Jack Monroe #316 Bizarrely, Jack seems to have misread the research

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m thinking of all the genuinely talented, dedicated and hardworking amateur cooks who would love to have a book contract ... and actually delivering it on time without all the wah wah wahing about it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 108
and instead of working on it, she's writing performative notes on it and posting them to Twitter. Makes sense. I said it earlier but it needs to be repeated - I can't stand her simpering publisher
She makes such an intolerable fuss about every bit of basic work she does. She needs a bleeping audience for everything. And pats on the back and being told how brave she is. For doing her job. Badly.
Her publisher seems utterly spineless tbh. Another enabler.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 68
How can she have been doing "edits" of this godforsaken book for over an entire year without noticing at least one of her recipes is missing the bleeping method until the night it's due to be handed in?

From zooming in it looks like this is the "mackerel and pineapple ceviche" from the wall of procrastination. Altogether now: THE BROMELAIN IN CANNED PINEAPPLE IS DENATURED.

Screenshot_20220601-005255_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20220601-005313_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20220601-005459_Twitter.jpg

So, her hard 7 day deadline's expired and the ouchy mouth/fall down the stairs have clearly been unsuccessful in securing another extension. Unlucky! She's already used the technical issues excuse for this book, too.

Screenshot_20220601-005247_Twitter.jpg

Might need to break out the big guns this time: ball lightning, amnesia, alien abduction?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 87
Regular reminder that 3 MONTHS AGO she was claiming the sodding thing was completely finished and ready to be handed in.

"Massively over-delivering" indeed.

Screenshot_20220601-011114_Twitter.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 63
She's already stood with those frightful extensions hanging off a headscarf getting her pic taken for the cover of a book that hasn't even got the basics done. Message to Carole Whatserwotsit at Bluebird publishing: Don't do it, please don't accept it, you're worth more than this. Send her packing 🙏

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Screenshot_20220601-011614_Twitter.jpg

Beans, sausage chunks and pasta. Great to see her exploring new avenues and not just filling the new book with slight variations of recipes she's already published!

And this one appears to be called "stretchy sausage rolls" which is conjuring up all kinds of horrors. I'm imagining some kind of cursed riff on Cheestrings but with raw bollock sausage meat squeezed out of its skin. Surely it can't be as bad as it sounds.

Screenshot_20220601-011625_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 60
And this tit is how we know she never does any visits to foodbanks or proper campaigning - she tweets every bit of work that she does

And it's not over delivering if it's two years late, pal x

Would anyone here still be employed if they delivered a core piece of their work 2 years late (keeping in mind she hasn't delivered it yet?!)

She does think she's above plebian concepts like ~deadlines~ and that people should just be grateful for her presence, doesn't she?

• Heart
Reactions: 69
How on earth, at this late stage, when the book is already 2 years overdue and she is supposedly doing final edits … HOW ON EARTH does she still have whole recipes missing AND whole methods missing???
This really is just cobbled together with no care or attention isn’t it. So slapdash.
Yes I'm wondering how ghastly these rushed late night additions are going to be. No care or attention at all. Just resentment. And she said she has got to go back to an old IG post to look up the entire missing recipe? So no honing, testing and refining it in the intervening time?
And this is meant to be a recipe book for cost cutting - but from the snippets seen it doesn't seem to explain why these recipes are cheap, or offer alternatives.
I'm no food writer but why didn't she spend a week each on say 20 recipes, cooking them, testing, tweaking, then writing each up?
The whole thing just sounds utterly depressing. It is sad people are going to spend money on such an unloved enterprise.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
3 years to write a book and look at where she is!
Everything that I do at work is timed and questioned for less a year than Jack’s ‘only’ £25K advance. Some people really don’t know they’re born.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Jack, we aren’t going to make a screenshot of your dumb scribbles and deploy it here regularly. Stop trying to go viral with us.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
It's like the VBI all over again and, yes, I am jealous! She announces she’s going to do something, the squidiots think it’s completed and proceed to tell everyone they can what a fantastic job she’s done. How do you do that!

1654045276919.png

There's no need to even finish the book. We've seen the ludicrous scribbles and the post its. That's a slam dunk best seller in squig world.

I’ve given up on the box opening. I’ve moved on:
Eat the cheese! Eat the cheese! 🧀

• Haha
Reactions: 49
Christ Almighty. The 'methooooooooood' is

Open tins.

Put tit from tins in bowl.

Add other tit and stir.

Tip tit into the bin onto a plate.

Add lemon juice and pepper, then eat it with bread if you really must.

IT'S NOT bleeping OTTOLENGHI.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 83
What Jack is doing, sharing all this stuff, is really, really bad publicity for the book IMO.

If I were her publisher I'd be fuming. She's lucky they seem to be so patient with her.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 57
View attachment 1309314

Beans, sausage chunks and pasta. Great to see her exploring new avenues and not just filling the new book with slight variations of recipes she's already published!

And this one appears to be called "stretchy sausage rolls" which is conjuring up all kinds of horrors. I'm imagining some kind of cursed riff on Cheestrings but with raw bollock sausage meat squeezed out of its skin. Surely it can't be as bad as it sounds.

View attachment 1309316
Still can’t spell cannellini beans.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Do we know who all these 14 interviews were with?
She might not get paid directly for the interviews but as an influencer, she gets paid in sponsorships, patroen, her tip jar, promoting her books, and other commissions to do paid things. Adding up every ‘i didn’t get paid for this’ smacks of ignorance of her own income sources.

Also agree with everyone who has commented on teh CCJ/debt thing. She should be promoting the charities that give financial advice on debts for free (step change, national debt line). I’ve had massive debts in the past (tl : wont share) and ignoring the letters would have caused horrendous problems. Replying and letting creditors know what has happened meant I could live my life - they stopped the constant phonecalls and harassment.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.