Jack Monroe #321 It's just that Jack wasn't especially cool or well liked

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep! Currently helping my best friend look for a flat and the state of “first time buyer” properties is shocking, attached a floor plan of an entirely wonky flat that is the result of a larger house being butchered and extended. This is going to keep getting worse as the market slows/declines at the higher end and prices of entry level properties increase due to lack of supply (additionally, a lot of flats are cash buyers only due to cladding or open corridors typical of post war council flats being a no go for lenders).

The Patreon saint of poors has no bleeping idea what it’s like. My friend isn’t even poor - he has 6 figures in cash savings but is a single buyer on the London avg salary and this is all it gets you, in zone 4. Yet Jacqui is mithering about an orangery and the posh tree/plant I can’t remember the name of? She’s on an entirely different bleeping planet.
I looked at first time buyer homes in my hometown last night. £125,000 for a run down, ex council house, on the worst, most crime ridden street on the estate. A few years ago, they’d have been lucky to get £50,000. I despair.

• Sad
Reactions: 29
How about you don’t tell other peoples personal facts in an interview! How is it confirmed? Do they drag the person in and see if it’s true? Also horrible implications of ‘you must talk to the cleaning staff because they are lowly peasants and therefore please patronise them’

This never happened.
In the last office I worked in, the cleaning staff came in after the office was closed. We never saw them at all. That would be my promotion out of the window I suppose, all because I didn't know if the cleaner had a birth mark on her backside.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
Yes. 🔺but we advertise really good apprenticeships with graduate training and futures that young people won’t apply for because they earn more in their current part time job at McDonald’s. (They’re not working for us, we’re the education provider)
There are older people in apprenticeships too, especially after covid, retraining and the pay and attitude is still very much apprentice = teenager. My firm has a brilliant range of apprenticeships that lead to fab careers with good pay - but they are very clearly bottom of the rung and on minimum wage, doing hard graft. It forever infuriates me 😂 they work harder than some of the lazy managers I have to deal with.

Low wage apprenticeships *can* be a good thing IMO, for young people still living at home who don't have any previous work experience or for career changers who have enough support/savings to take a huge salary cut but not to pay £27,000 for a second degree (I was looking into the latter myself until covid obliterated the industry I wanted to move into). It incentivises employers to take on new starters who would otherwise be unable to compete with experienced applicants from a more traditional background. But that only applies for skilled fields that are otherwise difficult to get into. I've seen so many bullshit apprenticeship ads for things like barista jobs, where the 'education' part is basically "we'll train you in the art of latte making" - no disrespect to anyone who does those jobs because they are HARD, but in terms of technical skill it's not exactly designing the Severn Bridge is it. I think there needs to be more regulation around those cases, where it's just a blatant loophole that companies are exploiting to get away with paying less than minimum wage.
Omg a barista one? Thats insane 😂

On topic - jack talking about cauli rice and free-from. Sorry but arent they typically bloody pricey!?

Reactions: 31
I’m bookmarking this page ready to get these tweets back easily when we inevitably get ACAB Jack in a few weeks. Don’t think we’ve had it yet so can’t be far off.
Maybe somebody can add them to the media gallery for safe keeping?

Reactions: 15
Ruby is a fan of Jack's. She praises her in this book.
I don’t read praise as such. I read a nod to someone working in the same sphere. Book recommendation and mention of long grain rice.

The way she writes about Nigel (or Ewan ❤😏) or Rukmini implies an entirely different strength of feeling.

Reactions: 22
I don’t read praise as such. I read a nod to someone working in the same sphere. Book recommendation and mention of long grain rice.

The way she writes about Nigel (or Ewan ❤😏) implies anyone entirely different strength of feeling.
I understand what you mean but Ruby giving a nod to Jack's work in her own book is an endorsement and she has an online history of defending Jack. She may do it in part from sympathy but Ruby is definitely not throwing shade at Jack here. Ruby has written an essay for her own newsletter about her shame at not having a 'food writer' kitchen and that's what she is referencing in this Insta post.

Reactions: 18
I understand what you mean but Ruby giving a nod to Jack's work in her own book is an endorsement and she has an online history of defending Jack. She may do it in part from sympathy but Ruby is definitely not throwing shade at Jack here. Ruby has written an essay for her own newsletter about her shame at not having a 'food writer' kitchen and that's what she is referencing here.
I was trying to be funny in my first post. Missed the mark.

Apologies all round.

Will go and write a long rant about MH’s take on Top Gun that will also not be funny.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
They don’t follow each other on Instagram.

However, given that most people seem to use it now to look at dogs/weird things being made/random bridges shaped liked hands, I’m not really surprised.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Omg a barista one? Thats insane 😂

On topic - jack talking about cauli rice and free-from. Sorry but arent they typically bloody pricey!?
Jack's new partner/paymaster Superdrug advertise for retail apprentices on the minimum apprentice wage. I know retail isn't easy, but it doesn't require an apprenticeship, that's why it's already an entry level job.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 42
I'm not sure that she did and even so, endorsing Jack's book in her own is a pretty strong indication that she rates her work highly. I think Ruby is misguided here. Ruby is also quite naive and her own difficulties make her vulnerable to the manipulations of others who appear, on the surface, to have some commonality with her. Ruby is less of a food rebel than she believes herself to be. She's also heavily appropriated other people's ideas. She's a magpie. I also suspect Ruby saw a little of herself in Jack's constant seeking of attention and backed away from socials as a result. For that she deserves credit.
She did follow her a couple of years ago I'm pretty sure. Perhaps because of your last point made she unfollowed. I can't comment on the rest. I personally enjoyed Eat Up but I do also put my hands up and say I'm not very well read so wouldn't know anything about apppropriating ideas.

Reactions: 16
Jack's new partner/paymaster Superdrug advertise for retail apprentices on the minimum apprentice wage. I know retail isn't easy, but it doesn't require an apprenticeship, that's why it's already an entry level job.
I’m upset. All geared up for #housingjack but obviously being up all night has tired her out and she is having one EPIC dino nap.

She probably thinks an apprenticeship means being Pinocchio.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I wonder what today will bring, a neighbour observing Coops stuck up a tree and maliciously calling Old Chief and the boys, Mr Tesco thumping his desk and roaring "GET ME, MONROE NOW" to his startled secretary, the opening of Space Squigs box of terror, some new and disgusting slop? It's all too exciting

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.