Jack Monroe #335 Boob, I guess

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jack's poverty performance has been indulged by the mainstream media for so long that this abomination is the logical outcome. Without all her cheerleaders and enablers she would have disappeared years ago. Maybe her publishers will see sense and drop her now. At least if she has to go down the vanity publishing route her Patreon subscribers will finally see a return on their investment.

Reactions: 43
Unlike Monroe, I have no words to describe the opening paragraphs she so graciously shared with us this morning. Other than to say, that if anyone actually publishes that overwritten, overwrought, underthought nonsense, I look forward to the reviews.

• Haha
Reactions: 67
I can't understand why any publisher would want this absolute swill? Do they want to lose money?

Reactions: 47
She’d be such a terrible fiction writer, her protagonist would be a horrible Mary Sue, simultaneously the biggest victim with the most tragic possible backstory and brave and strong and loved by all. The villain would be an evil Tory and everyone else would be bumbling yokels who don’t have the brains and moxie of our pixie and cheer her on from the slide lines as she defeats Lord Snootington.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Be warned squigs. The forecast is Spiky Jack.
View attachment 1393268
“It’s a very raw and traumatic piece of work though”. She’s so bloody frustrating! It is possible to have empathy (because no matter what she says, I don’t believe for a second that her so called poverty was anything like other people’s experiences) and to see the goal of actually making a difference. Nobody has asked or is forcing her to do this. She reads a couple of newspaper articles and a Coroner report and it’s “raw and traumatic” for HER.

She revels in mining other people’s stories and then telling the cult members so they can pat her on the head and tell her how brave she is.

And honestly, who’s going to buy this tit? Form an orderly queue folks, get your hands on a copy of a load of floral bollocks as described by a charlatan who uses other people’s terrible experiences to boost her own profile. It’s got top of the Christmas best seller list written all over it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 61
Unlike Monroe, I have no words to describe the opening paragraphs she so graciously shared with us this morning. Other than to say, that if anyone actually publishes that overwritten, overwrought, underthought nonsense, I look forward to the reviews.
🎶Overwrought underthought Pumbling free🎶

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
“It’s a very raw and traumatic piece of work though”. She’s so bloody frustrating! It is possible to have empathy (because no matter what she says, I don’t believe for a second that her so called poverty was anything like other people’s experiences) and to see the goal of actually making a difference. Nobody has asked or is forcing her to do this. She reads a couple of newspaper articles and a Coroner report and it’s “raw and traumatic” for HER.

She revels in mining other people’s stories and then telling the cult members so they can pat her on the head and tell her how brave she is.

And honestly, who’s going to buy this tit? Form an orderly queue folks, get your hands on a copy of a load of floral bollocks as described by a charlatan who uses other people’s terrible experiences to boost her own profile. It’s got top of the Christmas best seller list written all over it.
I don't understand misery lit at the best of times, who wants to read abuse stories like 'A Child called It' for example. It's a bizarre trend. Literary rubbernecking.

Jackanory needs to bore off.

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Blue squig appears to be someone who sent Jack her story. Red squig is a friend of TD.
E7AA38BA-9815-4C62-BABD-88E289134E7F.jpeg
3770ACB9-31C2-4B5F-B3C1-4A3EB1735B04.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 108

You said this much better than I could. EXACTLY. The best remedy for despair is action, Jack.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
She’d be such a terrible fiction writer, her protagonist would be a horrible Mary Sue, simultaneously the biggest victim with the most tragic possible backstory and brave and strong and loved by all. The villain would be an evil Tory and everyone else would be bumbling yokels who don’t have the brains and moxie of our pixie and cheer her on from the slide lines as she defeats Lord Snootington.
I think you must've seen her manuscript already! That'll be exactly it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 20
This is another reason Jack doesn't acknowledge her privilege: if an unknown author wrote that diatribe they would be laughed out of the building. Also, writers need thick skins to get anywhere Jack. The only way you grow as a writer is being systematically eviscerated until you hone your craft into something worth reading, not everyone gets to go directly to grift central and declare themselves the best that ever was. Jack is hilariously thin skinned and it reveals more than she thinks.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 57
I don't understand misery lit at the best of times, who wants to read abuse stories like 'A Child called It' for example. It's a bizarre trend. Literary rubbernecking.

Jackanory needs to bore off.
She’s not telling us anything most people don’t know anyway! We know how tough things are, we see it and hear it from people we know or the local news/media. Nobody expects her to have the answers so I have no idea why she’s writing this in the first place.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
re: someone's post, it is totally possible to be a school leaver/not degreed and write well -- a lot of great writers didn't go to university, like Shakespeare, George Eliot, Virginia Woolf, the Brontes, for example, and there are still brilliant autodidacts around who didn't have any formal schooling. Sue Townsend left school at 14 for instance. ETA Benjamin Zephaniah as well, a favourite. Training does help a lot but so does wide reading and guided mentorship and, yes, always, GOOD EDITING. The main failure of Jack's writing is her extreme arrogance and refusal to learn anything, which feeds into all the other issues with it, imo.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 84
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.