Jack Monroe #301 Jack Monroe Cheap and Cheerless

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You may be right there. OH doesn't drink, we all thought AA but maybe for religious reason plus hanging out with his big family and talk about wanting a baby.

Mormon Jack will be a total mindfuck šŸ¤Æ
Mg I meant it as a joke but really, itā€™s either that or the Brethren

• Heart
Reactions: 19
absolutely OT but Iā€™m going to newcastle city centre next week and really looking for food/drinking recommendations from you ninnies if you have any? Thereā€™s a lot of delicious sounding Glaswegian places being named on the thread at the moment! Veggie (or Vegan if you like!) eateries, and a bonus question: Where does a late 30s Frau go for a good time on a Saturday night!? Plus any must sees as itā€™s my first time. Not asking for much I know!
A bit out of the centre in Sandyford, thereā€™s an amazing street called Starbeck Avenue which has a place called Scream for Pizza which does the best, well, pizza in toon. They also have a quayside branch called I Scream for Pizza which does pizza and ice cream (see what they did there!).

Also on Starbeck Avenue, Aidanā€™s Kitchen does the best brunch dishes (and cocktails). You definitely have to book at the weekend but I love it there on a Sunday morning/lunchtime.

I quite like the hipster vibes of the Ouseburn valley and thereā€™s an amazing little patisserie there called Dreamworld Cakes which is amazing - the couple who own it were on Bake Off The Professionals. They do lovely brunch dishes and afternoon teas as well as stunning patisserie goodies.

Khai Khai on the quayside does fantastic Indian food and I agree with the shout outs for Dabbawal and 21. Paniā€™s is another fave - they do incredible Sicilian food. Peace and Loaf is probably my favourite place to eat of all but isnā€™t cheap and gets booked up well in advance. Worth it though.

This is getting longer than I planned so Iā€™ll stop now!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
So the jeans and cardigan is what she was wearing when she got home!

What are the bets itā€™s stunt hair and a mega frilly princess dress for the book cover?

3AC8A811-9254-4215-BE0B-BFD903A35B11.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 34
I have got something pretty disturbing to say so I'll put it behind a spoiler. Please do not click if you're feeling at all delicate.

This will be as hard for you to read as it is for me to type. What if long hair 'n' headscarf Jack is part of some sort of sex role play she does with Harold? Slutty Sunday School Teacher and Randy Vicar or something similarly vile? What if there's a sex tape? What if she leaks it, like the Z-lister she is? We're all in danger.

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 63
With clothes (and being a person who has worked in fashion), it doesnā€™t matter how much something costs if you donā€™t know how to style and accessorise it. Some of the best fits Iā€™ve seen have came from high street brands, so itā€™s not all about having Tiffany earrings or the best of everything you just need a general sense of style.

Jack doesnā€™t. Jack lives in the black and white world of short hair = masculine and long hair = feminine, and she absolutely has no clue who she is or what her style is because she appropriates her entire personality and style from her partners. So going all stepford wife is just part of her mimicking what a good housewife with a male partner should look like. Next she will be lasering the tattoos, back on Mumsnet and pregnant. Give it six months.
Same, babe, so Iā€™ll know youā€™ll know that there was no way in hell anyone from a fashion or styling background was there. Standards are high af and ā€œindustryā€ people (eg people that love fashion and have creative talent, not just periphery tech gremlins) are immaculately turned out. If I wore that tragic tumble weave to work I know Iā€™d have been softly, gently helped in a matter of hours - thereā€™s no way anyone with her best interests at heart was at that shoot.

Like not even saying this to try to be funny this crispy number is the sort of thing you see in a gutter when youā€™re walking to work through Soho at 7am? Why tf did no one say anything?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Who mentioned stunt hair here hours earlier and now she's gone and done it? Am I going mad? What is going on? Help
ā€˜Twas me who posted that she looks better with long hair and short doesnā€™t suit her. Soz. I have jinxed us all šŸ™ƒ

• Haha
Reactions: 47
This may be slightly OT but Jack and her worldly knowledge (!) of all things ADHD and ASD made me think about it. I know there is an increase in adults (particularly women) getting ADHD/ASD assessments and diagnoses. This might be because more people are speaking out about their diagnosis and others think, ā€˜Mm, that sounds like me, I should get oneā€™. What happens if you have one and get an ā€˜officialā€™ diagnosis? I would assume all the same strategies to cope could be put into place as soon as you started researching it? Aside from ADHD meds, what else can a diagnosis do, practically I mean? Mentally it probably helps as you realise itā€™s not your poor timekeeping/laziness (going on common signs here), but actual brain differences.

I could assign myself with ADHD going by the signs but if I could also just be crap with time, canā€™t finish projects, canā€™t START projects, procrastinate etc. I also hate loud noise, like touching certain things in a repetitive way, donā€™t laugh when everyone else does, mostly wear black ā€¦ do I also have autism? I donā€™t know where Iā€™m going with this. As someone said above, itā€™s normal and human to worry the night before a big event. Thatā€™s not ā€˜crippling anxietyā€™.
Sorry really behind so not sure where this will land but I am currently trying to get a (I suspect) autism diagnosis for my 76 year old mum with the main reason apart from wanting to know the name of what had such an impact on my life is so that carers and other professionals are more understanding and can cope better with my mums behaviour. My mum hasn't changed, she's always been like this but as her health and mobility has declined its made coping with her even more difficult then it was before. I also wish in retrospect my brother since deceased had got one as I suspect it would have made a world of difference to the services and help he got. But I guess I will find out if it really makes a difference. All the social workers I speak to say not, but I suspect it does. Me rail over!

• Heart
Reactions: 41
You just know her house is the the whacky looking one on the street that's full of toot and smells like hemp and misery.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
jesus wept, I've got a bit of a grunk, but it seems this is all for our benefit, the tragic bean rinser that she is

all been mentioned here recently-ish

the debut-era taylor curls āœ…
the stunt hair āœ…
the billy burglar stance āœ…

seriously, concentrate on your job!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.