Jack Monroe #301 Jack Monroe Cheap and Cheerless

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's almost as if their training has taught them what works and what doesn't, the science behind it etc. That's why the food works. And it doesn't need to be fancy training. She could do a food tech course at a local college and learn loads
When the Pandemic was at its height, I had lay people telling me that my degree meant nothing and they know better than me because so and so on YouTube (also with no qualifications) said XYZ. Wanted to smash my head through a wall so much that I deleted social media for months.

Celeb Chefs - I feel your pain when she prattles on like this. Fist bump.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
The banality of it all omg

81C40118-BC22-4394-85E8-82EB9BDC4EF1.jpeg

CBB231A6-4872-43D0-81EC-BC167777A2F1.jpeg

F57A6947-326C-4949-97F7-827F825AA44E.jpeg

7F97C522-7D7A-4352-948B-95DBC6794CD4.jpeg

ps about to start work so will drop off, comrades pls secure the BTS content screen grabs 🙏🏻

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
I must own about seven or eight black Tshirts, and around the same in navy. Never realised it made
me so unique (just like everybody else).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
I’d just like to add in a gloating “nyaaahahahaha” at her publishers not considering her enough of a name to allocate any wardrobe budget for the shoot for a cover. Guess this is what happens when you’re over a year late on submitting the manuscript and your last book sold about 3000 copies.
Instead they're content for her to bring along a load of screwed up, dingy looking shirts. So much care and effort there!

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Don't most people have lots of similar looking clothing? I'm not autistic but I know what I feel good in. Black leggings, band t-shirts and shorts are pretty much all I wear. If I had a corporate job no doubt I'd have a selection of similar trousers, tops and skirts to wear. She's a tosser.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
She’s so poor she buys three of everything because of her fluctuating size? duck off you triggering, lying prick.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 72
When the Pandemic was at its height, I had lay people telling me that my degree meant nothing and they know better than me because so and so on YouTube (also with no qualifications) said XYZ. Wanted to smash my head through a wall so much that I deleted social media for months.

Celeb Chefs - I feel your pain when she prattles on like this. Fist bump.
if you go and look at Miguel’s Instagram I don’t think you need to be worried that he is feeling any pain about Jack at the moment.

It is place of pure joy.

Her Twitter is a cess pit of lies, making others feel pain and bigging herself up because she hasn’t got what she thinks she is owed.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
It's almost as if their training has taught them what works and what doesn't, the science behind it etc. That's why the food works. And it doesn't need to be fancy training. She could do a food tech course at a local college and learn loads
I think you can be self trained and still be a great cook, if you have a lot of interest in food and put time and effort into developing your skills and knowledge.
People don't just watch food programmes for the food though, they also watch for the lifestyle factor and/or personality of the presenter.
Unfortunately, Jack falls down in both areas.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 51
On the old catch up but why is the fact that grown up I assume twins but deffo siblings are dressing identical and why is this the least problematic part of the whole fantasy family meal 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 54
She’s so full of herself last night and today isn’t she. If she was an ice cream she’d lick herself. She’s so offensive when she’s full of ego. Saying ignorant things without a care in the world.

I’m a huge Nadiya fan. She is beautiful, gifted, but most importantly she just has such a lovely, genuine vibe about her. You can tell that she’s not trying to be anything other than who she is and she is at ease with herself. That makes her so wonderful and comforting to watch. You feel you are in good hands. That’s just how a TV cook should be imho. Jack just makes me feel uncomfortable, angry and vaguely terrorised.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 70
I think you can be self trained and still be a great cook, if you have a lot of interest in food and put time and effort into developing your skills and knowledge.
People don't just watch food programmes for the food though, they also watch for the lifestyle factor and/or personality of the presenter.
Unfortunately, Jack falls down in both areas.
Ina wasn’t formally trained in cooking.

Just saying. Obviously there are other examples, but if I can mention Ina, I will.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
She’s so full of herself last night and today isn’t she. If she was an ice cream she’d lick herself. She’s so offensive when she’s full of ego. Saying ignorant things without a care in the world.

I’m a huge Nadiya fan. She is beautiful, gifted, but most importantly she just has such a lovely, genuine vibe about her. You can tell that she’s not trying to be anything other than who she is and she is at ease with herself. That makes her so wonderful and comforting to watch. You feel you are in good hands. That’s just how a TV cook should be imho. Jack just makes me feel uncomfortable, angry and vaguely terrorised.
She also seems to be going through a tough time, but hasn’t said anything. She has just apologised for being absent, thanked those for the messages and promised that she would be back.

On the other hand, Jack, at the mere hint of a chaos, divulges everything in a 344 tweet long thread, without TW and we finally we get know that the fact she was born on the side of a dual carriageway on a Thursday is the reason she isn’t allowed on C4.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
I don’t want to sound patronising in this and it’s not meant nastily - but if OH is an older millennial or even gen Xer I don’t think it’s out of the question that he may just not be very “online” if you get what I’m saying? Like everyone is now online in some capacity but I don’t think every bloke I know would be able to execute a full digital CRB on someone or even be aware that someone could be an online scammer/grifter as surely you’d be inside for that? Like this is part of the problem isn’t it - when you’ve got ITV and the guardian co signing and legitimising her people stay naive to the grift and the lies.

You’d be devastated if it was your brother wouldn’t you 😪
True. My OH came off social media at the time of the Brexit vote because he realised his, largely remain, friends were the most undemocratic bunch of people he had come across. It is years now and he’s never had the urge to go back on. He is in his mid-40s.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
why does she keep pushing people to use sunflower oil, i suppose she hasn’t meticulously transcribed any news from Ukraine recently

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
Dear jack, may I suggest you go and try and buy sunflower oil, there is a war on where they make it and there isn't any. Btw, there is very little vegetable oil either. Regards. Wg

(I've ground sugar up before, I used to bake a lot and was always running out of icing sugar, the flour thing won't work for the reasons others have already said)

Reactions: 37
The banality of it all omg

View attachment 1253649
View attachment 1253650
View attachment 1253651
View attachment 1253652

ps about to start work so will drop off, comrades pls secure the BTS content screen grabs 🙏🏻
Her response to that pants comment shows she has no idea about autism.

My husband's cousin's son (close family so not as distant as it sounds) has autism and is now 10 and it's almost impossible to consistently get him to wear clothes. At home he is in his pants. At school he wears very specific clothes and still tries to strip off. They can barely go on a day out as a family in case he has a breakdown over his clothes. They only come to a select few family events for that reason.

As a 1 year old liking being naked is cute. As he gets to 13/15+ it's downright dangerous. His mum is terrified about him exposing himself when he gets older and getting in trouble with the police, or beaten up etc. The school are confident that with work they will get to a place where he'll be happy in clothes. But it's not about just liking being in your pants ffs.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 77
So many excellent food writers, chefs and culinary media personalities coming through the ranks haven't had 'classical training'. If Jack did any research, she'd see a lot of relative newcomers who are not from white backgrounds and have had to work extra bleeping hard to get noticed. And sadly, quite a few food writers who aren't white do come from relatively prosperous backgrounds. It's still really hard to get into the business if you are from a humble non-white background. The food world is massively overpopulated with white middle to upper-middle to upper-class women (her beloved Xanthe and Nigella are just two of them) as are the women who have published her. Some of them have absolutely had their wheels greased by privilege, but she is one of them now. She has access to commissioning editors and powerful blue tickers who signal-boost her work. This is privilege but unlike a lot of others, Jack doesn't really do anything to offer a leg-up to younger writers and cooks coming up behind her. At least Nigella does this. Jack isn't really interested in the intersectional, structural work that needs to be done.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.