Jack Monroe #23 Life would be so much easier if everyone was a chronic optimist.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I liked the glasses I thought it was a bit of fun and showed her relaxed and relatable
I think I would have found the glasses bit more fun had she been organised with the rest of her set. When dressing her filming set for a cookery based segment for which she was being paid ( and knowing that for various reasons , would be under scrutiny), I find it very odd that she remembered to hang up her onion glasses ( which I don’t remember her needing to using in any other of her filmed sections ) but forget to bring in a sharp knife, pan etc. To me, it seemed too “ look at how quirky I am” and not genuine. If she had everything else to hand, and had just said something like oh wait a minute, I’m just grabbing my onion goggles- I know they might look a bit out there but I find my eyes are easily irritated by cutting onions. My friend gave me these , and I find them a really handy kitchen tool. Also, they remind me a bit of me- a bit maverick, not to everyone’s taste but serving a purpose to those who need them” , then I would have found it funny, which in terms would have made me look at the rest of her live in a more generous manner 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 28
I'm 6ft and just can't got over the height thing. Hottest guy in the world could be at my table and I'd be swooning but he stood up and was shorter than me, instant nope. Believe me I've tried. Nothing kills the mood like feeling someones toes hitting your shin mid shag. Can't do it.
Wait...what? How tall is he? Have I missed this?

Seeing this article has made me feel really guilty for being a bit mean about her on here. She has had some real tit thrown at her from various angles in her time. You see, for me, she's like a sore tooth or an annoying sibling, I keep going back to play/annoy. She has done some great anti-poverty stuff and she still does great stuff for food banks, so I just want to be fair to her and say, that although she annoys the heck out of me, I do see the good she has done. Although, I also think most of the things said about her here are valid and largely reasonable.

Also, I'm sorry you had to go through this too.
Yes and no. I’ve had to unfollow her from all socials because not only do I realise she lies but actually it’s a bit more destructive. As may have been seen from me having a stomp earlier, her whole woman saviour act has really gotten to me. People look to her for guidance (the right and wrong of that can be debated) and she has blatantly disregarded morals for money...so it now feels like she does stuff for food banks simply because she can’t get out of it anymore.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Wait...what? How tall is he? Have I missed this?
diddy. I didn't measure him 🤣🤣🤣 so not sure exact height. I'm 5ft 10 and i would guess he was a good 4 or 5 inches shorter than me.
Like i said, I was a bit tipsy so my judgement maybe off but he was definitely shorter thsn I'd expected!!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
While I didn’t see the show, I saw her pics of the remodelled “dining room” filming set. That has most definitely been done by Hellmann’s. In Hellmann’s colours FFS, I mean that’s hardly a coincidence is it. And the proliferation of carefully placed Hellmann’s products was such that even her devoted followers were taking the piss.
Also, the configuration of the room has completely changed since she “revealed” it on Insta - the sideboard thing has been moved to centre-room so that she can face the camera when cooking, as I guess the Hellmann’s people saw the disastrous This Morning piece where she had her back to the audience. BUT she is still using the camp stove when I am highly doubtful that is safe (I have a camp stove myself, it’s a fair few years old, but there are warnings all over the box saying not to use it indoors). Surely an induction hob would be better. Surprised Hellmann’s are not onto this.
I note she also mentioned “£27 wallpaper” or something like that (is that wallpaper which looks like wood panels?? like a shed) so that means YET ANOTHER trip to Wilkos. But she never goes out!
However I still don’t understand why she’s not using her actual kitchen. At least it has a sink, etc. and, I would assume, all gadgets such as knives and utensils to hand. Which might at least mean she doesn’t keep disappearIng in the middle of her broadcasts (to get water or a knife) to the bafflement of those watching.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
She’s baffling. I can understand the reasoning for some of the lies, like those relating to her finances - poverty is her USP, the lies are still wrong but I get it.
This sums up why , like many people here, I went from a follower of JM to doubter .Poverty was the reason she became visible to a wider audience, and yes, at that point it was her USP. But much of her appeal was because she was one of us- a single mum, relying on benefits , financially struggling through circumstances that could befall anyone. Several years on, with numerous published books, brand deals , tv appearances, engagements to several financially stable women ,Groucho membership etc , for her still to be working poverty as her USP is insulting. She could easily have rebranded herself as an inspirational figure - someone who despite the hurdles of financial circumstance, in addition to being a non binary , trans , single parent- was now financially secure, and wanted to use her experiences and new position/privilege to help others. She could have published a book of basic cooking skills- something that many people her generation ( I’m a similar age) may have not been taught at school, with an emphasis on how these basic skills help make a limited budget go further . She could have done a book of child friendly meals, aimed at parents, who like her, were struggling to make food stretch to feed both children and parents. She could have used her profile to promote the importance of nutrition , and how it food can be used alongside medical intervention, to help manage the medical conditions that she reportedly lives with ,etc. Instead, she has made the decision to retain her living in poverty narrative , working ridiculous hours on a living wage,living alone in “crappy” rented accommodation, with no real support or childcare . Like I’ve said here before, when I first started following JM , I was in a similar situation. I still struggle financially at times, but I have a stable home , my kids are always fed without me needing to sell their favourite toys, I work around the limited childcare ( ie school hours, breakfast/homework club, kindness of my children’s friends parents) available to me. I might not have a smeg fridge, expensive knives,nor expensive perfumes or coats. My last weekend trip away might have been to a caravan park in Hastings with the kids, rather than a cheeky trip to wherever it was that JM went to and had to check in/leave ( I forget which ) the expensive knife. A (rare ) meal out might be at my local pub for the earlybird special rather than at the Groucho shouting at Jude Law to sit down so I can see the results for Redcar . I might not be rich or famous, i might not have the blue tick which deems me worthy of a response. But if I was given the choice between my current lifestyle and JM’s , would I still choose mine? Yes, absolutely!

