarious situation as herself to donate their money to her. Her argument that she doesn’t owe us anything and therefore shouldn’t have to prove her patreon earnings is such BS - the average person doesn’t have to reveal their salary, but the average person also doesn’t get people (daily it seems) offering them big chunks of money via PayPal whilst simultaneously claiming poverty so bad that she has sold her lightbulbs! I’ve lurked here for a long time, and used to be a big fan of what she stood for, but the lack of critical thinking from her fans is genuinely concerning at this point. I’m sure this post will get lost amongst all the others but I just wanted to have it on record that I think that jack co-opting of the struggles of both the trans and the autistic community as a way of deflection is incredibly stigmatising and insulting 🥴
Yes! You put it much better than I did. My only defence is that a bloody fox woke me up yet again at 2:30am and I couldn’t get back to sleep. Bloody London foxes 🖕🏼

Reactions: 24
between day 01 and day 195 how many tweets has she posted?
I can't give you that figure exactly.

January 1109 tweets
Feb 802 tweets
March 1036 tweets
April 1879 tweets
May 1667 tweets
June 1270 tweets
July 943 tweets

Plus deleted tweets.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 66
Oh my god what a ride!! Finally up to date for the first time in days.

I don't understand why she's never updated her patreon or been more open about it being a passive income stream. At least then people can subscribe and know what they're getting into. And to actively promote it (or allow other people to) and not stop them or mention that the rewards aren't happening is abhorrent.

Comedian Sofie Hagen (who I do have many issues with, the threads here are interesting) set up a patreon during lockdown. She was really clear it was to provide some additional extra income. Everyone would get the same rewards, and she's clear that due to various reasons there might be times when she's not posting content. Not exactly the sort of thing I'd be willing to fork out for, but those that do know exactly what the deal is and are presumably happy to support it? And in fairness it does look like she posts regularly and does random lives with her fans etc. I feel like there'd be less scrutiny coming Jack's way if she'd taken this approach with it from the off...
OT…Thanks for the Sofie Hagan thread. Heading over there now. Similar spidey sense to Jack then realise that it’s not just me

Reactions: 23
If it wasn’t for me having the week off work with faux measles then there’s no way on earth I’d have been able to keep up. Big love to all the receipt snappers and the wit and wisdom of the canal, during my many posting breaks I’ve missed all this. What a community ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.