Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was kinda looking forward to the update regarding her choice of FSM for fifteen quid today. I was browsing Tesco online earlier with it in mind and reminiscing about Heinz Sandwich Spread (which, laughably, was an absolute blinding treat to us as kids...like posh salad cream) and own brand penguin bars. The cheap Kwik Save style ready salted crisps that were about 20 bags for fifty pence. I barely remember eating fruit as a kid and still have to force myself today because I am just not that keen.

Instead, another collection of strange pictures. I noticed the little pic in the corner is different so that is a bonus on the night. Not bothered about anyone’s bucket of flesh spread around on the interweb.....well, unless it is the one and only exception of Brad Pitt in his Snatch role. Then, I might pause a mo.

Reactions: 10
Person A: Has anyone tried the recipes from Good Food for Bad Days by Jack Monroe? I've had mixed results with her recipes in the past, not sure if
Person C: What's lasagne please x

Person A? Fine. Person C? WTF is wrong with you? And there are sooooo many of them...
Things that could be googled...ffs. Thus isn't strictly related but I hate people using 'x' as punctuation. Use a bloody full stop :cautious:

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I am allergic to chillies. It is an allergy to capsaicin in the seeds and flesh, I carry an EpiPen it is that severe an allergy. It is in so many ready meals and takeaways. You can not replicate the flavour, believe me I have tried.
Don't give up, Jack's on the case!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Can anyone remember Heinz Toast Toppers? I LOVED them when I was a teenager, it’s all I ever wanted for breakfast and tea when I got home but unfortunately they’ve gone from the shelves.

Pretty much like Spira’s, Fuses, Spring Onion Walkers and Campino sweets - up in supermarket heaven 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Can anyone remember Heinz Toast Toppers? I LOVED them when I was a teenager, it’s all I ever wanted for breakfast and tea when I got home but unfortunately they’ve gone from the shelves.

Pretty much like Spira’s, Fuses, Spring Onion Walkers and Campino sweets - up in supermarket heaven 😢
Yesssss! The cheese and ham one was dreamy. A bit like baby food, but salty 😂

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
These are the best shots I could get. Hope they are enough.
So I'm investigating - the images are too small I'm guessing to make use of pinterest lens, I've just found her insta to see if she's tagged it -

She doesn't seem to have even worn it on insta for a better shot! She does have her own clothing brand but again it's not featured there:

I'm guessing cos she's clearly creative (don't watch the show soz) she's either made it herself, it's from a small/indie maker, or a mate or something? Have you got insta to DM her? I'm wondering if you could source a similar fabric & find someone who can make you something similar? xx

edit: she HAS AN ETSY but it's currently empty! https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/NecropheliaClothing I'd keep an eye out here maybe? It'd make sense if she started listing bits she'd made for the show...?

• Heart
Reactions: 5

O M G Heinz Toast Toppers................. I had totally forgotten about them, I loved them!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I am allergic to chillies. It is an allergy to capsaicin in the seeds and flesh, I carry an EpiPen it is that severe an allergy. It is in so many ready meals and takeaways. You can not replicate the flavour, believe me I have tried.
This would be my nightmare, how awful for you 😭 People think plant-based diets are hard but I couldn’t imagine this or a nut allergy (especially on top!) makes avoiding animal products look like a walk in the park.

Reactions: 5

I was on poundstrecher the other day and they had these sweets wrapped liked Campino. I took a punt, but alas, they were just strawberry boiled sweets.
Tayto do a good spring onion crisp.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I've Grunkad my way here again.

I'm so fucked off with the shaming of those food parcels. They're there to replace the 5 lunches the kids would be receiving if they were in school, it's not supposed to be a week of food ffs. There is nothing wrong with sandwich, fruit and a yoghurt. Or jacket, beans and cheese.
I actually think that sending the makings of sandwiches is the best option because
1) No cooking required
2) Kids can make them if the parent is unable
3) Quite a universally accepted food (although I know there are kids who won't eat sandwiches)
4) Easy to incorporate things you might already have at home (add a packet of crisps, some crudités, bowl of soup, etc)

Also, people are saying it's not enough food for older kids. It is. It's enough food for an adult for a week of lunches. As I've said before, in an ideal world it's not the lunches you'd choose for your kids. I would love mine to be eating a homemade soup filled with lovely veg, but this is the real world and there is a global pandemic. Those food parcels are an absolute God send to some families right now, and shaming them for needing what these arseholes are calling such basics is gross.

THIS!!! When I watched Jamie Oliver's lockdown show, I really noticed how much he showcased the food he had made and couldn't wait to tuck in. Quite often it showed the family sitting down for dinner and he'd ask the kids if they were enjoying it. Even on the couple of shows he recorded in a studio before lockdown, he was eating the food with proper "Ohhhh yum".
As a complete contrast, when Jack makes any food on screen she doesn't talk about it, doesn't showcase it, seems disinterested, just plonks it down off camera. It's bizarre. I feel like Jamie makes food he loves, whereas Jack makes food with an attitude of proving she can overcome a challenge or something.

We eat so much broccoli (6 heads a week) and cauliflower (2 heads a week) and I feel really guilty about this now. Sorry! I haven't had any problems though, I get a weekly order and it's always there.
I really loved watching Buddy Oliver cooking on the lockdown shows, also how he kept saying make sure you have a responsible adult supervising. The food looked yum.😉

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.