Jack Monroe #316 Bizarrely, Jack seems to have misread the research

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I take it all back. That book looks brilliant. Feed broccoli stalks to my dog, goat or chickens (so relatable) and prepare a tray bake of broccoli stalks and sausages. Y tho.

And bless - re the disgusting broccoli coleslaw 'work through with clean hands' 😂
If you’re having milk from the goats or eggs from the chickens then you can’t feed broccoli that’s left over out your kitchen. Why is everything she does wrong?!

• Wow
Reactions: 27
If I was working on a commission for a customer, they'd be thrilled to see that I was desperately panicking about it, the night before it was due, posting non stop on social media, and generally doing a half assed job.

Fanny

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
And this tit is how we know she never does any visits to foodbanks or proper campaigning - she tweets every bit of work that she does

And it's not over delivering if it's two years late, pal x

Would anyone here still be employed if they delivered a core piece of their work 2 years late (keeping in mind she hasn't delivered it yet?!)

She does think she's above plebian concepts like ~deadlines~ and that people should just be grateful for her presence, doesn't she?
I'm sure the parents of the children in my class and my headteacher wouldn't mind at all if I wrote my end of year reports 2 years late. 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Why bother writing a cook book if you're geting that sweet sweet Patreon money for doing duck all anyway?

(Basically, all the things, the post-its, the handwritten pages, the labelled jars and whatever nonsense she'll post pictures of, are more props for her 'budget food personality' play than part of actual work)

• Heart
I can't find the recipe on her site but did find this old article from 2019

View attachment 1309588
Who is her audience for the new book? Is it poor people? If so, why is she making them pay for previously published recipes when they’re already on a tight budget.
if it’s MC/aspirational folk then is the ‘(i use cheap sausages)’ line which she’s written, there for performative poverty tourism and nothing else?
I don’t understand who she thinks she’s writing for.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
She must be so lonely that she has no one else to share these "jokes" with other than strangers via her professional (and I use the term loosely) social media accounts.

Has she never heard the phrase "work smarter not harder performative 100 hour weeks handwriting everything when you have a perfectly good laptop"
And an iMac with mahoosive screen 🙄

Reactions: 20
The ‘drain’ is underlined making me wonder if it’s an affiliated link for a colander. Any eagle eyed fraus recognise the recipe from old?
Can't seem to find it, but I did end up on her website from 2013 and it was like a time warp - Jamie vs Jack, "rain is still wet if you went to a grammar school", me making recipes for the poor doesn't mean the poor should eat them...all the hits...same sh*t nine years later

I can't find the recipe on her site but did find this old article from 2019

View attachment 1309588
Ah I couldn't open that link! So that looks like she wrote the recipe for someone else and is just using it here?

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Out of the blue, this just popped up on my Instagram timeline and I can’t stop laughing, thought I’d share….Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran with the same energy as a certain person, he gets everywhere, Harold what you like, making his name away from Jack 😁

6D0DFD2D-BF6E-45C3-9C89-03CC1A736198.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Can't seem to find it, but I did end up on her website from 2013 and it was like a time warp - Jamie vs Jack, "rain is still wet if you went to a grammar school", me making recipes for the poor doesn't mean the poor should eat them...all the hits...same sh*t nine years later

Ah I couldn't open that link! So that looks like she wrote the recipe for someone else and is just using it here?
It almost certainly was on her website, but as it was written in 2019, it's now gone (the crack team of a dozen engineers still haven't managed to get the backup working).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Why is everything a performance?

Why does she write everything out by hand? Is it to fulfil some kind of romantic idea of hers that that is what writers do?

If she is that pushed to pull an all-nighter (it is safe to say we have probably all done it at one time or another), then you certainly are not in the mood or have time to tweet about it (SM wasn’t around when I was needing to work all the hours, but I didn’t knock on doors or text to tell people ffs). You didn’t do “The News”. Yesterday you slept through your alarms because you have no idea how to function in a adult way. You did a few sound bites on a few news programmes. If this is how today is going I am very glad I don’t have to be near my phone.

STFU, finish the book and get some sleep.

ETA- This is an anatomical impossiblity. Stop it .

(what happened to your grapefruit ankle btw?)

View attachment 1309468
Great promotion for a recipe "wtf was I thinking here" 😳 the expression does not fill one with confidence.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Why on earth is she adding more costs to her book’s project?

She’s not a superstar maverick that the publisher will happily bend over backwards for because they shift volume. Her last book sold 3.1k units, she likely hasn’t outearned her advance on it and I’d be amazed if the publishers have made good on their costs.

Jacqui ask your publishers what their planned marketing spend/activity is for this book, I can’t imagine it’ll be anything more than asking you to tweet about it 🤭 Ask which booksellers and supermarkets have shown interest in stocking it for Q4 too… 😳 it’ll be a humbling experience hun.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
To make it vegan, use vegan sausages. To make it gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta.

Move over Ferran Adrià, the culinary world has a new superstar!
To make it suitable for grifters, use 5p bollock and eyelid sausages - they will make a great substitute.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
How can she have been doing "edits" of this godforsaken book for over an entire year without noticing at least one of her recipes is missing the bleeping method until the night it's due to be handed in?

From zooming in it looks like this is the "mackerel and pineapple ceviche" from the wall of procrastination. Altogether now: THE BROMELAIN IN CANNED PINEAPPLE IS DENATURED.

View attachment 1309290View attachment 1309291View attachment 1309292

So, her hard 7 day deadline's expired and the ouchy mouth/fall down the stairs have clearly been unsuccessful in securing another extension. Unlucky! She's already used the technical issues excuse for this book, too.

View attachment 1309295

Might need to break out the big guns this time: ball lightning, amnesia, alien abduction?
How about the old classics - cat ate my homework, I left it on the bus, my grandfather is DEAD.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Hi Jack, as a hard deadline haver myself I will give you some advice: when the deadline looms it is best to turn your phone off/put it out of reach, put on music you know will make you focus (trance for me, Infected Mushroom have some good offerings) and plant your arse in a chair until it is done. The only time you should be not working is when you are on the loo or brewing up. Of course I am not a smol pixie so people are questioning me about my deadline if my work hasn't appeared within minutes, not years. Deadlines I have to hit every week.

My ultimate tip is do more work in advance to avoid a working overload at the last minute as you will make errors, the quality will suffer and it is worse for your mental health. You know, stuff they teach kids when handing out homework.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Apparently she started an open University degree years ago but gave it up as she couldn't afford it. If you Google Jack Monroe open University it takes you to a huff post article saying so

Is there nothing she's not tried and failed at ffs!,
Is there nothing she's not tried and failed at ffs!

THREAD NOM

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Phones?
Laptop?
Sentient mirror?
Hadron collider?
She got more technology than NASA.

Quite literally anyone who has ever worked with her.
She's never got a repeat gig. Some (Linda and Lorraine especially) have wiped her from existence on their SM/websites
cactus tv who produced all with it's phenomenal viewing figures don't even mention it on their website..

The are trying to pretend it never happened.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.