Jack Monroe #316 Bizarrely, Jack seems to have misread the research

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If she’s talking about us here, “the obsessive little band of hate-mongerers that desperately want to see me disappear from public life, and conveniently shut up about the sheer scope and disaster of poverty in the UK”, then ugh.

She KNOWS that’s not what we’re about. I don’t think any of us object to poverty being highlighted, but we know that it’s such an important issue, it’s worth doing it well.
She has to paint her detractors as evil “white wingers” because otherwise she has to admit the problem is her not her politics.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Sorry I’m not a book publishing or writing Frau but I assumed final book edits were checking dots on i’s and crosses on t’s kind of thing not total rewriting and adding? Because if she’s adding and rewriting that all needs checking/editing again doesn’t it?
If those photos are true and not a big ‘look at how disorganised I am’, only for her to whip out a ‘look what I’ve done, I showed you all’ finished book (frankly, wouldn’t put it past her)
then ... yep, if she’s at final author edits stage then it would be highly, severely annoying and inconvenient for the copyeditor (if there is one, who knows?) to have to make sense of her pages of handwritten notes. They would need typing up and added to the existing proof. There would have to be a whole new set of proofs generated aaaaand printed out (if she prints them AGAIN) and checked, if not by her mucky hands, then someone else’s.
Don’t know how the publisher is allowing this tbh 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 63
If those photos are true and not a big ‘look at how disorganised I am’, only for her to whip out a ‘look what I’ve done, I showed you all’ finished book (frankly, wouldn’t put it past her)
then ... yep, if she’s at final author edits stage then it would be highly, severely annoying and inconvenient for the copyeditor (if there is one, who knows?) to have to make sense of her pages of handwritten notes. They would need typing up and added to the existing proof. There would have to be a whole new set of proofs generated aaaaand printed out and checked, if not by her mucky hands, then someone else’s. Don’t know how the publisher is allowing this tbh 😂
But also surely someone else edits the book as well so would have spotted there was a missing method well before now?? It feels very much like gcse coursework not someone who’s on their 7th book

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
And an iMac with mahoosive screen 🙄
I genuinely don't understand what she's doing. A year ago (or more) she was working on this on her big fancy apple desktop, and was doing page layouts - she tweeted the tumble dryer lint / human hair #toptips in that format. Now, at her FINAL FINAL FINAL deadline, she's handwriting things and trying the pages together with string, like it's some sort of school project. Like, what is a publisher meant to do with that? How is she even going to get it sent in, she can't do it digitally, is it going by snail mail? And is the publisher meant to then sit and type out her handwritten notes? SPLAIN IT TO ME.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
But also surely someone else edits the book as well so would have spotted there was a missing method well before now?? It feels very much like gcse coursework not someone who’s on their 7th book
Yeah exactly. It’s making me doubt she’s at the final edits stage she’s making out to be, or think that the book is just a big make believe performance and it’s not destined to see the light of day.
Those Christmas stockings may yet remain unsullied!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Haven't there been mistakes in her actual printed books before?

I imagine she's impossible to copy edit for - remember that missing apostrophe was a "style choice" and "because of the font". She literally can't be wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: 38
I had a peer at the notebook and gave up, would literally have more fun decoding the Voynich manuscript! Can't imagine what the publisher must think

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Something that has gone up a bazillion* per cent

*approx

Reeses peanut butter cups. Used to get three, now you get two. For the same 70 pence.

Rude

Send doggos 🐶

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 52
I think, this thrifty book is recipes and hacks combined. Then the Pov book, and possibly Jack's memoir book where she's going to have to pick a version of her origin story and stick with it... Should be interesting. Unless I've misunderstood the thrifty book, she's not exactly been clear. Glad to see the recipes so far do indeed sound disgusting though. Look forward to her demoing some on TV 🥰
Speculation M'Lud but her cooking 'career' is properly over after this next book, isn't it? That's why her next (fantasy) books are non-cookbooks. No one will commission any more of her recipes.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
This behaviour is batshit, even for Jack.

This can't be final edits, surely? There's random words underlined all over the place, not to mention the missing method sections, etc.

I once had a chapter published in a book (long time ago) and the proof I was sent to correct did not look like a copy/paste from a budget bean blogger's website.

Anyone else's bullshit detector going off? If this book ever materialises I will eat my pigskin hat (I won't).
The last pre-publication edit of a book I saw in this state was a flatmate's copy of something by Louise Bagshawe c.2001

• Haha
Reactions: 27

Yel

Everytime I see the performative notebook writing I think it's Jack getting petty revenge on companies that don't want to be associated with her. 5+ years ago she was advertising Samsung all in one tablets, but blew these opportunities (and the orangery) because she couldn't help but be unpleasent.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
I think she has known for a while that her cooking is not longer viable and now she's pushing into politics again.

I honestly think everyone in her real life has literally given up scolding her. She doesn't want to know and it's pointless trying so they just wait around for the inevitable breakdown.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Where’s the giant Apple Mac? And why is she adding whole new things at this stage? Her enabling editor must secretly hate this process, why are they sooooo indulgent? Her books don’t even sell that well, surely nothing is worth this drama?

Reactions: 32
I don't know if this was posted already. I can't believe ONS chaos was just 2 days ago.
Director of IFS calling out the BBC -

Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 09.32.47.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 84
BRB, just off the the library to print out my unfinished thesis, make all my edits in my five colour ink clicky pen, and bind it with some crappy ribbon before handing it to the pre-eminent academics in my field.
“What do you mean I’ve got major corrections?! I wrote on page 42 noooooo this needs a methodology why did I do a PhD! I’m writing to the Telegraph”

Honestly, the unprofessionalism is off the damn charts. I initially thought she was lucky to have such an indulgent therapist publisher but it’s enabled her and made her worse. My terrifying supervisors have made me a better human in the long run. It’s genuinely sad that people will pay money for this piece of tit book full of untested recipes she’s taken from her website or her half-arsed paid partnerships thinking that they’re doing something worthy because they’re “saving money” or “being thrifty” all while she gets a double or triple payday (website ad revenue > paid partnerships > book advance and royalties). It’s immoral.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 72
What could, in theory, happen if she doesn’t meet this deadline? Also, if she does hand in that absolute mess that looks like a toddlers been cutting up magazines, what’s her publisher going to do/say? As others have said, that does not look like final edits.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.