Really? I like the threads here - they respond to JM when they need to, which is most of the time, and rattle on nicely in between.
this is the first thread here that I have actively engaged in, and it’s precisely because of the inbetween rattle 🙂. Jack is a chef/cook/food blogger/influencer, a political activist/potential MP, a parent, a pet owner, someone who has a experienced relationship breakdowns. Most, if not all, of the slight tangents we have taken have had a starting point in something Jack has said or done. We have been assigned membership to a cabal Of Hausfrauen by her devoted fanbase .there is a shared interest in food/cats/Cookbooks/a certain chefs forearms/seeds/general Hausfaus activities between us all.its like we are our own little micro community within the chat about JM. We care for, and look out for each other. We share our knowledge. We open up to one another. We challenge each other when needed and take the opportunity to challenge and expand our own knowledge and points of view. We are one big maverick, chaotic,weird little brained online family. Which will be very handy post trial when ms 100% legal success record has taken all our assets and we are forced to share one rented crappy bungalow ,cooking our one daily meal of rinsed beans and grated corned beef on a camping stove that is set up in the bathroom, next to the fridge 🙂🙃🙂🙃😉

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
She can’t cook and talk. To be a TV chef that’s a pretty essential skill. Her books sell well. She could record and edit stuff to post on the gram. She doesn’t need to do this to herself. She really doesn‘t.
Yeh I have no idea what the benefit of doing this live is? I just watched about 2mins of the latest and couldn’t continue ( net went down yday so catching up now) but if she has a crew wtf are they doing%? How does she not have the camera round the right way? And why choose 5pm when the briefing is on?

