Jack Monroe #353 Jack Monroe campaigns for Jack Monroe not to be in poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
, I simply cannot fathom why she did not suck up her pride and ask her parents for help. There is no way on this earth that I would take my son’s toys and sell them or see him hungry just because I didn’t want people to think I was a failure. Unless I really didn’t have anyone but Jack has parents who clearly love her and they weren’t estranged as far as I know. They didn’t kick her out and tell her she was dead to them. She wasn’t
abused by them so feared for her son
You just wouldn’t put your own feelings ahead of your small child. Why is her forcing SB to go through poverty with her seen as this huge underdog story instead of really bleeping selfish and an awful way to treat a child?
When everyone asked her about this at the time she said she did ask them and there was simply no money left in the pot. There were obvious tensions and maybe slight estrangement for a while, when her mum used to comment on anything on Facebook it seemed more that they had bailed her out before and were trying to make her stand on her own two feet. She used to get quite aggressive with her mum/delete her comments and that was when that women I referred to used to question everything. She did actually sell pretty much everything at that house sale but it was weird because actually she needed to only sell an accumulation of crap she had hoarded acquired from previous relationships/homes/moves such as the piano, guitars, a shed load of photography gear, records, some of the second hand furniture that one minute she loved and the next loathed..I really didn't see the need to sell EVERYTHING and suspect it was an exaggeration.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
I HAVE REACHED THE END!

even with a sleep last night I am ~*^*~exhausted~*^*~

I love the Violet Beauregard Idiocy screenshot timeline. From a collaborative effort with people from MSE, The Grocer, ONS to little ol’Jack on her lonesome scribbling down lists of pies and meats in a matter of 10 days.

Almost as if all those amazing people at MSE, The Grocer and the ONS spoke to her (collaboration, see?) said “lol. No. That’s bleeping stupid. You need a massive longitudinal study, well specified and underpinned by robust data sources. Receipts saying “cheese £1” doesn’t work.” and fucked off.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
My own ideas on the Awfully Molly name is that back in Ye Olden Days 'Molly' was a slang term for a gay man ,there were Molly Houses which were gay brothels so Awfully Molly may mean if you rbtl Awfully Gay ...anyway pure conjecture M'lud ...keep up the good work

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
I'm a freelancer doing work not totally dissimilar to Jack Monroe (but not food-related). I've never worked on a project that didn't have a deadline, agreed fee and clarity on when you'd get paid (i.e. Terms and Conditions).
Agreed. Also, the whole 'you never know how long something takes is BS. When you think it will take much (much) longer, you normally flag it with your client and manage expectations, or renegotiate. The MN Jack defender has either no idea, or she is Jack. It reads like a student who takes on a way too big project, not a professional in any kind of field that knows about deliverring a freelance piece of work. Also tae duck with 'completely unforseeable delays' and that they always come up. Most projects will do a risk assessment in advance, clarifying the aproach to delays and bumps in the road.

Bascially Jack is showing that you can't just make a serious project out of some haphazzard ideas spouted on twitter, no mattter how much she likes to be seen as an autistic maverick pixie that can perform magic. A lot of work actually takes work and a lot of boring work too (which is why we get paid for work, and don't do it as a hobby). Jack apporach to a lot of work is writing things on post-its and then putting a picture of them online, or dressing up with pens in your breast pocket.

And it's not just her apporach to VBI, she often brags about not testing her recipes. Which is ridicuously unprofessional. She is a petulant teenager with grandiose ideas that fizzle out as soon as it involves more work than tweeting about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I’m amongst all this chaos did Jack not tweet that she was behind with all the patreon rewards but she’d catch up….as she always does

or did I dream that??
She did. Jack said SB was going to help with her Patreon (in between managing her Twitter account). All of those tweets were deleted.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
VBI timeline

Day 1. It's going to take the weekend to pull together.
View attachment 1473730

The aim is to update it monthly.
View attachment 1473731

IRL friend goes into the working group.
View attachment 1473733

Day 2. Still putting the working group together.
View attachment 1473734

The Jacob Rowntree Foundation is involved.
View attachment 1473735

Day 4. EVERYONE IS PULLING TOGETHER.
View attachment 1473738

Day 5. Graphs and stuff.
View attachment 1473740

Day 7. It's been 10 days (!). VBI hopefully ready mid-Feb. duck, yeah!
View attachment 1473741

Day 8. Taking prices from across the UK.
View attachment 1473742

Day 11. Time to knuckle down.
View attachment 1473744

Day 48. March now. Just one person working on the VBI
View attachment 1473745

Day 118 lol. Still working on the VBI.
View attachment 1473746

So much paperwork!
View attachment 1473747

Day 119. Shut up, Charlotte.
View attachment 1473749

Day 130 ffs. Nearly done! Touring shortly.
View attachment 1473750

Day 195. Incoming.
View attachment 1473754
Oh Bravo! 👏👏👏 That was all highly entertaining, especially your comments! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 32
And in the other telling of the suicide attempt hadn't she packed SB off to his dad's?
I think that was the suicide attempt which happened the day before she published Hunger Hurts (The Original). Isn't it interesting that she reaches rock bottom so often, only to turn it around the very next day?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 44
Welcome new members it is great to see you here.

