Jack Monroe #248 Let's face it, she's the Rachel Dolezal of poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
if she's spending every waking hour writing prices of budget food in high-end diary's, it's little wonder she's got no time to get a job. i do not know a single soul who has this much free time on their hands.
and surely if her home economics were SO good, she would/could be invited to SB's school to give budgeting advice to the (proportion of) 35% of children in poverty within that area?
She's gone on one of the biggest point proving missions i've ever seen, and yet it all seems to be completely and utterly pointless. She isn't actually assisting anyone, nor is she coming up with any solutions. neither she, as the pied piper of poverty, or any of her followers/blue tick enablers, have the slightest clue what it's like to be on the bones of your arse wondering how you're going to make it through to your next wage/social security payment. it's embarrassing that people who have so much, know so little about those who don't, and therefore take as gospel every horrible word she tweets.

the fact she has committed to doing so much work on this yet finds the time to tweet every single action she takes is mindboggling. this is all kind of apropos of nothing, i just needed to get it off my chest before i die.
I’m pretty sure her whole argument has now become: “every supermarket in the world should have 20p pasta on the shelves at all times. And don’t forget other staple foods such as anchoiade.”

• Haha
Reactions: 50
It is all so easy to debunk. I'm on my lunch hour and this has taken 5mins using her 2015 figures as comparison:

Asda
Lettuce 50p now 42p
Lemons (5) 22p now 20p
Lard 250g 45p now 39p
Lemon curd 250g 25p now 65p
Lasagne sheets 500g 35p now 375g 79p but pasta 500g available at 70p
Lemon juice 250ml 55p now 39p

Tesco
Lettuce now 42p
Lemons now 54p for 4 so 13.5p
Lard now 39p
Lemon curd now 65p for 400g
Lasagne sheets now 500g 70p but pasta 500g available at 29p
Lemon juice now 60p

So apart from lemon curd they have mostly gone down. I never understood her lemon curd obsession anyway. Stirring it into rice does not a Chinese sweet and sour make.

God she is so annoying

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
I'm enjoying this grunker after being stressed by the Jack smugness.

The food bank discussion - I donate with a large portion of passive aggression. Donate great pile of undesirable tins , tell everyone about it on social media and also say I have no money.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
She's annoyed me so much today, she's sent me into the arms of my downfall (Dairy Milk with popping candy out the vending machine at work). I can't tell you what the price increase is because I scoff it and then pretend it didn't happen. No forensic brain over here.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
It is all so easy to debunk. I'm on my lunch hour and this has taken 5mins using her 2015 figures as comparison:

Asda
Lettuce 50p now 42p
Lemons (5) 22p now 20p
Lard 250g 45p now 39p

Tesco
Lettuce now 42p
Lard now 39p
Lemon juice now 60p

So apart from lemon curd they have mostly gone down. I never understood her lemon curd obsession anyway. Stirring it into rice does not a Chinese sweet and sour make.

God she is so annoying
she truly is.

perhaps controversial, but i'd rather keep foodbanks open, where decent people can donate decent quality food, rather than closing foodbanks and expecting every poor person to eat smart-price food forever.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
What also pisses me off is all the talking about the poor (often weirdly stereotyped as well) rather then asking them. Not just Jack Monroe but all her defenders that come flying in if you dare disagreeing with her.

• Heart

Asda
Lettuce 50p now 42p
Lemons (5) 22p now 20p
Lard 250g 45p now 39p

Tesco
Lettuce now 42p
Lard now 39p
Lemon juice now 60p

God she is so annoying
Will you please try to remember Thorpe Bay last Wednesday at 4pm!

• Haha
Reactions: 38
i don't think we need to fear. i read steve's "happy to share..." tweet as being a bit snarky and, until i saw the follow-up, "steve's listening", i thought jack was being snarky and pass agg back. i was clearly giving her too much credit!

i can't wait for him to ping over his Facts and Data! 😏

he can ping me anytime etc...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
We've had an odd lack of pinging from Ms Monroe recently. Perhaps it's only in her vocabularly when she's not got herself into an unbridled narcissistic froth.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
So 35% of her local community live in poverty & Asda stock goods according to that (meaning they won’t have 100% of the cheaper ranges as 65% aren’t necessarily demanding them?)
Groundbreaking.
Since when did Jack decide supermarkets are charities & that poor people supplying/picking/packing food should be squeezed so that she can buy 1p lemon curd?
Weird she never has a go at retailers like Cotswold or John Lewis selling £300 coffee machines when cheaper ones are available & they’re preying on her ‘shiny shiny magpie’ tendencies?
Charlatan.

• Heart
  • Sad
Out of her entire stupid Smartprice list I might have bought peanut butter and possibly flour when I was very poor for a while. I lived off what I now realise is where she copied lingreenie from...

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/world-s-most-elegant-winter-pasta/

A Savoy cabbage was 50p and pasta was 20p or something like that (I don't keep LITERAL RECEIPTS!) and they always always had reduced fancy cheese in the deli for like 30p. It's almost as if she has no bleeping idea.

Reactions: 32
I buy my sibling one for Christmas every year and they definitely cost this much. The plain ones are never on sale either.

This comes from Jack who definitely in the past has said she has never finished a notebook before.
She's so creative and adaptable she could make her own with bramley mouse skin

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Coming out of lurking because I’m so confused by this. I work with large amounts of numbers daily (more tax return adjacent than CPI admittedly) and I have no idea what the point of this project is? Why are so many people buying into this and retweeting without any critical thought?
The fact that things are going to get much worse for people definitely is worth talking about. But not this s1 maths group homework. It’s no surprise that supermarkets in different areas carry different products, often at different prices. This is basic supply and demand economics.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.