Jack Monroe #248 Let's face it, she's the Rachel Dolezal of poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Man, I've set aside this time to be out exercising - but I don't want to miss the chaos! Talk about first world problems..
I need to actually go and to some work soon or I’ll need to work tomorrow and am gutted I will miss such a great real time chaos

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
If she is as disorganized as we suspect - her personal tax return is probably also late. Without accounts she can’t complete it

Max penalties for that can be up to £1200 for a year late. There is a 3 month period of daily £10 penalties which rack up.
It’s hard to estimate penalties without knowing what her tax bill is as surcharges are based on 10% of unpaid tax. Over a year she could pay an additional 20% or unpaid tax as well as £200 in fines.
Also the companies house fines which are in the 1000s now after two years late.
In short, she could owe thousands in late fees and penalties and interest if she hasn’t paid her tax or done her returns.
And yet she’s arguing with the economics editor of the FT.

• Haha
Reactions: 60
Chris Giles keeps calming pointing out the facts while Jack gets increasingly rude, snippy and nonsensical.
Maybe she can sense it all slipping away from her.
She really is an expert in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Haha
Reactions: 70
Apparently even if Jack is completely wrong it will valuable to discuss why she's completely wrong 🙄

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 11.08.38.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
Chris Giles keeps calming pointing out the facts while Jack gets increasingly rude, snippy and nonsensical.
Maybe she can sense it all slipping away from her.
She really is an expert in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I never understand why she argues with people who clearly know more, not everyone is a Tory poor hating monster. Some people actually have this has their "proper job"

By all means highlight but then sit the duck down so people can see redcar facts!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
And yet she’s arguing with the economics editor of the FT.

Ahhh but her "hunch" is as good as his (I suspect Giles isn't basing his tweets on a "hunch") because she went to a food bank once, and hoards ancient supermarket receipts.

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 11.11.10.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 64
I’m not going to start buying the FT but I will look at it admiringly when I see it in the wild in Chrismate’s honour.

(I used to work in an office that got multiple copies of the FT every day - seems like olden days now)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
The problem with Jack is I think she’s an insecure narcissist who spends her whole life opportunistically trying to find ways to control your opinion of her so that she is fed the attention and validation she dearly needs.

I think some of the work she’s highlighting is a good thing and I commend it - but I don’t feel it’s a cause she’s passionate about because of the cause - she’s passionate solely about the validation. This is just her most passionately successful grift to garner attention. You can tell the ones that are passionate about the cause more than themselves; they aren’t posting selfies all the time and they are too busy fighting the cause to make themselves the victim.

I have friends who care about many things deeply and I also have friends who are narcissists and their Instagram is just constant pictures of themselves. I can tell the difference.

• Heart
Reactions: 72
I think a problem Jack is going to encounter here is that for a decade she’s relied on extremely emotive, “lived experience” type fabrications recollections of her time in poverty, and it has generally been impactful and flies even with many academics, as noted by the fawning I see on Twitter 🤢.

Quantitative types are a different breed*, I’ve watched people in my department who’re doing economics stuff be literally brought to tears in the Q&A sessions after presentations by professors picking apart their methods and calculations. Jack honestly hasn’t got the chops for this sort of work. She’s not smart enough in the first place (no criticism there: nor am I… hence I do not do numbers), but even if she was she’s just not capable of taking critique to improve what she’s done anyway.

*not that there aren’t wankers and angels in all circles, of course.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.