Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Will the Boots Index happen?

• Yes, absolutely! x (With Jack involved)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Yes, but with Jack as some kind of figurehead only (burnout etc)

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • No, it’s a stupid idea and people will realise this

Votes: 36 11.7%
  • No, but people will think it did and thank Jack for it (FSM, DW novel exposé etc)

Votes: 255 82.5%

• Total voters
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Title by @ecdb

Please keep thread title nominations until the end of the thread and remember no swearing and to add ‘thread title’ or ‘thread title nomination’ etc

Pink button is the wiki for newbies.

Jack right now -

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
I feel like I should add in a reminder that Jack monroe, director of on a bootstrap LTD hasn’t paid her taxes yet. Just in case any newbies or FT journos read this!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 108
I watched the programme about the police not catching the Grindr killer. So many people tried to raise the alarm. I feel like this about Jack- why do so many people not see the grift when hundreds have (and have found their way here).

I have been reading along the last few days but a bit lost for words. Love to you all.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 69
Blurst- regarding uniforms, many round here (inc academies) are changing to more traditional ones (much to the fury of parents- quite rightly) that cannot be bought from supermarkets. Kilts and jumpers with logos on etc. These are then even more expensive than the inflated supermarket priced basic ones.

The fact that this isn’t even on her radar just goes to show how narrow her view is regarding inflation/pricing issues and it’s impact on society today.

• Sad
Reactions: 65
I have muted Jack Monroe from my twitter timeline. It’s just lovely. They can all tweet at each other in their own echo chamber and my blood pressure remains normal.

• Heart
Blurst- regarding uniforms, many round here (inc academies) are changing to more traditional ones (much to the fury of parents- quite rightly) that cannot be bought from supermarkets. Kilts and jumpers with logos on etc. These are then even more expensive than the inflated supermarket priced basic ones.

The fact that this isn’t even on her radar just goes to show how narrow her view is regarding inflation and it’s impact on society today.
That’s a really good point about uniforms. I agree with having them as I went to a grammar school and when we had a non uniform day the really rich girls were kitted out in this amazing designer gear so by having uniforms it wasn’t as noticeable all the time. However uniforms are so expensive now. There should be some sort of cap on the price.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Mr F has just innocently said ‘I see your mate is all over the place’ and I grunted and he said ‘well it’s a good thing she’s highlighting’ and it has led to a huge row and me ranting and now the atmosphere is frosty.

ah well long term readers will know that this frees up my Saturday morning for more grunking.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 94
Desperate (not) to see the workings of the Vimes hive mind inside that ‘working group’. Wonder if they realise it will become a shirking group when Jack gets bored and feigns a dramatic collapse of some sort? What will it be this time, leprosy maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
TBF most schools in my region actually have second hand shops within the school for uniforms. They do it every term.

Again I also think sometimes better budgeting needs to happen.

For example a lady I knew growing up was poor and even when her children had grown up she had her money saved in small change in a few pots. She got her pension and put X amount in each pot for various things. She had extremely basic stuff, but ate well and had decent enough clothes and a clean house

Reactions: 29
Finally caught up. You've all said it much better than I could as ME/CFS makes me feel slow and inarticulate these days. I just feel despairing that after 10 years people are still lapping up her bullshit and giving her a platform from which the square root of duck all will be achieved... other than lining her pockets.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Will she factor in people with dietary requirements? I've been placed on a low FODMAP Diet and I'm really struggling with how expensive it is. $ 7-9 AUD for a loaf of bread! There are lots of children on special diets and my god, I feel for the parents. I only have to buy for myself and I'm finding it really hard.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52

The fact that this isn’t even on her radar just goes to show how narrow her view is regarding inflation/pricing issues and it’s impact on society today.
it’s the same where i am - even down to dictacting which brand of trainers they need for PE (this is a state school 🤯)

her view just doesn’t extend past what immediately affects her, does it

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Mr F has just innocently said ‘I see your mate is all over the place’ and I grunted and he said ‘well it’s a good thing she’s highlighting’ and it has led to a huge row and me ranting and now the atmosphere is frosty.

ah well long term readers will know that this frees up my Saturday morning for more grunking.
quoting myself like a ninny but actually it was really horrid and I got myself almost tearful like kids do when they can’t express themselves properly and made worse by the fact that I do generally agree about how awful it is for people in need. Normally Mr F is a bit further to the right than me so it feels all wrong. I’m furious that I’ve let her get to me like this. I stepped away but I came back because I love and miss you fab lot but I’m going again. I know, not an airport.

can someone please summon me when we’re back to slop?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 74

Dear Tunnel, you are doing the work for her again.

I reckon she’ll suddenly think about including school uniforms today 🙄
I have muted Jack Monroe from my twitter timeline. It’s just lovely. They can all tweet at each other in their own echo chamber and my blood pressure remains normal.
Me too. Lowered my blood pressure considerably. All the retweets of her own tweets - just exhausting.

If I want to know what batshittery she’s up to, I’ll come here.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Sudden realisation this morning that the sort of ink and paper used for receipts isn't stable. That tit fades, and any sort of moisture on the paper damages it too.

How likely are these 10+ years old receipts of one person's household which has fluctuated in size, location, wealth, changing culinary tastes and so many more variables going to yield any useful data?

The narcisism to believe that your shopping receipts hold any meaningful information. 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 60
Doesn’t everyone just buy secondhand uniform from the PTA stall?
Yes, but it's actually been quite hard during pandemic (no stall). Our schools were good and just gave donated items directly to families who needed them.

Anyway, as this thread proves time and time again, things are complicated and often nuanced. For people without kids, school uniforms are irrelevant. Vegans don't care about the price of sardines. What everyone deserves is a safe, warm place to live, good quality, healthy food and a few things that make life enjoyable.

• Heart
It is horrid when something we care so deeply about affects us in other ways. It is obvious from our posts that the last few days have made us all want to keep on to make others see the light but it is also obvious that we feel dejected that this is happening all over again.

❤ to whoever needs it. Muting helps. Leaving helps. Chocolate buttons (giant) sometimes help. Loudhailers at 5.30am definitely do not help 😂.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Sudden realisation this morning that the sort of ink and paper used for receipts isn't stable. That tit fades, and any sort of moisture on the paper damages it too.

How likely are these 10+ years old receipts of one person's household which has fluctuated in size, location, wealth, changing culinary tastes and so many more variables going to yield any useful data?

The narcisism to believe that your shopping receipts hold any meaningful information. 🤣
The receipts that were trashed in the recent burglary?

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.