Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

moglits

Dear cabal.

I have had to take a step away from Jack recently and, given that this place has been solace during my darkest times, here I return.

Earlier this week, we had our beloved boxer dog put to sleep. She was only 7.

A week and a half ago, she seemed low. Not her usual bouncy, helicopter tailed self. It lasted a few days so we took her to the vet. They couldn’t find any sign of anything wrong - my dog, of course, was all boops and smiles - but decided to take a suite of blood tests later to rule stuff out.

Two days later, we were woken by a clattering sound next door. My dog staggered into our hallway, confused and weak, and dribbling a bit of wee. We ushered her into our bedroom, cradled her while she recovered, and carried her to her favourite spot on the sofa.

Another vet trip, and more bemusement at what was wrong. All the bloods were normal, and we were just waiting for the heart. To rule that out, she was referred to a cardiologist but, in the meantime, we kept her comfy and full of her favourite roast chicken.

These collapses started happening daily. They wiped her out, but when she rallied it was like nothing was wrong. Wowfing with joy when her dad and I snuck a hug; sitting at my feet as I made yet more chicken; running to me with her crocodile ‘teefs’ toy. Friends came over and we presented them with a bag of gifts for their new baby; pup gently reached into the bag and lifted out the stuffed giraffe in her chops. It was for her, right?

Tuesday, cardiologists. She was going to be kept in for a few hours for some scans, an ECG, the works. I kissed her on the head and we headed back home.

Half an hour down the road, we were called back. They’d found something on the scan.

There was a huge mass on her spleen, and there was fluid around her organs. When the fluid was withdrawn for sampling, it was blood. The suspected tumour had ruptured, and was bleeding. Cancer was most likely spreading throughout her body as we spoke.

The vet soberly said we could refer her on for other scans, but she was too weak to travel far. She had that look in her eyes of ‘you know what I’m saying, don’t you’.

We gently got her home. Blanket on the sofa, chicken in the oven. She was snoozing, stirring when we chatted, and very interested when she could smell what was cooking. And we held her paw, and kissed her head, and got a good lungful of popcorn paw.

And at 4.30, we took her to the vet. We explored the fields around there, talked to her, and took her in. She died in my lap, wrapped in her blanket, with her dad and I telling her how good she was and how much we loved her.

Cabal, my heart is broken. I mean, my chest literally hurts. Our house is far too quiet and I don’t know how we’re supposed to live without her (I know we will). We are moving to our first purchased home together in a few weeks and I am devastated that she isn’t with us (I mean, she will be. In a little pot, and in a ring I’ve ordered for myself, and in our hearts). I haven’t cried like this since my Dad died when I was 14.

And I see the tokenistic pictures of Laurie, and I think about Jack ignoring three vets, and I think about the other animals, and I’m furious. Incandescent. Outraged at how unfair it is. Part of pet ownership is putting your pain before theirs; being devoted until the end. They love you unconditionally, and it is the very least you owe them.

I cried when I made tea tonight because she wasn’t by my side waiting for drops. But my pain came before hers; my suffering must prevent any of hers. And that’s just what you do. They are not there for clout, or content. They are family, and you will lay your very heart down for them.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 165
In restaurant parlance, Friday is Global Release Day. You know what that means - it's time to unleash the first Pet Slop Bots album. You can download it directly from here: http://www.slopbot.com/petslopbots.html as a zip file. It should work on any device but if it doesn't, please let me know and I can find an alternative way to upload it. Tuck into your electroslop, dear hearts. It's a nourishing bed soup for your ears.

slop listening 400.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 109

Pocahontas

VIP Member
Gah - please don’t be too aggrieved re the walruses. We’ve just had a whole thread of walruses.
If you want to lodge a complaint, send it to 1 Fun Sponge Street, you know the rest.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 108

Pocahontas

VIP Member
Congratulations to @Ostapbender for the thread title. Your prize is a small, but meaningful tattoo (catch: it must be of one of Jack’s drawings). Words by a squig who had a pretty good point.

Recap of last thread:

1. Jack went to two different AA meetings to collect her one year sobriety chip. She apparently gave SB one ‘quite nervously, but v casually’ and he went to sleep with it next to his head.
2. Jack has booked herself in for a ‘small but incredibly meaningful’ tattoo to fill in a gap on her wrist, and to say f you to her most recent exes who didn’t like tattooed women such as herself. And who also said she dressed like a lesbian.
3. Please fill in anything I’ve missed.

A polite reminder to all, that to keep the thread working well for everyone please remember there is the Food and Drink thread for off topic chats.
Also, new thread = time to say bye bye to all the walrus content.

Please use the words ‘thread title’ when nominating one, no swears and say hi to the wiki if you’re new.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 98

DisgruntledGoat

VIP Member
Well, I did not have Jack Monroe blackfishing on my list of “ungodly shit to look out for this weekend”, but here we are.

• Haha
  • Wow

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
Plus let's be honest, she almost certainly uses the same password for everything, and it'll either be password123, j4ckm0nr0e, or fuckt4ttle.
Remember when we managed to 'hack into' the del Monte live before it was live because the password was DEL MONTE?

• Haha
  • Wow

colouredlines

VIP Member
Realistically, here's how this plays out.

Complaining Squig: "I signed up to Jack's Patreon and got nothing."

Jack: "This person has been trolling me for years. She presented herself as a fan, was even offered the chance to participate in one of my live shows, and responded by immediately making an account on a gossip forum and plotting how to best to harass me."

Jackolytes: "That's terrible. I'm doubling my Patreon contribution. You do such good work."

I'm not saying I agree with this, by the way. But this is categorically not any kind of smoking gun.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 97

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
On behalf of The Poors can I just lodge my objection to that awful fuel heat/eat vid on the last thread? I get that it’s difficult to explain things to the chattering Guardianista classes, but putting people in a restaurant and literally making it cold then taking their dinner off them if they ask for the air con to be turned off, times 3+ To demonstrate the difficult choices poor people face in choosing food or fuel is utterly, bewilderingly offensive.

• Heart
Reactions: 97

TurnedUpInTipp

VIP Member
Finally caught up!
We've moved, I'm now Connaught's 100th least interesting lesbian.
The house is not finished, I've caught the covid after avoiding it for 2 and a half years and am in isolation in a campervan on my MIL's drive.
Thank Christ for you lot and Jack's bullshit.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 94

Amanda Lin

VIP Member
316E6780-12D0-4299-B5E6-5BA2A0B70D68.jpeg

Bestest ever.

You can’t see them because I snaffled them all up like a greedy walrus.
Recipe will be pinged later for any poors who need a treat.

*disclaimer: the energy, emotional labour, cost, sheer exhaustion of lying about making cookies is a privilege enjoyed by few.

• Haha
Reactions: 92