Jack Monroe #248 Let's face it, she's the Rachel Dolezal of poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"You can't be an empathetic and effective midwife unless you've given birth"
"You can't be an empathetic and effective oncologist unless you've had cancer"
"You can't be an empathetic and effective mental health nurse if you've never been mentally ill"
"You can't be an empathetic and effective housing officer unless you've been homeless"

"You can't be an empathetic and effective poverty campaigner unless you've been poor"

Doesn't work, DOES IT JACK. Bloody simpleton.

Personal experience can impair the development of true empathy when it's constantly used as a tentpole for your argument. It shuts down others (and we've seen Jack use her 'experiences' as a weapon to shut others up too many times.)
I also think that too often the personal story, which can be great as a case study or hook in the media trumps overall statistics. Politicians and policymakers should care about the trends in poverty/affordability/employment/health data without having a personal story to connect to it.

Honestly, I hate it when those in charge only start to care about (I am just picking a randon example here) waiting lists in hospitals when their favourite aunty sufffered from it. You should have cared about it already if waiting lists in hospitals are a thing you have an influence on.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Personal experience of the issues you deal with in your role (whatever that is) does NOT mean you will be automatically better than a colleague who has not had those experiences. It is not a guarantee.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Has she disappeared up her own arse yet?
Doing BIG IMPORTANT work right this moment actually.
(Choosing a clip-art picture of a poor person for her front page and selecting size 14 font with double space to beef out the shopping list, sorry I mean index)

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I think sometimes in order to do the job you do need to have some emotional detachment. Doesn't make you any less empathetic.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
If all that comes from this is Jack doing big money adverts for Iceland I won't know whether to laugh or cry.
Nah, the economics editor at the FT is just quietly, gently pitching to the big boss a non payment of tax article featuring a smol pixie and a large bill

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Can someone PLEASE explain to her how supermarkets decide what to stock and where?

IF IT DOESNT SELL WHY WOULD THEY STOCK IT? Are you THICK?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Can someone PLEASE explain to her how supermarkets decide what to stock and where?

IF IT DOESNT SELL WHY WOULD THEY STOCK IT? Are you THICK?
By the same coin, I want to know why Thorpe Bay ASDA doesn't stock foie gras because I can afford it and I live there (I don't.) Why isn't every supermarket selling every single thing at every single price point?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Lucky old me... I'm in possession of a tin of Scarlet Pimpernel (Asda)smart price peaches, and a jar of the Invisible Man (Sainsburys) marmalade formerly known as the basics range.
Might leave them unopened and keep them as heirlooms.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 62
Lucky old me... I'm in possession of a tin of Scarlet Pimpernel (Asda)smart price peaches, and a jar of the Invisible Man (Sainsburys) marmalade formerly known as the basics range.
Might leave them unopened and keep them as heirlooms.
Get them on eBay, postage £45.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.