Jack Monroe #313 You people are weird

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's regressed! That JO video is actually ... pretty good? She's personable, confident in presenting, seems on top of the recipe and the science behind it. End result looks good. Poverty origin story kept to the bare (shelf) minimum. What happened???
The monster inside grew is what happened.šŸ˜‘

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
She's regressed! That JO video is actually ... pretty good? She's personable, confident in presenting, seems on top of the recipe and the science behind it. End result looks good. Poverty origin story kept to the bare (shelf) minimum. What happened???
She started telling more and more.lies and is now very nervous at every camera job that someone is going to point them out to her.

Imagine, of you will, a Dennis Pennis type person with a camera and a microphone rushing up to Jack all of a sudden and demanding answers..
She'd drop mouldy beef cake bricks from her backside and look like a startled tattooed bunny in the headlights of a bendy London bus.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I watched the rhubarb soda bread video from THAT MAN and it's indeed not bad. Was this around the time she was with Allegra and actually exposed to someone who knows how to cook?

Reactions: 29
The monster inside grew is what happened.šŸ˜‘
The stand out line and the point at which I had to stop watching was ā€œThe last thing you want it to do is cling to you like a three year old that wants its dinner.ā€ Given SB was three at the time and they were not long out of The Poverty, that is a bleeping grim simile. She always was a monster.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
I guess she has now also given herself the status of expert of Everything as well (cooking, budget cooking, vegan cooking, poverty, foodbanks, ADHD) there is more at stake when she is interviewed or on tv/ an online video that she has a lot more to lose. When you've completed (it mate) everything, and put yourself on a high pedestal, the fall can be long. That she makes up things and lies to hold up her status of knowing Evertything does not help.

Reactions: 32
I watched the rhubarb soda bread video from THAT MAN and it's indeed not bad. Was this around the time she was with Allegra and actually exposed to someone who knows how to cook?
Yes, it's filmed in Allegra's kitchen, she was cosplaying her girlfriend.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 49
I agree totally with this post. Now going off on a slight tangent re: Jack's obsession with trauma and everything being terrible:

It sucks, especially when she drags other people into it. I was thinking about this a lot lately with her latest "campaign", which largely seems to consist of shouting that people will starve to death and that buying cheap products, meal planning etc are intensely difficult - far beyond the capabilities of the average person - and ultimately futile, because starvation is just around the corner.

The thing is, well, people in rich countries in western Europe don't tend to starve to death. There's a reason Jack has a list of names - those people made the news, precisely because their cases were unusual. What's more, there are always underlying conditions that made these people especially vulnerable; in many cases, these are MH-related, as the people actually died by suicide.

Now imagine having a public platform and using it to tell vulnerable people, over and over again, that they are going to starve to death, that the government wants them dead, that there are no solutions for them. This is not just callous in the extreme, it's also incredibly irresponsible.

Jack could use her platform to highlight resources - lists of food banks, explanations of how different projects work that can be daunting (those food banks require a referral, but these ones don't. This one you can only use three times, but here's a Sikh temple that will feed you every day etc etc), descriptions of apps like Too Good To Go, community initiatives that have been set up to help people...

In the absence of bigger picture MH service reform, these vulnerable people need clear, simple signposts. They need to be told that yes, they CAN access food, and here's how. Instead, they get Jack Monroe gleefully bleating about how the Tories are killing them. It's sick.
This is such a good point. It is fear mongering. It really would not be difficult to share information about sources of help. I think this point has been made before, but her audience is not really those in need.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Happy birthday to THAT MAN. May he culturally appropriate* and makes lots of money for many years to come.

Chapeau!
CooperativeSimilarGrosbeak-size_restricted.gif

*according to Jack's tweet

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Rant incoming.

Another food writer, Ella Risbridger has just released her second cookery book (although she has written a book for children and anthology of poetry previously). She has experienced a truly traumatic event in losing her partner prematurely (and writes about this on her SM) yet has managed to publish this book and is putting out another one for children next year.

Her content is varied. She suffered from covid earlier this year, but the theme is consistent- food and how it helps her manage her grief and MH. There are no chaoses. She promotes others, she doesnā€™t go off on tangents or brings others down who are in the same profession. She manages to do all this while navigating what could be argued one of the the hardest things to go through.

Jack, in stark contrast claims to have had the biggest trauma ~ever~. It has scarred her forever. I know trauma is subjective. I know we all deal with things differently, but there comes a time where we have to move on, where it is not healthy to live in the past, where to relive the event (however minor in the objective sense, but traumatic for the sufferer) is not helping. Jack must look around her and see that there are others in her field that have had it harder but are doing more and her drip feeding tweets about ā€œbiggest meeting everā€ or ā€œlook at all the work I have ever had ever in my life so thereā€ is just making her look like a petulant child.

But as it says on so many gym walls- nothing changes if nothing changes.
I absolutely love Ella Risbridger. The Secret Detective's protagonist is ND too, and it's portrayed so beautifully.
Also, every recipe I've ever done of hers has been delicious.

ETA What she went through with her partner was truly tragic. Heartbreaking. And there's no self pity, no wallowing, no throwing it in people's faces that don't agree with her.
She's a class act.

OK, I may have a teeeensy crush on her.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
This is such a good point. It is fear mongering. It really would not be difficult to share information about sources of help. I think this point has been made before, but her audience is not really those in need.
It wouldn't be difficult at all, she could actually help people by using her platform to signpost. But Jack is inherently selfish and wants to portray herself as a victim constantly, so we just get an eternal tale of woe from her, no help no hope.

She also wants the attention and the headlines so uses shock tactics to get that, putting out there graphic, awful descriptions and listing people who have died. She doesn't care about helping people at all, they don't matter to her. In Jack's world, only she matters.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I liked her Tweet yesterday when she said her dream job is doing what she does now but with an admin assistant or two. But she doesnā€™t make any money? How would she pay them and what on earth would she get these admin assistants to do all day? Pay her taxes? Pay the charity money? Upload more Slop onto the website? It blows my mind that she can spend so much time on Twitter and think sheā€™s working hard!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
I am still in the Go Henry rabbit hole. If you have had an account closed for whatever reason, possibly fraud, would this be on your record?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
I am still in the Go Henry rabbit hole. If you have had an account closed for whatever reason, possibly fraud, would this be on your record?
What is a ā€˜go Henryā€™? I feel completely out of the loop on this, for some reason I thought it was a tweeter. Or the infamous Walliams gif x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Just seen Laurence Fox has been ordered to pay legal fees in his current libel thing. Iā€™m amazed Jack hasnā€™t leapt out of bed to start salivating on Twitter, thinking it will somehow work for her. Iā€™m no fan, but I love thisā€¦.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
What is a ā€˜go Henryā€™? I feel completely out of the loop on this, for some reason I thought it was a tweeter. Or the infamous Walliams gif x
Itā€™s a debit card for children. She opened one pretending to be nine to manage her spending but outed her fraud on social media like the dopey mare she is

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.