Jack Monroe #343 A heavy dose of chickpea and loathing

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you fail your GCSEs you can still go to college. Some students do much better there. I’m sure I remember some people doing GCSEs alongside A Levels.
There are other paths to doing degrees etc as well and other qualifications . Or is this another backhanded complaint about her parents not letting her stay on.
She could enrol today to get more GCSE's if she wanted, she could have done resits in college a year after 'failing' hers. She chose not to. She's too lazy.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
There's absolutely zero stopping her doing a degree (or any other qualification) right now. #NoWrongPath and all that.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Is it also that she doesn’t count her non A-C grades as GCSEs? I went through a tit time age 15-16 and got pretty awful GCSEs. I’ve definitely been told before that I only have 3 GCSEs and all my D-Fs don’t count 😅
That's where the 4.5 comes from, she sat seven exams, probably the basic core subjects (English, maths etc) but only passed 4 and and a half of them.

Reactions: 15
I see peace and love and being at one with the world lasted as long as she was asleep. I was nearly feeling sorry for her last night! The 10 meetings a week and constantly seeking attention of any kind on Twitter show that she is desperate to belong to something. At the moment that appears to be AA.
It must be an exhausting 120 hours a week job to keep hurling insults at every person on Twitter who dares to have a different opinion. 😩

Reactions: 30
If you fail your GCSEs you can still go to college. Some students do much better there. I’m sure I remember some people doing GCSEs alongside A Levels.
There are other paths to doing degrees etc as well and other qualifications . Or is this another backhanded complaint about her parents not letting her stay on.
Yep, I did this and I’m the same age as Jack. They let me do A levels in English and Film/Media as I passed my English GCSEs and I had to resit maths GCSE. Most places you could study A levels you can also resit the core GCSE subjects. In theory just getting crap GCSEs shouldn’t have been a barrier to her going to college.

If she had such a chip on her shoulder about her crap results, over 19s can resit English and maths GCSEs for free (yes free!) providing they got less than a C grade originally. She could do that and remove one of her many chips on her shoulder instead of tweeting nonsense from her garden… but yeah…. That would just be sensible…

Reactions: 32
Just ordered this! Thanks for all you do, HuvvyT 😘
Send cashos, I work 500 hour weeks on top of literally holding up the world like Atlas. I'm exhausted, let me breath, burp and fart in peace.

PayPal, patreon and tip jars are available. Alternatively you can arrange a bank transfer with a minimum of 10k (because I'm worth it).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
That's where the 4.5 comes from, she sat seven exams, probably the basic core subjects (English, maths etc) but only passed 4 and and a half of them.
Yeah exactly, I don’t think she actually only sat 4.5. Probably sat the whole requirement, just didn’t get the results.

Reactions: 18
For those who think the dog isn't hers due to timing of photos - she has had the dog a month, and posted photos/videos on the following days:

21/6 (Tue)
22/6 (Wed)
23/6 (Thu)
30/6 (Thu)
3/7 (Sun)
5/7 (Tue)
14/7 (Thu)
17/7 (Sun)
21/7 (Thu)

There has been a grand total of ONE video involving both SB and the dog, the ball-throwing on the very first day. There have been no photos of the two together.

In the "Jack bought a dog" column, we have:

* Jack's longterm habit of irresponsibility in acquiring pets at inappropriate times (eg two kittens mid-Poverty, the disabled kitten while in the throes of a post-LJC breakdown)
* Jack's longterm habit of ignoring pets once they are part of her household
* Jack's track record of acquiring pets that are purely Jack's, and have little/nothing to do with SB (most notably the disabled kitten)
* photo of a very young puppy on public transport, indicative of a) incredible irresponsibility and b) lack of car - Jack fits both criteria
* dog's stupid name, unlikely to have been chosen by a child or indeed anyone normal
* Spaniel Friend, who knows Jack IRL, leaving comments that indicate Jack is the dog's owner
* Jack constantly sharing dog tag phone number on Twitter. If the phone number belonged to another person, they would be furious
* SB's father is known to breed cats, suggesting that it's less likely he would buy a large puppy

To add, for anyone who believes Jack bought the dog for SB, remember Jack's renowned selfishness - does anyone honestly think a woman who gives her son a pre-nibbled biscuit as a treat would buy him a puppy?

As far as I can see, any belief that the dog doesn't belong to Jack is purely wishful thinking with nothing to back it up. This is a woman who left her rabbit in a shed and locked an extremely sick kitten in the bathroom at night, do people honestly think she'd hesitate before shutting the dog in a confined space and heading out to get her hair braided?
Really informative post, thank you for putting it together. It makes sense once you see the dates altogether. I honestly thought she would be deploying Laurie mate several times a day but it appears the novelty has worn off. Cooper has been missing for a while in pics unless that is him under the dog.

Reactions: 22
I would add that I do believe Jack has had a poor relationship with her parents for a very long time (hence not moving back home during the Poverty, or going to them for support). The underlying causes will probably never be totally clear, but the way she writes about her teenage years - being "thrust into the cold world of minimum wage employment" - is strange.

It would have been extremely unusual for someone from Jack's background to leave home at 16, especially with no compelling reason (her reason was, er, going to work in a chip shop. Minimum wage for 16 yr olds at the time was 3£ an hour. How the duck was she supporting herself?).

