Jack Monroe #343 A heavy dose of chickpea and loathing

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do schools for gifted and talented exist? Unless she means her local grammar?
Hang on, this doesn’t make any sense.
1) If she was reading her parents’ books at four wouldn’t Charlie and the Chocolate Factory have been a bit of a step down at six?
2) Why was a parent governor involved with a six year olds reading?
3) Why couldn’t she have read the reading scheme at school and Roald Dahl at home?
4) Educational psychiatrist? Wouldn’t it have been an educational psychologist?
5) Those assessments aren’t just given out like sweeties, why was she given one?
6) High school? She went to a grammar school for secondary, no one calls grammar schools high schools because they’re not.
7) Is there any such thing as a school for the gifted and talented? Arguably that’s what a grammar school is.

1) Imagine boasting about this as an adult!! I have a couple of friends who really were child prodigies and are chill about it, you'd only know if you asked. Meanwhile Thumbelina's over here shouting about having enjoyed a children's book while at the appropriate age for it. Make it make sense
7) I have a tiny hunch she meant whatever was the 80s equivalent of The Academy for Gifted and Talented Children, which wasn't a school but a venture that ran gifted and talented activities in schools. Basically, being put on a list and signed up for some activities. Academy, club, school... words is words x
ETA, g&t 'diagnosis' is normal for grammars in my experience, it makes them look good and a lot of students are bound to be good at something. 🔺 It wouldn't single anyone out the way Jack described, not in that environment. But whether the students end up doing anything about g&t specifically depends on how committed their parents and Head/teachers are to developing whatever skills they've been deemed gifted & talented at. You might have a student put on the g&t list and nothing happens lol.
tl;dr probably a small kernel of truth in there somewhere in that fib!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
View attachment 1434712
Worst Connect 4 game evaaaah.
Can someone help me please?
I can understand how half a tray was overdone but these burnt ones are scattered intermittently across the bake. Like the oven had laser beams to zap individual biscuits and leave the surrounding ones raw.
If she's put two different tray bakes in the rack, why has she put the burnt ones in? If she's put them on the rack and arranged them for aesthetic purposes why include the tit ones?

• Haha
Reactions: 36
1) If she was reading her parents’ books at four wouldn’t Charlie and the Chocolate Factory have been a bit of a step down at six?
3) Why couldn’t she have read the reading scheme at school and Roald Dahl at home?
5) Those assessments aren’t just given out like sweeties, why was she given one?
6) High school? She went to a grammar school for secondary, no one calls grammar schools high schools because they’re not.
7) Is there any such thing as a school for the gifted and talented? Arguably that’s what a grammar school is.

stop asking questions, her grandfather is DEAD

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48

4) a whole new profession was created to assess the enigma that is Jack Monroe.

Once she was assessed as <insert anything you feel like> said profession was removed from history.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I can understand how half a tray was overdone but these burnt ones are scattered intermittently across the bake. Like the oven had laser beams to zap individual biscuits and leave the surrounding ones raw.
If she's put two different tray bakes in the rack, why has she put the burnt ones in? If she's put them on the rack and arranged them for aesthetic purposes why include the tit ones?
She used two kinds of curd - lemon, and ginger (fancy)

• Haha
Reactions: 15
4) a whole new profession was created to assess the enigma that is Jack Monroe.

Once she was assessed as <insert anything you feel like> said profession was removed from history.
They diagnosed her with autism, but took that secret to their grave. Plucky Jack merely stumbled across the secret later in her magnanimous life.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Ohhhh a sentient spite oven. That explains a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
When she talks about school for the gifted and talented this is what I picture. Her superpower is turning all perfectly edible food into slop.
I think the same!

Kids in grammar schools aren't gifted, not like child prodigies, nope. Just more academic and nerdier. She only sat 7 GCSE's too, that's shockingly low for a grammar, so she can't have been that 'gifted'. (15 subjects was the standard at mine.)

Reactions: 33
i'm sharing this from the past so not sure what's happened or where it'll land, but just to re-share a link i previously posted in May. Please can a squig pick up on this - preferably one who @'s Jack and not one who subtly talks about her without it landing where it needs to.
Youth Parliament or not. She doesn’t bleeping vote.
She didn’t vote when it mattered, whether that is Brexit or General Elections.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Hang on, this doesn’t make any sense
I believe I can help you with these last two, pal/bub. This is American Jack. She from the land of high schools, gifted and talented programs and lazy google searches that “inform” her humblebrags.

EDDB2C85-B9F0-44D5-BABB-9ED3F8533211.gif

She still fucked it up though, because they’re gifted and talented programs, and for the most part not separate gifted and talented schools the lying fuckwit.

Note: not a badge of honor, not a reason for boasting. IE STFU Jack.

563012AE-4F2D-4D36-9EF1-5BBF20389F2D.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23

It's all a bit made up. I am off the same age and I have dyspraxia. I went too see pediatrician and and educational phycologist. They told my mum my issues and along with the school my family helped me get support and the help I needed to get through. There's no way in hell she was reading her parents books because A at four she would not understand the subject matter despite knowing the words, plus they would I assume also be unsuitable subject matter as what parent would want a four year old reading about sexualencounters and or other more adult themes, which many books describe in vivid detail, even I find the books that do not have that has their subject matter.

