Jack Monroe #248 Let's face it, she's the Rachel Dolezal of poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Screenshot_20220128-134023_Twitter~2.jpg

I love how they've got to reference the most vulnerable, because otherwise what they're saying makes no bloody sense! Southend appears to have all the shops you'd expect in a reasonably sized town, except Jack refuses to accept the existence of Aldi and Lidl.

Where I grew up, basically the village from This Country, that was an actual food desert, as often happens in rural places. Even so, a bus gets you to Aldi or Morrisons.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
This seems to be the first time that Jack's realised that supermarkets stock different things in different areas? God she's dim. My mum lives in NW London, all her local supermarkets have a kosher aisle. If they don't have a kosher aisle in their stores elsewhere, is that an antisemitic conspiracy or is it just basic business sense?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Dresserman is sharing his data with her to reveal just how wrong she is. He's probably sick of Jackolyte attacks though, I don't blame him if he doesn't rise to the bait publically.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
What’s Big Maths?

Is it writing the sin rule in big, curly letters on the first page of your squared paper exercise book or something?

So we’ve gone from granular maths to Big Maths. She really needs to stop. She is making herself look idiotic.

(Mathematics is beautiful though and those who devote their lives to writing equations on boards are 😘. I mean, whoever discovered imaginary numbers must have been a bit off the wall)
They were an engineer who needed an equation to work

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 13.52.39.png

Who was it who predicted an accusation of mansplaining? The squigs have gone there. How dare *checks notes* the editor of the FT tweet about economic news?

Also, if I have to read the phrase "lived experience" once more today, I shall perish. Anecdotes =/= data, even in quantity.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 83
Does she actually think her notebooks have evidential value? And how does the purchase of moleskine notebooks in 2015 fit into the poverty timeline?

I am speculating here, but imagine someone submitting an article to the FT, FT then fact check it, take legal advice on any potentially libellous claims, approach the supermarkets for their right of reply, and then softly, gently, tell the author the article can't be published as it's all bullshit hence sparking a narc meltdown?
Imagine if the notebooks are discovered by a historian in a 100 years time as part of a look back on food prices. “So all my research points to the fact that the Asda in Thorpe Bay had some of the best basic range food prices over the period 2012-2022 in the Uk. 20p for pasta is astonishing. It’s actually been the same price for 120 years. But these moleskin diaries seem to throw all my calculations into utter confusion. I just can’t understand it at all?”

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Is any example of a man explaining something now called "mansplaining"?
Apparently so. It devalues the phrase to meaninglessness so it's not effective when we actually need to use it. Feminism 0, Squigs 1.

Just for goodness sake, squigs, Chris Giles, editor of the FT, long time economist, lover of numbers, is not mansplaining for discussing data.

• Angry
Reactions: 47
if she's spending every waking hour writing prices of budget food in high-end diary's, it's little wonder she's got no time to get a job. i do not know a single soul who has this much free time on their hands.
and surely if her home economics were SO good, she would/could be invited to SB's school to give budgeting advice to the (proportion of) 35% of children in poverty within that area?
She's gone on one of the biggest point proving missions i've ever seen, and yet it all seems to be completely and utterly pointless. She isn't actually assisting anyone, nor is she coming up with any solutions. neither she, as the pied piper of poverty, or any of her followers/blue tick enablers, have the slightest clue what it's like to be on the bones of your arse wondering how you're going to make it through to your next wage/social security payment. it's embarrassing that people who have so much, know so little about those who don't, and therefore take as gospel every horrible word she tweets.

the fact she has committed to doing so much work on this yet finds the time to tweet every single action she takes is mindboggling. this is all kind of apropos of nothing, i just needed to get it off my chest before i die.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
I just don’t understand what point she’s trying to make. Everyone agrees food prices are rising, for a myriad of reasons. Everyone agrees price rises hit the poorest hardest. What does she want? (We know - FAME!!).

Here you go Jackie, lots of lovely info for you. Maybe if you ask nicely Which will let you sit at a big girl’s desk and do some colouring in.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I’ve just seen her Newcastle/10 hours to pick up a pack of spaghetti post and actually started laughing to myself. I cannot believe someone in the public eye like this is even formulating that sentence, typing it out, and pressing DONE.

I need some jam but sadly the 39p ones in my local Tesco have been discontinued. I SHAN’T go to Asda, Morrisons, Lidl, Iceland, Aldi, B&M, Co-Op, or the millions of corner shops and Tesco expresses in my town to find some. I will drive to Manchester and find some there instead. #jackshack

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
Didn't supermarkets just rebrand value ranges to make them more appealing? Didn't they also bring in tertiary brands so it's still a value range at an entry price point but doesn't look like it? So yes, there will be less smartprice items because simply, they're just not called smartprice anymore? Basically the big supermarkets saw what Aldi and Lidl do, saw their popularity increase and wanted a bit of it so integrated it to their business model to retain customers?

I still sometimes use my fingers to count and my business education starts and ends with watching The Apprentice scoffing biscuits so not an expert.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.