Given that her parents are foster carers, with experience with troubled children, it seems even less likely that they told her, "tough tit, failure! No second chances for you!"

This is ESPECIALLY true when you consider that Jack claims her parents knew about her alleged ED and would force brandy into her for breakfast.

There's probably a lot more to this chapter of Jack's life, hidden in the background. For whatever reason, she chose to give up on education and leave home, when in reality she surely had plenty of other options open.

(What I wouldn't give for an AMA with Jack's older brother...)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
You could well be right. The original claim of 7 GCSEs appeared in Xanthe Clay's 2013 piece: https://web.archive.org/web/2013030...773/My-49p-lunch-with-a-girl-called-Jack.html Although admittedly not a direct quote.

In Potatoes, one of her lengthy asides aimed at Tattle claimed:

View attachment 1436873

TBH I can see that this is the kind of lie that would spiral. Initially she said she had 7 GCSEs, which is unremarkable, but back in 2013, she was presenting herself as a middle class woman fallen on hard times. Later, when she was claiming to be from a lifelong working class background, the number of GCSEs dropped...
Clearly the school's decision was the right one, seeing as seven were too much for her.

i don't know whether her mother has a degree though.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
It says a lot that Jack thinks one set of slightly below average GCSE results means you’re forced to do tit jobs for the rest of your life. Given her age, compulsory education would have ended at 16, but most people would not have gone into full time employment at that age. There were endless options out there. Resits, do some one year GCSEs, FE colleges with lower entry requirements, apprenticeships, NVQs. Some people in my school didn’t quite get the required grades to move onto A levels but still got into sixth form if they agreed to do their resits at the same time. But all this requires actual work soooo….

Reactions: 38
I used to work in a sixth form at one of the better schools in our town. Even we would've let jack in with 4.5 GCSES. If she was missing English or Maths she would've resat and we might be suggested she take 4 AS levels and drop one if the workload is too much.

4.5 GCSEs would've been fine for most college courses too.

It might not have been enough for her grammar to let her carry on to a level, but I'm assuming there were more post 16 options in Southend than a girls grammar school.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I am another frau who fucked up her GCSEs. I went to grammar school too, and they advised me to drop one so I could concentrate on the rest. Whether it was to do with league tables or not, it was good advice. Even getting Ds in 2 at my v academic school didn’t stop me doing A-Levels and then an undergrad & postgrad degree

I remember having a row about it with my parents when I was 16 and shouting “I am going to move out and get a job and a flat and then you’ll miss me!” Then promptly bursting into tears (Reader; I did not move out!)

A lot of jacks pronouncements are like she’s still stuck in her teenage years. Everything’s always the best ever or the worst ever or “I suppose you want me to DROP DOWN DEAD!” V emotionally immature

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
6) High school? She went to a grammar school for secondary, no one calls grammar schools high schools because they’re not.
Whilst it pains me terribly to defend JM in any way whatsoever, the girls selective schools around here are actually called Southend/Chelmsford/Colchester High School for Girls and usually referred to as 'the High School' to differentiate from the boys grammars.

She's still a lying twit tho.

Reactions: 26
Might be impossible to read, soz:
Screenshot_20220722-132414_Fenix_1.jpg

Screenshot_20220722-132605_Fenix.jpg

Screenshot_20220722-132904_Fenix.jpg

I can't be arsed reading it but I'm sure it's really good and that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 66
I would add that I do believe Jack has had a poor relationship with her parents for a very long time (hence not moving back home during the Poverty, or going to them for support). The underlying causes will probably never be totally clear, but the way she writes about her teenage years - being "thrust into the cold world of minimum wage employment" - is strange.

It would have been extremely unusual for someone from Jack's background to leave home at 16, especially with no compelling reason (her reason was, er, going to work in a chip shop. Minimum wage for 16 yr olds at the time was 3£ an hour. How the duck was she supporting herself?).

Given that her parents are foster carers, with experience with troubled children, it seems even less likely that they told her, "tough tit, failure! No second chances for you!"

This is ESPECIALLY true when you consider that Jack claims her parents knew about her alleged ED and would force brandy into her for breakfast.

There's probably a lot more to this chapter of Jack's life, hidden in the background. For whatever reason, she chose to give up on education and leave home, when in reality she surely had plenty of other options open.

(What I wouldn't give for an AMA with Jack's older brother...)
I’ve always taken it to be that the reason Jack had a not very close relationship with her parents (which I also genuinely believe has been the case) is entirely because of her and her attitude. Her parents sound like they could have tried, and pushed for a relationship but Jack was the type to create a rift of her own making and push them away, all the while feeling sorry for herself. To me this explains the seeming inconsistencies around that relationship. All the people that ask why didn’t she ask her parents for help, to me it adds up. She would stubbornly not tell them a thing and rather be the main character in her poverty drama. But of course, as per the Pulp song, it was never really that bad for her as she could call her dad and get bailed out anytime 🙃 With everything we know about Jack it makes a lot of sense to me.

I’m from a very working class not well off family but had a friend from a middle class family very similar to how I imagine Jack being for most of her teenage/young adult life. At least subconsciously wanting to create friction in her frictionless life. I think the GCSEs are a bit of this too. She had everything going for her, but a deep down desire to be a duck up. She still does it now in fairness.

I think there’s some people born into comfortable lives that just can’t appreciate it.

Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.