Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hope Iā€™m allowed to do this as itā€™s from the last thread and is quoting a Tattle userā€¦

But yes actually I know Hunger by Knut Hamsun quite well. I studied him when I was at university doing Scandinavian Studies, I still have my copy from yonks ago and the comparison is hilarious šŸ˜‚ I would take photos but my possessions are currently with a domestically violent ex partner. He thinks itā€™s ā€œsadā€ that Tattle is my hobby, I think itā€™s fun and a bit of a distraction until you get so pissed off you actually post!

Please mods donā€™t ban me for not quite knowing all the rules yet. If this post is not allowed please feel free to delete.
Also quoting myself, the bone. Of a chicken if I recall correctly. He kept gnawing and gnawing. Like our smol pixie on a stock cube šŸ™„

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Any chance the Spectator is going to run its own version Jack? To reach non Mirror and Observer readers?

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I'm too lazy to go find the exact post, but one of the things that irritates me most about the recent chaos was in her original thread lamenting the disproportionate effect of inflation on the poorest (not untrue to be fair to her!) a squig replied to one of the pricings saying something like "You can get that cheaper in lidl". Was her response to retweet that in order to help people find the cheapest food? Nope, she just replied to the squig saying (something like) "Lidl is too far from me".

Even in her big polemic about helping the poorest she just can't get away from that "me me me" mentality.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 69
She completely missed the trick by steering clear of Aldi and Lidl. Unless of course, they did their homework and wouldn't touch her with a barge pole (and told her so too!). Hence her ignoring them.
Imagine her tales if she went in Aldi or Lidl? The nasty stereotyping quips sheā€™d come out with, then theyā€™d of course be the inevitable drama of some sorts. A tutting man saying ā€œif she can afford Lacura moisturiser she should put the Choco break biscuits back for the genuinely poorā€ or how the shifty hooded jacket wearing person bumped into her and she didnā€™t realise until sheā€™d gotten home but now her purse has disappeared.
Followed by the squigs praising her for being such a brave lamb for venturing into a shop that serves ā€œthose sortsā€.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 53
Further light relief because I think we've collectively reached our limit, a very cheap shot from my painfully hipster self but if you're going to be all waaaaah about food prices don't use a example like this?
My friends donā€™t do this sort of thing. And at least one of them is a journo, several involved in local politics etc.
who does this? Who are these people?

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I do wonder if j1g increased at the same rate , also go to bleeping Aldi Ā£4 bus fare or not itā€™s the cheapest

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
My friends donā€™t do this sort of thing. And at least one of them is a journo, several involved in local politics etc.
who does this? Who are these people?
Tunnel dog is my only friend and at the moment she isnā€™t talking to me because of ~guardian rant~ so I canā€™t comment.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
I think I've said before that my local Morrisons is about 30 mins from where I live. Thankfully my Aldi is closer but if it wasn't....... I'd just walk. Lots of people don't mind a 45 minute walk if it means the weekly shop is tonnes cheaper.

Fraus, she's everywhere. Researching extensively šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 41
She's written for the Graun... sorry if it's already been posted
The Guardian: Weā€™re pricing the poor out of food in the UK ā€“ thatā€™s why Iā€™m launching my own price index.
Oh god noooo. I check in, to have a lil grunk on page 11, it's half ten and there's 27 pages. šŸ˜± šŸ˜­
Edit to add: Jack and the Graun are ideally suited tbh, always on the bloody beg and both are miles richer than me!!

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I mean what even are her top tips for low budget cooking? Aside from buying loads of yellow sticker produce you don't need and blending it all into slop? And making swaps like mince beef for corned beef which is actually more expensive per gram.

Genuinely I cannot think of a single budgeting tip. Am I being dense?
She once suggested salad bag pesto i.e chopping sad/wilting salad leaves up with raw garlic and putting in a jar with olive oil then putting it over pasta like you could pesto. Spaghetti with bits of lettuce doesnā€™t sound appetising or like pesto. Lettuce is not interchangeable with basil and the pesto flavour is also from the pine nuts and Parmesan. I thought that was a waste of olive oil tbh.

• Sick
Reactions: 38
I haven't read the Jack pages for a long long time but I've just been served her article on Facebook and it's the same old tit. She's still an insufferable hypocrite.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Also letā€™s play this forward - Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve turned dumb reading her tit or if this makes any sense so pls correct me -

If her index continues to cite that the basics have gone up 334% across the board from food to rents to utilities, surely this means she has to advocate for a 334% increase to minimum wage / all wages really? So just using the example from this gov site (canā€™t embed link neatly annoyingly sorry but source: https://www.gov.uk/minimum-wage-different-types-work/paid-an-annual-salary) of someone on min wage earning Ā£1,421 pcm - this now needs to be Ā£6,167 to buy the same basket of goods/lifestyle they could *last year*?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Sorry for going OT but for anyone finding Jack too much. thereā€™s always the Food and Drink thread. Which is a mixture of all sorts of food chat, pet photos and a panda vs koala discussion

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.