Reactions: 11
This sums up why , like many people here, I went from a follower of JM to doubter .Poverty was the reason she became visible to a wider audience, and yes, at that point it was her USP. But much of her appeal was because she was one of us- a single mum, relying on benefits , financially struggling through circumstances that could befall anyone. Several years on, with numerous published books, brand deals , tv appearances, engagements to several financially stable women ,Groucho membership etc , for her still to be working poverty as her USP is insulting.
Quite simply, she got a taste of the money and the certain fame that came with it. Then it all went to her head, and I can only assume, thought herself as a big wig celebrity and untouchable.

The last few days have shown that she is quickly going down the z list sleb route and will soon be flogging graters on the shopping channel.

Her brand as many call it is pretty much toast, her IG yesterday was simply cringey. Never seen anyone so ill-prepared (no knife), kept leaving, sound going in and out. Someone needs to be very honest with her and tell her she is flogging a dead horse but continuing to embarrass herself.

Good morning.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Yeh I have no idea what the benefit of doing this live is?
Exposure, except now she is getting the wrong kind and only has herself to blame. Additionally, she needs to scrap the scruffy look. Dress a little nicer, or at least iron your shirt.

Reactions: 3
She can’t answer as she had no logical reason for building the Shed Kitchen, then the Dining Room kitchen instead of just using the actual Real kitchen, other than she’s a massive attention seeking drama queen.
Presumably Smeg, if they gave her a fridge, were expecting it to be featured in her live events/ photos etc. What happens if a company give an influencer a product on that basis - is it written in contractual terms?

Reactions: 5
Presumably Smeg, if they gave her a fridge, were expecting it to be featured in her live events/ photos etc. What happens if a company give an influencer a product on that basis - is it written in contractual terms?
Yeah they would want it to be shown if anything was gifted or they were given a "press discount". I assume if she has an expensive new Smeg fridge which she hinted that it was to someone on Twitter, that she bought it herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Regarding the thread her and off topic chat, I think there's a really nice balance. It's only ever chat in the down time when JM is quieter, and it is usually relevant chat that's bouncing off things that JM has said or done. It never completely derails and comes back naturally to JM when she pipes up again! I was always solely over on th Hinch thread before here, but they are busier and move very quickly, and with home schooling I was struggling to keep up anymore. Plus lockdown Hinch is very repetitive 😴. So I parked my bum over here and it's a perfect fit for me ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 24
She is so rude. So bleeping rude. She actually doesn't deserve the platform she has. So bloody tetchy, she really isnt cut out for social media.

Someone threads ago recommended the Louis Theroux podcasts he is doing just now. I love Louis. He has one with Helena Boham Carter which is just wonderful. They talk about what gets written by people online about them and conclude that it is none of their business what other people think of them. So dignified and classy. So un Jack.

Why drive yourself mad seeking out stuff to wind you up?

• Heart
Reactions: 27
"Weeks, months, years of endless abuse and harassment" jeez, she was asked a question about her kitchen! Do her followers not read these exchanges and find them at least a little off?!
They must be seeing how few viewers are watching her live shows.

Reactions: 6
Regarding the thread her and off topic chat, I think there's a really nice balance. It's only ever chat in the down time when JM is quieter, and it is usually relevant chat that's bouncing off things that JM has said or done. It never completely derails and comes back naturally to JM when she pipes up again! I was always solely over on th Hinch thread before here, but they are busier and move very quickly, and with home schooling I was struggling to keep up anymore. Plus lockdown Hinch is very repetitive 😴. So I parked my bum over here and it's a perfect fit for me ☺
I like to think of us as being on secondment 😉

Regarding Jack being rude to her fans... Has she not heard of the expression "don't bite the hand that feeds you"

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
I can't watch her lives, I'm anxious enough without her adding to it second hand but am I correct in thinking she made 2 dishes over 2 45 minute programmes and didn't finish either?

She's so rude!!!
The stove thing she's using is a waste of time. The cauliflower must have still been raw in yesterday's live (before bunging it in the oven). I have no idea why she's not pre-cooking stuff. The whole idea is that it's for leftovers anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.