I found the 'Dramatis Personae of the Monroeverse' section of the wiki really useful when I began to read here on a regular basis. I kept it open in another tab to refer to. It explains our special Tattle language.

I'd read the entire wiki xx.

Make a cup of coffee, and cut a slice of cake (preferably not one of Jack's recipes unless you have a colonoscopy booked and need extra help to shift a few bricks) before getting stuck in. It is l o n g but it serves as a kind of initiation ceremony if you like. BUT we are always here to help clarify things because we don't bite and are very supportive of each other, unlike every other internet site in the Entire Internet, the World, the Universe.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 76
Pumbleing heck is this the VBI?

View attachment 1473881
Excellent forensic record keeping Marm. (Credit for photo)

It is best for her to never mention this again, if she tries to publish a sad little spreadsheet or photograph some pages with the weight of cheap meat in tins I will die of embarrassment for her.

Jack, I mither a lot. I have written silly poems inspired by your nonsense and imagainary phone calls between Old Harold and his wife, but I have enough goodwill towards you to say: DO NOT PUBLISH THE VBI.
All the Jack Monroe greatest hits are in there: mayo, peach slices in syrup and corned beef. There is also what looks like a Freybentos Sock Pie, is this what happens to all the socks when they die?
Edit: Sorry deleted first attempt by mistake

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Do we have a receipt for Jack claiming to be on a rolling contract? I can see references and I think I remember the tweet, but I think it's been deleted

Reactions: 25
She is really not fighting the good fight is she? Even as her socks thr actual clap backs are half-assed.

Also i have confession, i am jealous of her, wish i could spend all day in bed and no one woumd come in wanting feeding or attention or anything. I can barely go for a piss and a sandwicn in peace

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
As much as I would like for this to be the ✨FINALLY✨ I really don’t think it will be. For some reason Jack just seems to cruise through controversy.
I was just thinking about how this has been going on for ten long years, and in that time, from the outset, she has received the exact same critiques but has a. completely refused to reflect on them and b. has managed to suppress them in the same way - by making out that her critics are nefarious (right wing) bullies and trolls who WANT HER DEAD. Like, for example, I've seen various people say she just got a tattoo a month or so ago and is now pleading poverty. Remember when she first came out and she was very defensive about when she got her tattoos etc. But it's very possible - nay, likely -that the people calling it out then were looking at the same situation we're seeing now, with the contradictions (tattoos, pets, fancy flats with views of the sea on minute, begging for money the next). IYSWIM.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I think I need a reminder of what her Violently Bilious Info is going to ~*do*~exactly. I know the Sam Vimes/boots principal, that’s fine.

Is she proving that a tin of stewing steak (pre-rinse) is cheaper than getting stewing steak and all ingredients and making it yourself, oh and the tinned stuff is less nutritious? Because that would be the equivalent of the Vimes/boots thing, yes?

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I'm a freelancer doing work not totally dissimilar to Jack Monroe (but not food-related). I've never worked on a project that didn't have a deadline, agreed fee and clarity on when you'd get paid (i.e. Terms and Conditions).

Do I sometimes have to chase payments? Yes, absolutely. Are projects sometimes delayed? Sure, that can happen and it's annoying. But you also get paid £5,000 or £10,000 in one go (I suspect with her brand collabs, she gets the odd one-off payment that's higher). Most successful freelancers appreciate that that's not their monthly salary, but this money has to be spread out over the next X number of months, before the next invoice is due and a percentage has to be set aside for tax. That's why starting out can be really hard, but once you are set up, with a large public platform and a relatively high profile, lots of contacts and brand collaborations, life should be easily manageable. If it's not, there's a problem and you either can't make it work and should look for employment or, perhaps, you aren't the one to give budgeting advice to others, ya prune!
Absolutely this TP. There will always be a rough deadline.

If Jack doesn't think that then she's not engaging with the time/schedule of others on any of the projects she's on. She talks a lot like the hole I worked with a few months back. 'These things take time/we can send them something rougher can't we/there's no point doing it yet etc' and its the reason the project took an additional week and a half. I've never had a project run over that much, ever. It definitely smacks of a complete lack of concern and awareness.

If Jack isn't shifting her money into various pots as soon as she gets a chunky pay day (like literally every other freelancer I know) then that's on her. I manage my money very carefully specifically because it is infrequent. She's a great example of what not to do as a freelancer and clearly isn't cut out for it at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
She is really not fighting the good fight is she? Even as her socks thr actual clap backs are half-assed.

Also i have confession, i am jealous of her, wish i could spend all day in bed and no one woumd come in wanting feeding or attention or anything. I can barely go for a piss and a sandwicn in piece.
thats what I thought about her ‘in bed all day’ tweet. Doesn’t a puppy need attention??
(No point saying about SB as he’s not there obv)

• Heart
Reactions: 34
There is an user on the MN thread defending JM to the hilt. One of things they mention about freelancing is never knowing how long projects take yadda yadda. Who does it sound like......

I believe imho that that person is Jack in a sock. I believe that because of the writing style and also because that poster is incredibly patronising to other women on the thread. Poster claimed it was impossible to be a writer and have a day job. When a number of people responding that they were writers and had day jobs, the sock responding that that meant they couldnt be real writers, just "hobby writers". V much had 'not like other girls' energy

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 60
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.