Jack Monroe #313 You people are weird

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Happy birthday to THAT MAN!

Before he got the gig she felt entitled to, Jack was in fact a bit of a Jamie Oliver stan. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...19/jack-monroe-on-jamie-oliver-the-cooks-cook

View attachment 1297279

She even did a video for one of his YouTube channels - https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2014/05/09/ive-joined-the-foodtube-family-first-video-here/?amp=1

Would've thought she might not want it to still be up there, now thinks he's 'selling shite for his own profit margins'... Moral codes and that 🤷🏻‍♀️
OMFG! Guys, I went in. There’s so much. From the “Hi, I’m new so please be nice to me” to the “bish bash bosh” in the first 30 seconds. And the state of that knife she’s cutting the rhubarb with. And of course the nails. 🤢

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Jack (and I quote) 'fingered a leek' once. She actually has a disgusting and triggering way of writing about food.
Fingered a leek? Thumbed a chicken? What other digit action can we look forward to? Big-toed a turnip, pinky-wrangled a poussin (fancy) perhaps?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 57
Her house is council tax band F, £2681/year. On her street, in “one of the most deprived areas in the UK”, all the properties are between bands E-G.
Thought I’d better explain for non-UK readers: council tax bands are based on the value of your house in 1991. The bands are from A at the lowest to H at the highest. The higher your band the more you pay in council tax. At a band F, Jack lives in an above average house and pays an accordingly high rate of council tax, as do all her neighbours.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Rant incoming.

Another food writer, Ella Risbridger has just released her second cookery book (although she has written a book for children and anthology of poetry previously). She has experienced a truly traumatic event in losing her partner prematurely (and writes about this on her SM) yet has managed to publish this book and is putting out another one for children next year.

Her content is varied. She suffered from covid earlier this year, but the theme is consistent- food and how it helps her manage her grief and MH. There are no chaoses. She promotes others, she doesn’t go off on tangents or brings others down who are in the same profession. She manages to do all this while navigating what could be argued one of the the hardest things to go through.

Jack, in stark contrast claims to have had the biggest trauma ~ever~. It has scarred her forever. I know trauma is subjective. I know we all deal with things differently, but there comes a time where we have to move on, where it is not healthy to live in the past, where to relive the event (however minor in the objective sense, but traumatic for the sufferer) is not helping. Jack must look around her and see that there are others in her field that have had it harder but are doing more and her drip feeding tweets about “biggest meeting ever” or “look at all the work I have ever had ever in my life so there” is just making her look like a petulant child.

But as it says on so many gym walls- nothing changes if nothing changes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 84
Thought I’d better explain for non-UK readers: council tax bands are based on the value of your house in 1991. The bands are from A at the lowest to H at the highest. The higher your band the more you pay in council tax. At a band F, Jack lives in an above average house and pays an accordingly high rate of council tax, as do all her neighbours.
Or as the FB groups around me like to call it… poll tax 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Many moons ago in the 80's , my Geography undergraduate thesis was in regards to introduction of Poll Tax in Scotland 🔺.....spent weeks in my local library going through microfiche data of rateable values of properties in my local area!
the Scots detested the Tories for its introduction with rightful cause

• Heart
Happy birthday to THAT MAN!

Before he got the gig she felt entitled to, Jack was in fact a bit of a Jamie Oliver stan. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...19/jack-monroe-on-jamie-oliver-the-cooks-cook

View attachment 1297279

She even did a video for one of his YouTube channels - https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2014/05/09/ive-joined-the-foodtube-family-first-video-here/?amp=1

Would've thought she might not want it to still be up there, now thinks he's 'selling shite for his own profit margins'... Moral codes and that 🤷🏻‍♀️
“To be sure, he loves what he loves…”

What?

• Haha
Reactions: 31
All those jobs and she claims to be poor. Yeah right!

Ooh I’ve also reached VIP status.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Rant incoming.

Another food writer, Ella Risbridger has just released her second cookery book (although she has written a book for children and anthology of poetry previously). She has experienced a truly traumatic event in losing her partner prematurely (and writes about this on her SM) yet has managed to publish this book and is putting out another one for children next year.