As per her tweets yesterday it just proves to me further that her whole life she had been made too feel inadequate and she has not been giving the appropriate levels of attention and therefore she make up a fantasy world in how she thinks she should be treated etc to such a point she believes it to be her reality I wouldn't be surprised it she said she had an invisible friend as a child onectgat thought the world of her .

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I think the same!

Kids in grammar schools aren't gifted, not like child prodigies, nope. Just more academic and nerdier. She only sat 7 GCSE's too, that's shockingly low for a grammar, so she can't have been that 'gifted'. (15 subjects was the standard at mine.)
I always wondered how she ended up with 4 GCSEs. Oh sorry, 4.5. If she’d turned up for half of the classes, even with no revision she probably could have scraped a few E grades which still counts. Her parents don’t seem like the kind to ignore warnings from the school about missed coursework. Her school seems like the type that loves to crow about it’s GCSE results so I doubt they’d want her to leave without at least five.

Reactions: 24
I think the same!

I’m in Kent which is fully selective, grammars take approximately the top 25% of academic achievers so while obviously not everyone goes to one they’re not particularly exclusive and filled with prodigies.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It's the dogs name that makes me think the dog belongs to Jack. It occurred to me that it may have something to do with word association. Laurie Lee, Lee Jackson, Laurence Fox. A cutsie reminder she could trot out if anything ever came of the landmark libel case, as she acquired the dog around the same time she was shouting about this. Speculation, etcetera. The Katie Hopkins sofa has had its time as a conversation piece, I feel.

It also really shows how much she's squandered opportunities. Earlier this year, when the 344% thread went viral, she briefly had the highest profile she's had in years - constantly on TV/radio, getting retweeted by genuinely famous people etc etc.

Anyone even slightly savvy would have seized that with both hands. Get the website updated regularly again, post weekly meal plans, start a newsletter on supermarket deals of the week...there are so many options. Instead she bought a pigskin hat and went on holiday to Venice. 🤷🏼‍♀️
And she could have back-tracked on the ill conceived VBI and adopted/admitted that Steve Dressermans idea was better. Or just accepted his help in the first place. I say could have, because there is no way she would have. Not too late, Jack! You are going to have to explain it away some day, some how.

Reactions: 19
Oh gawd, I hate the IQ thing! I could never get through the test and found it very soul destroying! I like to think that I am intelligent in my mind own average way! I’d say that Jack is of average intelligence too!
My auntie worked at a rough comprehensive school and she was in charge of the gifted and talented scheme so it’s not just exclusive to grammar schools these days.
Jack is one of those people who make an arse of themselves on a daily basis because they think they know it all.

Reactions: 20
It's the dogs name that makes me think the dog belongs to Jack. It occurred to me that it may have something to do with word association. Laurie Lee, Lee Jackson, Laurence Fox. A cutsie reminder she could trot out if anything ever came of the landmark libel case, as she acquired the dog around the same time she was shouting about this. Speculation, etcetera. The Katie Hopkins sofa has had its time as a conversation piece, I feel.
I think you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if she used the PayPal money she said would help fund her legal case against Laurence Fox to buy Content. Which is why she called it Laurie cos she's twisted like that.

Reactions: 34
I’m in Kent which is fully selective, grammars take approximately the top 25% of academic achievers so while obviously not everyone goes to one they’re not particularly exclusive and filled with prodigies.
Exactly. Mine was selective, and there was mix of all types of kids, from all types of backgrounds. Mostly working class as that was the majority in my area. And not every kid went on to do uni or white-collar jobs.

She acts like she's billy big balls to get into one, but a frau pointed out she didn't start until year 9, so again, not that gifted. Too much emphasis is put on IQ, the tests are a crock of tit.

I always wondered how she ended up with 4 GCSEs. Oh sorry, 4.5. If she’d turned up for half of the classes, even with no revision she probably could have scraped a few E grades which still counts. Her parents don’t seem like the kind to ignore warnings from the school about missed coursework. Her school seems like the type that loves to crow about it’s GCSE results so I doubt they’d want her to leave without at least five.
My school would have blown a gasket. They were all about the 100% pass rate, it was in the 90s per cent in my day. A lot of pressure, but a lot of support too. Only seven makes me think she just sat the basic subjects, no options etc.

Just my imo, but I think she failed the 11+ and then her parents got a tutor to ensure she got in later. The tutored kids were the ones that struggled in my experience, and I think that's why Jack bombed so hard at school.

Reactions: 23
I think the same!

I’m sure she’ll have some risible excuse very good reason for that which will invariably be wholly her parents’ fault, like why in her 30s she’s unable to swim (not even getting into that egregiousness), why she’s unable to drive etc (hidden autism diagnosis trauma) etc. Not sure whose fault the “cooking” is, mind.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.