Her content is varied. She suffered from covid earlier this year, but the theme is consistent- food and how it helps her manage her grief and MH. There are no chaoses. She promotes others, she doesn’t go off on tangents or brings others down who are in the same profession. She manages to do all this while navigating what could be argued one of the the hardest things to go through.

Jack, in stark contrast claims to have had the biggest trauma ~ever~. It has scarred her forever. I know trauma is subjective. I know we all deal with things differently, but there comes a time where we have to move on, where it is not healthy to live in the past, where to relive the event (however minor in the objective sense, but traumatic for the sufferer) is not helping. Jack must look around her and see that there are others in her field that have had it harder but are doing more and her drip feeding tweets about “biggest meeting ever” or “look at all the work I have ever had ever in my life so there” is just making her look like a petulant child.

But as it says on so many gym walls- nothing changes if nothing changes.
I agree totally with this post. Now going off on a slight tangent re: Jack's obsession with trauma and everything being terrible:

It sucks, especially when she drags other people into it. I was thinking about this a lot lately with her latest "campaign", which largely seems to consist of shouting that people will starve to death and that buying cheap products, meal planning etc are intensely difficult - far beyond the capabilities of the average person - and ultimately futile, because starvation is just around the corner.

The thing is, well, people in rich countries in western Europe don't tend to starve to death. There's a reason Jack has a list of names - those people made the news, precisely because their cases were unusual. What's more, there are always underlying conditions that made these people especially vulnerable; in many cases, these are MH-related, as the people actually died by suicide.

Now imagine having a public platform and using it to tell vulnerable people, over and over again, that they are going to starve to death, that the government wants them dead, that there are no solutions for them. This is not just callous in the extreme, it's also incredibly irresponsible.

Jack could use her platform to highlight resources - lists of food banks, explanations of how different projects work that can be daunting (those food banks require a referral, but these ones don't. This one you can only use three times, but here's a Sikh temple that will feed you every day etc etc), descriptions of apps like Too Good To Go, community initiatives that have been set up to help people...

In the absence of bigger picture MH service reform, these vulnerable people need clear, simple signposts. They need to be told that yes, they CAN access food, and here's how. Instead, they get Jack Monroe gleefully bleating about how the Tories are killing them. It's sick.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 80
Her house is council tax band F, £2681/year. On her street, in “one of the most deprived areas in the UK”, all the properties are between bands E-G.
Oh the deprivation, she could try selling matches on the cobbled streets of old sarfend

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
She's regressed! That JO video is actually ... pretty good? She's personable, confident in presenting, seems on top of the recipe and the science behind it. End result looks good. Poverty origin story kept to the bare (shelf) minimum. What happened???

Reactions: 48
Another forum I frequent 🔺 mentioned Jack today, one person saying she looked and sounded unhinged like she had just been forced out of bed only for someone else to reply asking 'what's a Jack Monroe?' :ROFLMAO:
🤣 I don’t know why, but that has really set me off

shame it’s so early

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
😬 I sometimes call it poll tax (I’m quite proud I moved on from “rates”), for full disclosure of my maverick non ADHD forensic puppy brain, I also sometimes call GCSEs, O’levels, year 11, 5th year and snickers marathons…I know what I mean 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
I’d love to see Jack try and hassle Boris. She might be a Narc, but he’s a Psychopath with a very carefully curated bumbling Boris persona, I’d give it 5 mins maximum before she’s off crying and screeching. The level of her delusion is incalculable if she thinks she could get verbally trip him up.’
Her public conversation with Lozza had her a mere husk, I dread to think how she would fare against the likes of Boris.

I love that she thinks he's scared of her, when in actual fact he often talks to some of the worlds more dangerous men ( other world leaders) who make her look like a meek kitten. She's totally deluded. He ignores her because he knows she has nothing of value in regards to solutions to help with the cost of living. He knows she full of bullshit!

• Haha
And what about her 46k emails - still being printed out I presume.
And weren't we going to be treated to a think piece today or yesterday? About something. duck knows what. It all merges together like slop being slow cooked for eight hours.

ETA just looked and she was going to write a searing and corruscating take down of That Man and his privileged stance on junk food whilst selling junk food.
Bet Jamie was quaking in his bleeping boots 😂
I assume there’s a big pile of empty folders on the floor, next to the box of clothes she was going to put on eBay, the postcards that need sending out… I could go on.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.